Tourists getting sick in AI

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
'Sickness, vomiting and diarrhoea': ?50,000 payout for couple whose dream Caribbean beach wedding turned into a nightmare after bug wiped out seven family members
Terry and Keeley Ford paid ?8,300 for all-inclusive wedding and honeymoon
Six members of wedding party and newlyweds fell ill at the four-star resort
Bride claimed almost raw meat was served during their stay in 2009

Read more: ?50,000 Thomas Cook payout for couple whose dream Caribbean beach wedding turned into 'a nightmare' | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The pink burger surprised me ...... As someone who prefers med-rare, I've never seen it. Dominicans like their meat double-well done. They can turn the best steak into leather. I BBQ'd some salmon steaks and our caretaker wouldn't eat his......because it was pink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
I don't ever eat beef in the DR anymore, AI or otherwise. Thanks to DR1 and Frank12, I am paranoid it is all donkey meat!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many of these folks fall ill in dominican AI due to eating like pigs and getting sloshed day after day so i always look at stories like this with serious doubt. and the idiots b**ch about hurricane too. hello, fools, hurricane season, ever heard of that?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Oh, do you know what love, I think that third burger was a bit off, I don't feel too clever, HEY, MIGUEL, TWO MORE PINA COLADAS OVER HERE AND DON'T BE TIGHT WITH THE RUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry love, did you want a drink too?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
people eat and drink so much in AI because only then they feel they got their money worth.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Put people that hardly see the sun on the beach all day drinking and eating fruit they've never seen before and tada, big problem!

I've never been sick over food but not being much of a drinker I once had 2 pina coladas. My mom didn't want hers and they were so nice and cold so of course I drank them too fast. I slept for hours and had a hard time waking up. I think that was the last time I had a pina colada with 151 rum :)

BTW it's suggested that hamburger always be well cooked. That is what they say on cooking shows

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I have stayed AI in the DR 12 times. Once I got sick--24 hour thing. It seems there was a bug going around due to there being a lot of rain.

I have to agree with those who say the people who get sick generally eat and drink like pigs. You see the same thing on cruises.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Well I have stayed in AIs a few times and I have to say that I have only been sick because I ate the salad, can't help it, I see salad and I want to eat it, I should remember that they don't clean it properly (if at all) and of course what water do they use?

Sorry to hear they were sick but I know for a fact that we Brits if we see a pub open, we are in there like a shot and it must have been last bell for hours at a time, in other words, see how many you can get down you before you have to leave (totally legless). Add that with the sun = dehydration etc.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hey, maybe it was the milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;9dhOXhbYgsY]x[/video]

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have gotten sick at an AI before but it was all my fault. Alcohol and sun do not always go well together. When my family goes to an AI they follow a simple rule as far as food...little by little and see what agrees with you. While you may be able to eat the exact same food at home, here things are prepared a bit different (seasoning, oil, etc..) so it is best to take it slow and see what agrees with you. I have a friend who goes to PC twice yearly and each time her ankles swell due to the sodium in the food. Doesn't happen at home but here it always does. She knows this so she is careful. Many who come to AI's are determined to get their monies worth as far as food and alcohol. They do not even give it a second thought. It is a shame to have this happen on your wedding/honeymoon but that is when I think you would be most careful in what you eat or drink.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Getting sick abroad (and by abroad I mean anywhere you're not used to going and don't know what the standards are (if any)) is as easy as brushing your teeth with tap water.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i visited DR 3 times before moving in. stayed in AI. never got sick. on my last trip i had longaniza, in my in laws (to be) house. just before leaving too. let's just say it's a good thing that plane toilets are so small you can s**t and puke at the same time. i was ill for a week.

i think it will not come as a surprise if i say that i tried longaniza again, after i moved here. 3 days sick. i was determined to make it happen so i ate longaniza again. 24 hours sick. i have revised my strategy and now boil and then fry longaniza. never been sick again.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Once again it is blame the victim mentality.
It couldn't have been that there was a hurricane the night of the wedding which caused sanitary conditions to be bad.
Eating, drinking too much and too much sun are not going to make a whole group of people sick for several days.
The resort would not have paid a penny if they knew it was not some food or sanitary issue that caused the illness.
I have been at a resort during a holiday. Conditions were not up to par. The resort was not prepared for so many guests. Many people got sick. SERIOUSLY sick!
Please do not blame the victims.

May 29, 2006
I'd almost worry about the lettuce washed in the tap water more than the under-cooked beef. Buffets are like Petri dishes for food poisoning and with air temps between 80? and 100?, the conditions are optimal in the Tropics. Hot foods should be no less than 135? after being fully cooked (usually to 150?, 165? for chicken) and cold foods should be no more than 40?. Imported ground beef should be safe above 135?(med rare), but I wouldn't trust any ground beef processed in the DR to less than 155?(med well)

As for "being sure," that's why institutional kitchens in the US keep records of food temps from start to finish. They document the cooler temps at least twice a day, temp the food when it's first cooked, and then again when it's in the buffet at least once an hour.

It could have been food poisoning, but without tests, it could have just as well have been Norovirus, which is spread by hand and surface contact. You can get that just by touching a doorknob or stair railing and it's very common in resorts and cruise ships.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Please do not blame the victims.

please blame the victims. many get ill, few sue. because there is nothing like 50k for a week of stomach pain. i just hope their lawyers took a large chunk of it.