writing comprehensive travel guide to "real" DR

D

drtravelguide

Hey guys, how you doing ? I've been lurker on this forum for a long time...
I lived in DR for almost one year..By "lived" I mean that I traveled a lot in this beautiful yet crazy country on my own motorbike...
I spend like that around 9 months...Always staying in cheap hotels, always riding on bike, talking with Dominicans and having some fun with the girls etc. etc.
Therefore, I think that I met this country fairly well...
So now I have idea...I plan to write comprehensive guide to "cheap" DR, written by someone who lived like that and enjoyed it...Yeah yeah...I heard it already..."you cant live in DR if you dont have 2k USD/month and if you dont live inside gated community"...Yet, I got like up to 1k/usd monthly, I changed (cheap) hotels every few days, I ate well, I had other fun times and I totally did it - almost one year of adventure for under 1000 usd/monthly...
So my question is: Would you be interested in buying such guide to DR ? Inside this guide there would be a lot of listings of really cheap (yet decent hotels) in few dozens places in DR (actually - almost every place worth visiting in this country in my country), some tips on living in DR, most beautiful places, interesting beaches, places in the mountains and near the lakes+ some sociological and antropological observations from Dominican Republic...In total it would be like maybe 50 pages of A4 text converted into really nice designed ;-) blog - guide to DR...
Do you see place in the market for such thing ? Would you buy it ? It would be definately for the people who like adventures and such type of travel...unfortunately i haven't seen so many of them in DR during my stay in there...Too bad, as this country is worth it, with nice and friendly people....
Thanx !

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Hey guys, how you doing ? I've been lurker on this forum for a long time...
I lived in DR for almost one year..By "lived" I mean that I traveled a lot in this beautiful yet crazy country on my own motorbike...
I spend like that around 9 months...Always staying in cheap hotels, always riding on bike, talking with Dominicans and having some fun with the girls etc. etc.
So now I have idea...I plan to write comprehensive guide to "cheap" DR, written by someone who lived like that and enjoyed it...Yeah yeah...I heard it already..."you cant live in DR if you dont have 2k USD/month and if you dont live inside gated community"...Yet, I got like up to 1k/usd monthly, I changed (cheap) hotels every few days, I ate well, I had other fun times and I totally did it - almost one year of adventure for under 1000 usd/monthly...
So my question is: Would you be interested in buying such guide to DR ? Inside this guide there would be a lot of listings of really cheap (yet decent hotels) in few dozens places in DR (actually - almost every place worth visiting in this country in my country), some tips on living in DR, most beautiful places, interesting beaches, places in the mountains and near the lakes+ some sociological and antropological observations from Dominican Republic...In total it would be like maybe 50 pages of A4 text converted into really nice designed ;-) blog - guide to DR...
Do you see place in the market for such thing ? Would you buy it ? It would be definately for the people who like adventures and such type of travel...unfortunately i haven't seen so many of them in DR during my stay in there...Too bad, as this country is worth it, with nice and friendly people....
Thanx !

Who is your target audience? Families, Backpackers or guys who go to the DR to have fun with girls?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Asking us is probably the wrong place. Most of us are familiar with the DR and/or already live here. And I agree that you have to focus your book at a specific target audience. Advertising your finished book here would be a good idea since new people scan this site looking for such information.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Just don't call it "The Real DR", different people have different perception of reality!

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Always staying in cheap hotels, always riding on bike, talking with Dominicans and having some fun with the girls etc. etc.
So now I have idea...I plan to write comprehensive guide to "cheap" DR, written by someone who lived like that and enjoyed it. Would you be interested in buying such guide to DR ? Inside this guide there would be a lot of listings of really cheap (yet decent hotels) in few dozens places in DR (actually - almost every place worth visiting in this country in my country), some tips on living in DR, most beautiful places, interesting beaches, places in the mountains and near the lakes+ some sociological and antropological observations from Dominican Republic...In total it would be like maybe 50 pages of A4 text converted into really nice designed ;-) blog - guide to DR...
Do you see place in the market for such thing ? Would you buy it ?

I wouldn't buy it as there is already a wealth of free information on the internet. Also, I've already traveled around the DR without guide books and I know others who have as well.

As far as the part about fun with girls ... you may want to checkout people like Cuba Dave, the Hobo Traveler, or Mulano who have been doing this with their own opinions already.

[video=youtube;gIL7ufR876E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIL7ufR876E[/video]

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Isn't it what Lonely planet guides do ? Geared to backpackers, or travelers on the cheap (although it is less and less geared toward them).

The reason why Backpackers are not that frequent in DR is because the Caribbean is not cheap as opposed to let's say Central America. Also, when people think about DR, they immediately think Punta Cana and that is the opposite of what travelers on the cheap are looking for. For some reasons, countries like Mexico have managed to market themselves beyond Cancun, but not DR.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Wrong people to ask, especially me. I would have said no one would pay five bucks for a cup of coffee.

D

drtravelguide

Who is your target audience? Families, Backpackers or guys who go to the DR to have fun with girls?

and that is good question...I know who is not in my target audience - families, and people who dont like adventures...backpackers ? Unfortunately they dont exist that much in DR except Cabarete area...but how can you be real backpacker when you stay in one place ? I also got backpack with me...mounted to the backseat of bike and that was the ride...

D

drtravelguide

Just don't call it "The Real DR", different people have different perception of reality!

I wont. By "real" DR I meant DR outside Punta Cana all inclusive resort, as - unfortunately - most of the people come to this country that way...On the other hand - as i remember many situations when I was living in DR which made me totally frustrated - i can understand these people ;-) But adventure is always adventure :)

D

drtravelguide

I mispelled it...There wont be so much text about "fun with girls"...Real gentlemen dont post about such things....
However, there are few articles about general women situation in DR and hookers....and so on.
I wouldn't buy it as there is already a wealth of free information on the internet. Also, I've already traveled around the DR without guide books and I know others who have as well.

