Would Pricesmart have...?

J

JBase

Hi everyone,
I typically buy things online that I can't find in stores, and ship them here. I wanted to know if Pricesmart carries Low carb foods ( Pita Bread, Tortillas, etc)? Also, I can't find Sriracha sauce anywhere. Would they have is as well? If not, anyone know of an Asian Supermarket that has a good variety of things?
Thanks

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Saw many times Sriracha in super markets but they dont have it at pricesmart

For tortillas, PriceSmart sells the pita bread from La Libanesa... Only thing is pita/tortillas are never low carbs, they are high carbs, like bread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

JBase

Mmmm...might need to search again. Do you remember which supermarket you saw it at? And also, I was actually looking for Reduced carb/flax Pita Bread. Lol...yeah, I know, probably asking for too much? ;-)

Thank you jeanchris

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
I too have seen the Sriracha here in SD. National carried it a couple years ago. I've noticed once I find a product I like most places change the brand they carry. The DR runs on carbs (I think ede uses it for a couple power plants lol)... Carbs and oil. I was raised a health person and the first year here I believe I consumed more oil (fried foods) then I had my entire life. Always an adventure looking for speciality items. They have their version of Walmart here now they need a dominican WholeFoods. Best of luck JBase and I'm sure someone here will have better details for you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
All supermarkets sell pita bread (best local brand is Terra Santa but Libanesa is more common) and Mexican style tortillas.

If you are in Santo Domingo, Asiatico is an Asian minimarket on Av. 27 de Febrero just past the intersection with Av. Privada (going west). There are several Chinese minimarkets in Chinatown and on Av. R?mulo Betancourt. There are also Middle Eastern delis, the best known being L'Epicier de l'Orient in Plaza Paseo de la Churchill at the corner of Churchill and Pastoriza.
https://www.facebook.com/LEpicierDeLOrient

Org?nica is a good (but expensive) health food shop with branches in Agora Mall (JFK/Lincoln) and Plaza Catalunya (Gustavo Mej?a Ricart one block after Churchill)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do mention where you live. Someone on the north coast can't help much if you are in Santo Domingo. Trying to find health food products is more likely in Santo Domingo than in Puerto Plata/Cabarete/Sosua.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Siracha is available at Supermercados Nacional, for sure the store on Camino Chiquito

good luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even small supermarkets here on the NC have sriracha sauce, this is a non issue. la sirena carries various types of tortilla (spinach, tomato, wholewheat). la sirena and bravo have healthy food section where you can find lots of special foods.

J

JBase

Oh, thank you all so much. You've been a great help!
Haha Tim, I know exactly what you mean! Carbs and oil! I gained like 40 lbs when I got here....lol. I wasn't complaining, bc the food was/is OH SO GOOD. I just recently started a low carb diet, hmmm....let's see how long that lasts with empanadas at every corner. Hehe
Thanks again, I'm going to check out all the places you all mentioned. Have a lovely day.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Am I the only person here who has never even heard of sriracha, never mind tasted it? Is it an ethnic food?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
qqd0dv.jpg

not sure whether to call it ethnic. i read about it in comments on an american gossip site and people from many countries are familiar with it. originally asian (thailand?) it became very popular spicy sauce. i use it mixed with honey. for dipping, marinades and in cooking.

J

JBase

Dv8. Honey-Sriracha Glazed chicken wings....finger licking good! Mmmm! AlterEgo, you should definitely try it. That is if you like spicy sauces.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I am fan of Sriracha sauce. I frequently use it on chicken wing as well.

For that likes lot of flavor of heat and sweetness try this. I didn't get this off of web so I don't have exact cup and tablespoon detail but this is how I like to cook my wings sometimes. My wife loves it and sometimes wish it was spicier but I like it as is. If you like spicier try few drops of tabasco habanero sauce.

Wings (lots of it)
1 part Sriracha
1/2 part Brown sugar (add more sugar if you like your wings sweeter)
Freshly fine minced garlic and onion.
Little bit of soy sauce & water mixture to season.

1. Mix above in a bowl and toss the wings in a bowl until every wing is covered.
2. Indirect grill wings until it get cooked over shallow baking pan at about 375-400 degree for about 15 minutes turn over and cook it for another 10 minutes.
3. Move the wings over to direct medium heat grill for few minute until outer side get crispier.
4. Enjoy.