In the Spirit of ignoring climate change BS, the DR starts coal power

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Chamber of Deputies approves contract to construct coal-fired generation plants

SD. The Chamber of Deputies approved yesterday after a single reading of the EPC contract for the engineering, procurement and construction of a Central Electricity Generator-Central Punta Catalina-of 674.78 guaranteed net megawatts, which will consist of two thermo-electric units that operate on coal and which will have a cost of US$2.04 billion.

Each coal-fired thermo-electric unit will have a net guaranteed capacity of 337.39 megawatts.

The contract was approved with 105 votes for and 20 deputies voted against.

Deputies Jose Paliza, Juan Hubieres, and Francisco Santos expressed their opposition to the approval without sending the contract to a commission for study.

However, Ruben Maldonado, Ramon Rogelio Genao, Marino Collante, Cristian Paredes, and Tulio Jimenez supported the motion to approve it yesterday because they felt that there was no need to delay its approval.

The contract was granted through a public tender between the Dominican state, through the Dominican Corporation of State-owned Electricity Enterprises (CDEEE) and the Odebrecht-Tecnimont0Estrella Consortium, composed of Norberto Odebrecht Construction, S.A., Tecnimont, S.p.A., and Ingenieria Estrella, S.R. L.

The Senate passed the approval resolution last 21 May and it was received in the Chamber of Deputies last 18 June.

Source; DiarioLibre

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I thought the "issue" was CO2? All fossil fuels create CO2 therefore the fact that coal produces slightly more makes little difference.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wonder how many off-the-grid solar panels that could build...

Don't forget that the DR is the world leader in solar and wind power..

I heard that somewhere, a little bird?
P
I
C
H
A
R
D
O

Now they start with coal. Fine with me. The more power plants, the better.

Aug 6, 2006
Coal produces more CO2, and along with it, a lot of nasty gases from impurities in the coal: oxides of Sulfur, which can combine with water vapor and make sulfurous and sulfuric acid. There are a lot of heavy metals as well: Cobalt, Lead, Mercury and radioactive isotopes as well.