Documentation of illegal Haitians turning into a long process

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Now the DR and Haiti have, the OAS involved in trying to get the Haitian gov to speed up the process in getting some documentation to its citizens who have crossed into the DR illegally. Haiti is complaining about the cost of accomplishing this. I think the DR is trying to force the hand of Haiti to get it's act together. They never have before. Do they really think they will now?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I read morning that now some DR Senators want the UN, United States, Canada, France and I assume others to pay for the legalization process for Haitians in the DR with no status. Kiss my American ass. Haiti started this, the DR has been compliant in allowing all of these people here with no documentation and now they want others to pay for their mistakes. Sounds like a plan. NOT. DR gov, you insisted on documenting those with no prior documentation so pay the piper. Take some of that Gold money and spend it. Why should other countries and their citizens pay for your problems? Get real. This one is on you. Buenos Suarte.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I read morning that now some DR Senators want the UN, United States, Canada, France and I assume others to pay for the legalization process for Haitians in the DR with no status. Kiss my American ass. Haiti started this, the DR has been compliant in allowing all of these people here with no documentation and now they want others to pay for their mistakes. Sounds like a plan. NOT. DR gov, you insisted on documenting those with no prior documentation so pay the piper. Take some of that Gold money and spend it. Why should other countries and their citizens pay for your problems? Get real. This one is on you. Buenos Suarte.

I'm no fan of the DR gov, BUT, it would be really nice if along with your "suggestion", you would get to tell some of your damn NGO's to shut the fack up if/when the DR gets to finally deport some of the people that fails to comply with the process. Thanks in advance.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

The UN, American government...etc have been putting pressure for years on the Dominican government to be easy on these illegal Haitians and have actually encouraged Haitians to go to the DR and to stay here, supporting them in many ways including with NGOs...etc. The Dominican government should be asking the world to help force the Haitian government to document it's citizens. The DR didn't create the situation anymore than the American government created illegal aliens in the USA.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well The US, