Hello DR1 Newbee from Ontario Canada

Bombardieri

Jul 20, 2012
Hola DR1!

Hi, my name is Michelle/married with a 24 and 13 year old son. New to the site, first time posting and well...looking forward to reading an abundant amount of posts. Would like to meet and hopefully become friends with some locals or expats from the Sosua/Cabarete area....We are able to converse in English, French, Italian and some Spanish. Currently studying Spanish at home...but would love to just simply be thrown into it. When we travel to Spanish speaking countries, we're saturated...then you leave and ...well, without use....it gets stale! Have been looking at relocating to the DR in a tourist sort of way....been contemplating and doing research for the past 2 years...along with some travels here and there. Would like to keep ourselves involved with people and was wondering if its possible to pick up a cpl hours of work here and there...what better way than to mingle with the locals as well as with the expats. Skills on both ends would be bakery/kitchen/embroidery/silk screening with partner having extensive experience in the field of building maintenance. Any info would be appreciated...please feel free to inbox me anytime...or if interested in being chat mates ...this would be welcomed also.
?Tenga un d?a bueno! Gracias, Michelle

Last edited by a moderator:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe to "Work Legally", but not to "Work"!
MANY foreigners work here with no visa, or work permit.
Especially in tourist area service/sales jobs.
Check out the DR1 "Classifieds" there are jobs listed there.
Coming to the DR, HOPING to find a job to pay living expenses is not a great idea.
Especially with kids.
It is NOT a "Cheap Paradise", it is EXPENSIVE, and you will get to decide about the "Paradise" part!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
Welcome Michelle ... you can write me anytime were also new to DR, and have a place in Cabarete. Send me a PM

-Serge

Last edited by a moderator:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hola DR1!

Hi, my name is Michelle/married with a 24 and 13 year old son. New to the site, first time posting and well...looking forward to reading an abundant amount of posts. Would like to meet and hopefully become friends with some locals or expats from the Sosua/Cabarete area....We are able to converse in English, French, Italian and some Spanish. Currently studying Spanish at home...but would love to just simply be thrown into it. When we travel to Spanish speaking countries, we're saturated...then you leave and ...well, without use....it gets stale! Have been looking at relocating to the DR in a tourist sort of way....been contemplating and doing research for the past 2 years...along with some travels here and there. Would like to keep ourselves involved with people and was wondering if its possible to pick up a cpl hours of work here and there...what better way than to mingle with the locals as well as with the expats. Skills on both ends would be bakery/kitchen/embroidery/silk screening with partner having extensive experience in the field of building maintenance. Any info would be appreciated...please feel free to inbox me anytime...or if interested in being chat mates ...this would be welcomed also.
?Tenga un d?a bueno! Gracias, Michelle

Michelle:

Welcome. The next time you visit the DR come to the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. There is a large European ex-pat population, predominently French and Italian. With your language skills who would be perfect for this area. Good luck.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Welcome!

Are you a snowbird??

Welcome! As you can see from my join date, I am a newcomer as well. This is a thriving forum. Although I am not new to the D.R. -- this is my eighth time here in six years and, when I come, I stay for one-half year, or more; this time; one year.

But, as they say, "two heads are better than one." I think you will be equally impressed by the quality of the knowledge and expertise of many folk at this forum.

Those pesky and lingering questions? Ask away! Enjoy and be safe!