Lantana for mosquito control

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is a huge outbreak of the chinkunga in Haiti and folks on the Corbett list serve have posted that the Lantana plant has been used in Africa with great sucess in reducing mosquitos..

here is the research PLOS ONE: Repellent Plants Provide Affordable Natural Screening to Prevent Mosquito House Entry in Tropical Rural Settings

The Lantana appears native here I am sure you have seen them.. Lantana camara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

run, get some for inside the house

Also the news is the you can indeed get the chinkunga more than once.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is a huge outbreak of the chinkunga in Haiti and folks on the Corbett list serve have posted that the Lantana plant has been used in Africa with great sucess in reducing mosquitos..

here is the research PLOS ONE: Repellent Plants Provide Affordable Natural Screening to Prevent Mosquito House Entry in Tropical Rural Settings

The Lantana appears native here I am sure you have seen them.. Lantana camara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

run, get some for inside the house

Also the news is the you can indeed get the chinkunga more than once.

FROM YOUR LINK: L. camara reduces the productivity in pasture through the formation of dense thickets which reduce growth of crops as well as make harvesting more difficult. There are also secondary impacts, including the finding that mosquitos which transmit malaria and tsetse flies in Africa shelter within the bushes of L. camara.[28]

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last edited:

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Is deet effective as a repellant? What is effective as an insecticide?

There is a large store of DDT in SD but I don't think usage is permitted. Although my chicken eggs have a thinner shell than I am used to and that can be caused by DDT.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

This is rather anecdotal, but...... I have thyroid problems, for for a couple of years they've been monitoring the nodules that are growing and my blood tests closely.

Well, I have a good friend who is very into essential oils, and actually lectures on them,etc. After we had lunch last fall, just before we left for DR, she sent me a roll-on bottle filled with a concoction that she instructed me to roll onto my thyroid every day. It smelled nice, so I took it with me, and every day I rolled it around my throat. We were in DR for 4 months, and I can count on my fingers how many mosquitos bit me - I'm usually the human target in any gathering.

It turns out that one of the ingredients in it was lemongrass [it was specifically lemongrass and clove, mixed with fractionated coconut oil], which is a natural mosquito repellent. Maybe something to consider.

Had blood work done as soon as we got back, and was much improved.....I'm not sure if that's what did it, but I did smell nice to everyone but the mosquitos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is rather anecdotal, but...... I have thyroid problems, for for a couple of years they've been monitoring the nodules that are growing and my blood tests closely.

Well, I have a good friend who is very into essential oils, and actually lectures on them,etc. After we had lunch last fall, just before we left for DR, she sent me a roll-on bottle filled with a concoction that she instructed me to roll onto my thyroid every day. It smelled nice, so I took it with me, and every day I rolled it around my throat. We were in DR for 4 months, and I can count on my fingers how many mosquitos bit me - I'm usually the human target in any gathering.

It turns out that one of the ingredients in it was lemongrass [it was specifically lemongrass and clove, mixed with fractionated coconut oil], which is a natural mosquito repellent. Maybe something to consider.

Had blood work done as soon as we got back, and was much improved.....I'm not sure if that's what did it, but I did smell nice to everyone but the mosquitos.

Lemongrass, cloves, nasturtiums, catnip....lots of natural insect repellants

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
FROM YOUR LINK: L. camara reduces the productivity in pasture through the formation of dense thickets which reduce growth of crops as well as make harvesting more difficult. There are also secondary impacts, including the finding that mosquitos which transmit malaria and tsetse flies in Africa shelter within the bushes of L. camara.[28][/QUO

well the other study. the controlled one says

A pilot efficacy study was performed in Kagera Region, Tanzania in an area of high seasonal malaria transmission, where consenting families within the study village planted L. camara (Lantana) around their homes and were responsible for maintaining the plants. Questionnaire data on house design, socioeconomic status, malaria prevention knowledge, attitude and practices was collected from 231 houses with Lantana planted around them 90 houses without repellent plants. Mosquitoes were collected using CDC Light Traps between September 2008 and July 2009. Data were analysed with generalised negative binomial regression, controlling for the effect of sampling period. Indoor catches of mosquitoes in houses with Lantana were compared using the Incidence Rate Ratio (IRR) relative to houses without plants in an adjusted analysis. There were 56% fewer Anopheles gambiae s.s. (IRR 0.44, 95% CI 0.28?0.68, p<0.0001); 83% fewer Anopheles funestus s.s. (IRR 0.17, 95% CI 0.09?0.32, p<0.0001), and 50% fewer mosquitoes of any kind (IRR 0.50, 95% CI 0.38?0.67, p<0.0001) in houses with Lantana relative to controls. House screening using Lantana reduced indoor densities of malaria vectors and nuisance mosquitoes with broad community acceptance. Providing sufficient plants for one home costs US $1.50 including maintenance and labour costs, (30 cents per person). L. camara mode of action and suitability for mosquito control is discussed.

that was the first one I cited.. I posted the wiki so that we could see the plant..

there is more evidence that the plant is effective as a repellent
Repellency of Lantana camara (Verben... [J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

i dunno.. I guess either you get fewer mosquitos or they come to bring their families and nest!

Aug 6, 2006
There has been a major outbreak of this virus in Barahona, that seems to have arrived with the rainy season. I am postponing a trip there as a result.

Aug 6, 2006
It is probably a poor idea to spray yourself with Raid.

Deet (and products containing it) is not recommended for regular daily use, either.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Annie, my friend said never to use them directly on skin, but to dilute them in any oil [coconut, olive, etc] so there's less chance of irritation.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

There is a large store of DDT in SD but I don't think usage is permitted. Although my chicken eggs have a thinner shell than I am used to and that can be caused by DDT.

DEET, can be found in most commercially produced repellents, in varying strengths. DDT, on the other hand, is an incecticide, which is found to cause cause cancer in humans. I've used Skin-so-Soft by Avon, and diluted it with water. Makes ya smell kinda girly, though.