Migracion.........FRUSTRATING talking to them

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
So, I have been in email contact with Migracion. Simple question?? Asked how much tax would I have to pay on exit from the Dominican Republic after my 5 month stay. They were very quick with respond and said that both my husband and myself would have to pay. Huh??? That's not what I asked. Second email sent I again asked them how much would we have to pay?? Their second answer.......You have to pay exit tax. Huh?? 3RD email I said to them I understand that we will have to pay upon exit, but can you please tell me how much?? Their third answer..........You have to pay in pesos......GRRRRRRR. 4th email from me once again I told them we FULLY UNDERSTOOD we have to pay in pesos upon exit but please tell me how much we would have to pay????? I guess they got fed up with me because I am still waiting for the answer to my Simple Question??? Anybody know the answer????? Is there EVEN ONE!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Direccion General de Migracion

read the part:
Menor de 30 dias Hasta 3 meses 800.00
Mayor de 3 mese Hasta 9 meses 1,000.00
Mayor de 9 meses Hasta 1 a?o 2,500.00
Mayor de 1 a?o Hasta 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00
Mayor de 1 a?o y medio Hasta 2 a?os 5,000.00
Mayor de 2 a?os Hasta 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00
Mayor de 2 a?os y medio Hasta 3 a?os 9,000.00
Mayor de 3 a?os Hasta 5 a?os 14,000.00
Mayor de 5 a?os Hasta 7 a?os 17,000.00
Mayor de 7 a?os en adelante por c/ a?o adicional 500.00

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The answer has been posted here many times
Over 30 day to 3 months RD$800

Dont know what 5 months is but there is a bracket for up to nine months.

I am sure DV* can tell you ?

Olly and the Team

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks guys...........but just looked now at my email and voila!! migracion says that we have to pay 1000.00 us dollars PER PERSON............???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If only the search function worked. That is why people have to ask the same question over and over. Going to Google and looking for the topic with DR1 in the search field works better.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
sorry dv8 but they CLEARLY said DOLLARS!!!!! Im not stupid, just wanted to go to the horses mouth so I would not get any surprises on exit. I, too, thought should be pesos. will clear all this up.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Look, this is dead simple. I have done this overstay and pay on exit many times as I am sure others have too.

The scale of charges above is correct, any time between 3 and 9 months is 1000 PESOS per person.

As I understand it 5 falls between 3 and 9, so 1000 PESOS per person it is.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Just go the airport and pay the $1000.00 with 1,000 pesos. Move on people, nothing to see here!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
clearly said DOLLARS in type

At immigration at SDQ, there is a chart hanging right in plain site. I presume it's hanging in all DR airports. It is identical to the one that dv8 posted, except next to the pesos it lists the amount in US dollars too. You'll pay 1000 pesos.

Don't stress about this, thousands of us have done it multiple times.

katalina

Jan 14, 2014
The dominican republic marches to the tune of a different drummer. The government employees do not give striaght answers because there is no set rule...all rules are and can be bent....just have to know how to approach the problem. Here is a recent example......my husband overstayed by about 7 years. We where to leave by way of puerto plata but at the last minute left by bus to haiti and flew to Montreal. Caribe tours people took our passports at the border, we asked no questions and nobody asked about the 500 usd departure fee my husband should have paid.

My plan, should we have left at puerto plata, was to bribe the immigration officer with a few pesos and I would have also had the 500usd with me in case that did not work. The thing that gets gringos confused is there is no dire consequence for trying to bride a government official so why not try. Here in Montreal I do business within the laws of Canada so why don?t you and others like you pay attention to the way business is conducted in the DR and stop worrying. Smile life is too short to sweat the small stuff and it is all small stuff.