As far as the part about fun with girls ... you may want to checkout people like Cuba Dave, the Hobo Traveler, or Mulano who have been doing this with their own opinions already.

[video=youtube;gIL7ufR876E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIL7ufR876E[/video]

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Sounds to me like you would be aiming at a very small audience who like to do things on the cheap. Would these people pay for a guide or would they prefer to just go explore for themselves!
I do think you're asking in the wrong place!

D

drtravelguide

I red Lonely Planet - DR. Hotels listed there cost from 30 $/night, which isnt really backpackers budget...Lonely Planet got paid by hotels owners and listed them....In reality in DR cheapest (yet beareable) hotels start from 7 usd/night, for 10-12$ you always get something really nice...
So -it is cheap....Like I said before, my daily budget in DR was like 30 $/ day on average and in that I got cheap hotel (changed every few days), decent food (sometimes I cooked myself ) , some beer, some smoke, some wine, - once in a while, lot of juices and fruit milkshakes, gasoline for my motorbike (and repairs also), daily internet access for few hours in centros de internet ;-)) and some fun like massage - also once in while... so definately not so expensive....ask me how ? buy my blog hehhe ;-)
Isn't it what Lonely planet guides do ? Geared to backpackers, or travelers on the cheap (although it is less and less geared toward them).

The reason why Backpackers are not that frequent in DR is because the Caribbean is not cheap as opposed to let's say Central America. Also, when people think about DR, they immediately think Punta Cana and that is the opposite of what travelers on the cheap are looking for. For some reasons, countries like Mexico have managed to market themselves beyond Cancun, but not DR.

D

drtravelguide

unfortunately, maybe you are right about audience...
but forum is totally DR related, so it is always worth to ask ;-) cheers
Sounds to me like you would be aiming at a very small audience who like to do things on the cheap. Would these people pay for a guide or would they prefer to just go explore for themselves!
I do think you're asking in the wrong place!

Aug 6, 2006
I have not read all the guides to the DR. My favorite is the Rough Guide to the DR. I would certainly pay up to $US20 for a really good guide to how to travel around the DR on the same transportation that Dominicans use: guaguas, Caribetours, Metro and such, and stay in hotels where Dominicans stay, rather than AI resorts. I would like a guidebook that tells of specific incidents that occur on a trip of the sort that Frank12 writes in this forum. A good guidebook should tell you how to get out of and into all the airports without having to take an expensive cab ride. It also should give the rates in effect at the time of writing,and somewhere in your guide it should tell when you sent it to the printers.

I don't think I would try to limit the guidebook exclusively to backpackers or families, but should include information for all types of visitors and travelers.

My idea of a pretty good guidebook is the Lets Go Guide to Ecuador and the Galapagos. It has been the very best guidebook I have ever used.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Lonely Planet does promote hotels or hostels from befriended owners that is true.

I do think that they do promote hostels which would be reliable. I am sure you can get cheaper accomodation but it is not always safe or clean. But for example eco tourism could be more promoted.. Also the area around Santiago is great for mountain biking but I dont see this being advertised.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I red Lonely Planet - DR. Hotels listed there cost from 30 $/night, which isnt really backpackers budget...Lonely Planet got paid by hotels owners and listed them....In reality in DR cheapest (yet beareable) hotels start from 7 usd/night, for 10-12$ you always get something really nice...
So -it is cheap....Like I said before, my daily budget in DR was like 30 $/ day on average and in that I got cheap hotel (changed every few days), decent food (sometimes I cooked myself ) , some beer, some smoke, some wine, - once in a while, lot of juices and fruit milkshakes, gasoline for my motorbike (and repairs also), daily internet access for few hours in centros de internet ;-)) and some fun like massage - also once in while... so definately not so expensive....ask me how ? buy my blog hehhe ;-)

Lonely Planet has had some quality issues to say the least. I bought it back in the days for central america, thought, it was good.

Speaking of that, I found, the guide I bought for DR 5 years ago (rough guide which was supposedly the best for DR) and the info is so outdated (at least Samana area where I go).

I wish you good luck, it is an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I won't be buying your blog since I am done with my backpacking days, lol.

D

drtravelguide

If I'd use transport that Dominicans use I would be so exhausted that I wouldnt have time to write this guide ;-) I travelled on motorbike and that was the best for me - thanx to that I saw lot of places and I was free to go whenever I wanted...
Cheap hotels ? of course...I stayed only in those...There are around 50 listed/ described in there - in maybe 20-30 places...
Accidents ? Yeah I got a lot of them...maybe not so "frank" as those of Frank...;-) Plus I got a lot of observations and descriptions of Dominican Reality....and its various aspects
It would be online blog with members area access...accessable in any place with internet...no printed version

I have not read all the guides to the DR. My favorite is the Rough Guide to the DR. I would certainly pay up to $US20 for a really good guide to how to travel around the DR on the same transportation that Dominicans use: guaguas, Caribetours, Metro and such, and stay in hotels where Dominicans stay, rather than AI resorts. I would like a guidebook that tells of specific incidents that occur on a trip of the sort that Frank12 writes in this forum. A good guidebook should tell you how to get out of and into all the airports without having to take an expensive cab ride. It also should give the rates in effect at the time of writing,and somewhere in your guide it should tell when you sent it to the printers.

I don't think I would try to limit the guidebook exclusively to backpackers or families, but should include information for all types of visitors and travelers.

My idea of a pretty good guidebook is the Lets Go Guide to Ecuador and the Galapagos. It has been the very best guidebook I have ever used.