Brazil's streets look just like the DR -pics

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
These photos show the streets of Brazil looking much cleaner than in the DR, but there are definitely many similarities especially with the landscape. Thanks for the post!

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
My wife and I were debating the other day about the safety and cleanliness of a Brazilllian favela versus the safety/cleanliness of a bario in Santo Domingo. Anybody been to both places and have first hand knowledge about the relative differences and similarities between the two?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My wife and I were debating the other day about the safety and cleanliness of a Brazilllian favela versus the safety/cleanliness of a bario in Santo Domingo. Anybody been to both places and have first hand knowledge about the relative differences and similarities between the two?

It's a lot more violent in Brazil as the drug gangs have or had almost complete control.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011

I have an apt in Villa Mella for my wife and I when we visit her family. I've no intention of going up into the
favelas. I was in Rio and Sao Paulo last week for a short biz trip... Parts of Rio and Santos reminded me a bit of SD. (Brahma Choppe in annoyingly small qtys...where's my Jumbo!?). My driver insisted on taking me
to churrasco upon picking me up at the the airport in S?o Paulo after which he also insisted on showing me the
"sights" in the port of Santos where my meeting was the next day.

At the foot of the hills where favelas are is very dangerous as many (as pointed out) are controlled entirely by
The drug trade. Large groups of crack addicts could be seen scoring and publicly lighting up here at the base
of the foothills on the way to my hotel. And the safety warnings were as strong in Brazil as I've seen. Pacification and relocation programs are big here, with the government building apartment complexes and relocating folks
out of the favelas into free housing ....but guess what they have to pay for once in the new apartments ? Luz!
Sound familiar? Not very popular, and a bigger issue where World Cup and Olympic construction is forcing folks
out of their homes.

Beyond that, S?o Paulo is a massive massive city, and Rio is stunning. And I find the favala tourist trips curious
If not exploitive , and rather sad for obvious reasons, but in truth I did not go so I can't really speak to them.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
They are probably keeping them clean-er because of the World Cup.

I am sure that Brazil does not want any TV coverage on the World Cup to focus on their slums. They want people to see the beauty of Rio and the women on the beach.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am sure that Brazil does not want any TV coverage on the World Cup to focus on their slums. They want people to see the beauty of Rio and the women on the beach.

as we speak, the Brazilian government has its fingers crossed that Brazil does not get eliminated too early in the proceedings, because if they do, there is going to be some ugly civil unrest there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is ALREADY a LOT of,"Ugly Civil Unrest" there!
The people are not happy about the money spent on hosting the "FIFA World Cup" instead of on helping them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It's not REAL FOOTBALL anyway, it's for Sissies!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC