Una Golondrina No Hace Un Verano

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
As a lifetime NE US citizen I was always intrigued by the stories of the Return of the Swallows to Capistrano and curious about the saying ?One Swallow Doesn?t Make a Summer.? I knew swallows were small, I thought they were mixed in with the sparrows and wrens, and so never had a physical sense of them.

Now living in the Bavaro area I was curious of these mini-missiles that would dart around with a distinct wing span/spread, most noticeably to me around dusk. As such, I thought they might be bats. I asked a local and they replied no, they are golondrinas. When I googled ?translate? lo and behold I had my physical sense of the swallow.

I have learned other things about American culture from Dominican culture. Dare I ask if anyone else on the forum can relate? Yes I do. Has anyone else learned of their home culture from their DR experience?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, in polish we say jedna jask?łka wiosny nie czyni which means one swallow does not make a spring. spring, not summer. no i learn something from you already.

we have golondrinas here on the golf course as well. in poland people say that law flying golondrinas mean the rain is coming. i was surprised to find that dominicans believe the same.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My father grew up in very poor areas in Charleston, SC that had small homes with corner stores and small business everywhere you go and people and kids milling around from what I was told. Also, people knew their neighbors and let their kids play in the neighborhood without concern. Old guys would always be found at the local market talking or playing aboard game. It is just like that in many places in the DR. I am basically living my fathers childhood but as an adult.