Changing Money

Jun 29, 2011
I am flying back to the states early this coming Sunday from Santiago.

Where is a good place in Santiago to change pesos back to dollars?
I'd like to do it on Saturday, the day before I leave. Are any of these places open until late into the night?
I am staying near the Las Colinas Mall.
Thanks for any info.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Hi Blanca,the cambios dont like taking back pesos.You would get a better deal trying to exchange with other tourists.

Regards

Mike

Aug 6, 2006
If you plan to return anytime soon, just keep a couple thousand pesos.

I agree, change with other tourists.

The worst place to change money will be the airport. They give really sucky rates.

Aug 6, 2006
If you plan to return anytime soon, just keep a couple thousand pesos.

I agree, change with other tourists.

The worst place to change money will be the airport. They give really sucky rates.

Jun 29, 2011
Hi Blanca,the cambios dont like taking back pesos.You would get a better deal trying to exchange with other tourists.

Regards

Mike

I RARELY see tourists in Santiago. I've been here since June 15th and I finally saw an American today, at the mall.

The cambios in the Colonial Zone in SDQ take pesos back, why wouldn't the ones in Santiago?

Normally I fly in and out of SDQ, but on this trip I came in via STI.

Aug 6, 2006
You might also try a Banca if you cannot find any tourists. Dominicans traveling to the States need dollars.

Any moneychanger or bank will take dollars. The rate is the most important thing.

Aug 6, 2006
You might also try a Banca if you cannot find any tourists. Dominicans traveling to the States need dollars.

Any moneychanger or bank will take dollars. The rate is the most important thing.

Feb 7, 2007

Regards

Mike

I don't have any problems buying dollars or Euros in any casa de cambio in Higuey. And the difference is usually 0.10 to 0.20 pesos per dollar (compared to the buy rate). I do not see a reason why Santiago should be different.

Also try Banco Santa Cruz they can sell you dollars and they have one of the best rates among the banks.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I just had to change pesos for dollars last week here in Santiago...............
Needed 500 U.S. to open another Dollar account at Banco Popular................
My loss in this transaction came to exactly 125 pesos............
Cheap enough..........
Exchange rates are pretty competitive at the Cambios........

B in Santiago

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
A few years ago,I tried to change Pesos for Dollars at POP airport to pay the departure tax and the cambio refuse.So that is why I tough it would be a problem.According to Waytogo,the rate is good .So try that first.Again,how much are we talking about.

Mike