Strength for the Journey Children's Movie Night

Aug 21, 2007
Last evening, Strength for the Journey held their first children's movie night (free) in the newly completed community center, space that is shared with a church across from Infiniti Blu in Sosua. Not knowing what to expect, I embarrassed myself by arriving in my sweaty clothes after a busy day of running around. Children and adults, on the other hand, came smelling of a fresh bath and wearing their Sunday go-to-church clothes. Many of these children come from very poor neighborhood pockets surrounding Infiniti Blu and Hispaniola Beach. For them, to see the movie "Frozen" on a big screen with sound amplification provided by the church sound system was a real treat. All were quiet during the dramatic parts. During the scenes with basic children's humor, the kids all laughed themselves silly. It was delightful!

We gave each attendee a mini bottle of refresca, purchased from Latino's Market below. Latino's has been very supportive of our foundation's activities. De'Colores, the pizza place next door provided provided the pizzas. Each child was treated to one slice. (It takes a village, you know.......)

Strength for the Journey hopes to make movie night into a regular event. To do so, we will need to build a small collection of children's movies and cartoon "shorts" in Spanish. If anyone has DVD's of good children's movies in Spanish that they are willing to share or loan, it would be possible to continue holding this event at a very minimal cost.

If you have a movie you are willing to donate or loan, please send me a PM.

Thank you, dr1 members, for your ongoing support. You, too, are Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Last evening, Strength for the Journey held their first children's movie night (free) in the newly completed community center, space that is shared with a church across from Infiniti Blu in Sosua. Not knowing what to expect, I embarrassed myself by arriving in my sweaty clothes after a busy day of running around. Children and adults, on the other hand, came smelling of a fresh bath and wearing their Sunday go-to-church clothes. Many of these children come from very poor neighborhood pockets surrounding Infiniti Blu and Hispaniola Beach. For them, to see the movie "Frozen" on a big screen with sound amplification provided by the church sound system was a real treat. All were quiet during the dramatic parts. During the scenes with basic children's humor, the kids all laughed themselves silly. It was delightful!

We gave each attendee a mini bottle of refresca, purchased from Latino's Market below. Latino's has been very supportive of our foundation's activities. De'Colores, the pizza place next door provided provided the pizzas. Each child was treated to one slice. (It takes a village, you know.......)

Strength for the Journey hopes to make movie night into a regular event. To do so, we will need to build a small collection of children's movies and cartoon "shorts" in Spanish. If anyone has DVD's of good children's movies in Spanish that they are willing to share or loan, it would be possible to continue holding this event at a very minimal cost.

If you have a movie you are willing to donate or loan, please send me a PM.

Thank you, dr1 members, for your ongoing support. You, too, are Strength for the Journey.

Lindsey

Lindsay, people like yourself and La Profe make the world a better place. thanks for being the antithesis to some of the selfish egomaniacs we have to encounter along the way.

neural

Dec 12, 2012
I concur Mr.Gorgon. It does take a village, and these children have been blessed by an international village of friends and
supporters through SFTJ. Hope and dignity are the greatest gifts that SFTJ gives to these children and young mothers.

Blessings to you Lindsey!

Neural

Aug 21, 2007
Neural and Gorgon, I appreciate your kind comments, but this is not about me. It is about the children and youth of Sosua. Many on the site complain about lack of things to do in Sosua. For Dominican children and families living here, imagine how limited their lives are. I am certain that those who attended our movie night last evening had never been to a real movie theater. For them, this experience was bigger than life. It is such a simple, yet powerful experience to provide. And it gave such enjoyment and pleasure to many for just a couple hours' sacrifice on my part. That is what makes it worthwhile.

Lindsey