Going out in Higuey

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Is there anything of interest where one can go out at day and / or night in Higuey? (No Disco). Like a nice place with a view or such?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
If you're comfortable traveling on your own there is a Zip Line, a Taino Indian Archaeological find, a whitewater rapid (no rafting or tubing), and out of town and a short ride East you have the Bavaro/Punta Cana (La Zona) tourist area, with many tourist parks/activities, and a similar distance West you have Boca de Yuma (thread just posted recently). There are some museums too.

I'm sure there is quality night life, although I can't be specific. I can, if you'd like, get with some locals that can identify some spots. PM is okay.

I have interest(s) in Higuey. If you don't mind me asking, what is yours?

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks, I live in Bavaro. I am asking about the town of Higuey specifically.

"West you have Boca de Yuma (thread just posted recently". I posted pics in that thread...

I am asking about Higuey because of having some change from time to time. Restaurants or such...

If you're comfortable traveling on your own there is a Zip Line, a Taino Indian Archaeological find, a whitewater rapid (no rafting or tubing), and out of town and a short ride East you have the Bavaro/Punta Cana (La Zona) tourist area, with many tourist parks/activities, and a similar distance West you have Boca de Yuma (thread just posted recently.There are some museums too.

I have interests in Higuey. If you don't mind me asking, what is your interest(s)?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Higuey is for the Higueyanos

Higuey is a commercial and the major governmental center for the area. The only things of interest if you have a mind for it, is a visit to the basilica or the museum on its grounds. If you are brave and your nose can hold out you can visit the open market area and get some deals on food and material goods.

The behavior and foundation of Higuey is based on commerce. The city fathers never meant the city to become a tourist or entertainment center as their conservative values are set on strict church doctrine and remains of the cultural fallout from the Trujillo years. Entertainment is in Punta Cana. The city is now being taken over by swarms of motos piloted by hoards of young people, many of whom attend UASD campus. Discos are the things that keep them entertained.

There are no nice views from Higuey unless you are at the top of the basilica arch and see the campos beyond the city.

Caribmike what are your interests? We then can make suggestions.

Regards,

PJT

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Went to the market. My nose is used to smells after 17 yrs here. ;)

"Caribmike what are your interests? We then can make suggestions."

Nothing special. l will need to meet up with somebody from time to time in Higuey. Maybe some place with some privacy where one can sit and talk without the need to shout. Nothing too formal but not "tipico"... Not interested in Discos etc.

Higuey is a commercial and the major governmental center for the area. The only things of interest if you have a mind for it, is a visit to the basilica or the museum on its grounds. If you are brave and your nose can hold out you can visit the open market area and get some deals on food and material goods.

The behavior and foundation of Higuey is based on commerce. The city fathers never meant the city to become a tourist or entertainment center as their conservative values are set on strict church doctrine and remains of the cultural fallout from the Trujillo years. Entertainment is in Punta Cana. The city is now being taken over by swarms of motos piloted by hoards of young people, many of whom attend UASD campus. Discos are the things that keep them entertained.

There are no nice views from Higuey unless you are at the top of the basilica arch and see the campos beyond the city.

Caribmike what are your interests? We then can make suggestions.

Regards,

PJT

Feb 7, 2007
I recommend

Mariscos la Delicia - the Chef is former Captain Cook chef. I know the owner nice guy and can even accompany you for a small talk after the diner, if he is there. Good food, prices are ok for being the DR (where eating out is not cheap). They are on Calle Libertad, behind basilica, just half a block away form Laboratorio Referencia.

D'Yira Restaurant - nationwide famous Mofongo, people come even from far away places to eat there. They are on Hermanos Trejo, about a block from Claro office (if coming form 3 cruses they will be on your left side, if from Santo Domingo direction, on the right side). You have to look for it because the entrance is a bit of "hidden".

Besides that, there are not that many places to eat out. There are two more restaurants on Boulevard but they are not even much frequented by the locals.

Later at night, you may want to grab a drink in Mamajuana Cafe, on Juan XXIII just before reaching Carretera Mella (1 block away form Super Higueyano). It is a bit more intimate than the second option, Go Drink, on Carreterea Mella in front of Esso Gas station, where especially on weekend night huge crowds gather. (Carr. Mella is the road that goes from 3 Cruces towards El Seybo and passes Iberia supermarket).

PM me when you plan to go, if you like we can grab a drink or a beer.

Feb 7, 2007
The "meeting places" can be - the two restaurants I mentioned, Hotel Don Carlos, Monte's (on both Texaco and Esso gas station), Taco Loco (I have to check if they are still open) they were/are on Hermanos Trejo just by the traffic lights in the middle (between 3 Cruces and Isla).

Other than that, the Cafeteria in Iberia, Higueyano or La Sirena. But over there in La Sirena you've got also Pappa John's.

And I think with this list we have run out of suitable places. This place has 150,000 people but you can count on your fingers the suitable places for meeting somebody (e.g. for business).

Nothing too formal but not "tipico"

LOL There is nothing that can be called even half-formal in Higuey ;)
The restaurants mentioned would be as best as it gets.

Feb 7, 2007
Another place that came to mind that can be suitable is in Plaza Taveras Center (Carr. Mella in front of Texaco gas station). There are two places there... one is a sushi place, and also Reposteria Zoila (2nd floor), nice place you can sit inside or outside and sweeten your life with a piece of cake or other treat and a cappuccino. They also offer free wifi. It's not your typical Dominican Reposteria. https://www.facebook.com/reposteria.zoila

Also there is a new restaurant called something-fusion, a new place but I have not been there yet, it is in front of Monte Santa Maria, just a block before the ferreteria La Imagen (Carr. Mella leaving towards El Seybo, about 500 mts after Iberia) it would be on your left side. The banner claims they offer gourmet food.

Last edited:

pgbeau1

Feb 14, 2010
This is not directly in Higuey, but is very nearby. My friend Kevin runs el fuego del sol, a non-profit that benefits Dominicans and Haitians. Kevin is a great humanitarian and lives nearby in Santana on a huge plot of land that includes half of a small mountain. If Kevin is in the area, it is worth a trip to see his place and hear about the work he does tirelessly for the needy. Also a nice little tour of his land and mountain, it is very quiet and peaceful and has some nice views, and I'm sure Kevin will be glad to share a cold beer and chat if he is around. You can contact him to see if and when he is around and might be at his compound in Santana. You can email him through his web site, el fuego del sol, and mention Paul from Boston suggested you contact him. Let me know how it goes.
https://sites.google.com/a/elfuegodelsol.com/elfuego/

Paul

May 29, 2006
One of my spots is Lago Verde in Villa Cerro. Small floating bar on pontoons and usually no one there. Free WiFi and relaxed. Good place to hang out afternoons if you bring friends.

We also go to the Boulevard for Karaoke nights. Not too loud and they seem to practice.

Patio de Pepe is OK for light meals and has clean open kitchen. Nice garden patio and clean bathrooms. Italian?

Mi esposa likes the disco near IBERIA. We go salsa dancing there with dance class students~she instructs part time for fun.

One other place I like is Cafe Naranja(?). It-s on the street behind Zagul close to it. Nice small bar with regs open to the street.

New ice cream place is VERY good but I forget the name. Italian franchise.. glass bowls!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Tony pizza is now some other pizza. Not tried it yet so you can go and report :)

Where is this floating bar in villa cero? I might give it a try.

May 29, 2006
After you cross the bridge to Villa Cerro, it's down a side street 100 yards past CrediGas on your left. The entrance is opposite Pollo Unico. There's a small park there as well.