Any Dominicans in Los Angeles, California

E

Eric

Just got transfer to L.A., I would like to know about restaurants, clubs,radio stations and web sites.

E

ECH, M.D.

It has been a long time since I lived there but there was a very good Dominican Restaurant in the West Hollywood section, sorry can't remember the name. There are some Dominicans there but not many.....remember, New York is the center of the Universe to them......Not LA.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

You are bound to feel very lonely there if you need Dominicans. You can count them with your fingers. Even in Chicago, only 800 miles from N.Y.C. there are just a few thousand.Back in 1995 there were only 2000 there. The mexicans will be your neighbors and they have a much different culture. Their music is totally strange to us because it is Northern mexican American music.

L

Lyse

Is it that music that they call "Norte?a"? Could you give me the name of a singer that sings Norte?a music. A dominican friend told me once that some dominican singers sing Norte?a music. Is that true??

M

mkohn

Hey, over the weekend

I learned there is a Dominican family in Milwaukee (Wisconsin).
My dad met them where he works.

J

jlo

Re: Hey, over the weekend

There are many dominicans
here Alaska, specially in Anchorage.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Yes, it is called Nortena music and it is the equivalent of listening to bachata, in other words, popular unsophisticated folk music mixed with barrio slang themes bordering on home crisis, crime and passion. Some bands like Rosario Brothers and La Banda Gorda play a merengue fusion with some Nortena rythmns and colombian cumbia. Its is a terrible mixture.

D

Duarte

Re: Hey, over the weekend

I used to teach English As a Second Language in the DR (ICDA) and I had a student who worked for the goverment's foreign relation office (cancilleria) and we used to talk about this. She said there are Dominicans basically in every part of the world. Mongolia, South Africa, Alaska, Norway, Somalia, Afganistan, Bosnia, Australia...you name it. I remember she told me they once got a request from a Dominican family who lives in the Seychelle Islands. These are a group of small islands off the coast of Africa, and the unlikeliest place to find people from the DR. She also told me that one of the most common problems they had to get involved in were with people from the middle east who had married Dominican girls, had kids with them - especially boys - and took them back to their country and away from their mothers. Anyway I thought that was interesting.

L

Lyse

So we could say that "Tranquila" by Luis Vargas, "La vieron anoche" by Blas Duran and " Los caminos de la vida" by (I don't know the singer) are Norte?a ??

C

carabella

Yes, there are some!

I used to live in Los Angeles (south bay). There are quite a few. Look up "Club Social y Cultural Dominicano".
They are headquartered in Lawndale, CA.
They have weekly picnics and baseball games at Alondra Park in Torrance, CA. They also have yearly Mother's Day, Xmas, 27 de Febrero & other Holiday bashes.
It is not ony Dominican. The members include Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Venezuelans even Mexicans. Everyone gets along well.
I met Raul Mondesi & Rafael Martinez @ one of there parties one time.
I've been out of CA for 3yrs now but I know that the club is still active.
Look them up. Good Luck.

R

Racso

DUARTE from ICDA! I taught ther also, lets talk!

Hey DUarte, I was ESL and computer instructor at ICDA.

Many fond memories made there. email me or post a reply. Hope to talk to you soon.

D

Duarte

Re: DUARTE from ICDA! I taught ther also, lets tal

When did you teach at ICDA? I was there in 1990-91.

K

Keith R

Guys,

I also taught at ICDA (1996-97), but ICDA always stresed that what we was taught EFL, not ESL. The latter is what is involved in a program in the US (or Canada, UK, NZ, Australia etc) to teach English to immigrants, where there are numerous opportunities to utilize and practice outside of class what is learned in class. EFL is teaching someone English as a **foreign** language who may have limited opportunity outside of class for reinforcement of what they learn in class.
Best Regards,
Keith

R

Racso

DUARTE from ICDA! I taught ther also, lets tal

I think it was 88-90 approx. I was also a counselor at the ECO office across the street. Educational Counseling Office for american school information set up by the us govt. When I left there was a man named Ramiro who was still counseling at the ECO office. Know him?

I left to work in Casa De Campo, another DR institution.
What about the icda director, i forgot his name? Anyway I was known as Joaquin there (middle name) and it was a lot of fun. There was a blond computer guy there named Ralph i think? Everyone knew him. And there was a more established? teacher who had been there a long time and always rode a motorcylce, he was a newyorican i think?

Do you recall any of these? or are there other characters that colored your experience?

D

Duarte

Yes I remember ECO. I knew Ramiro, if you're referring to a guy that was from Guatemala, who ran ECO. I think I know the guy from the motorcycle, but don't recall his name right now. I studied there also in 1987 on a special program from USAID. My teachers were a Mr. Mcgowan, Miguel Roman, Mrs. Brooks, Sandy Santana, etc. Don't know if you know any of them. A bunch of them were still there, when I started teaching in 1990.

R

Racso

YES! Ramiro was a good friend of mine and a nice guy. McGowan was an older irish guy. And I think miguel roman was the motor cycle guy.

Hey did you ever know Hector? He was a instructor whom i roomed with for a year. Dark Brown, Puerto rican i think, beard, rasta looking guy. Kinda of mellow but funny and unique. Aspiring writer as well.

It nice to remenisce. Cant wait to go back and visit, now with my kids. Thanks for the memories!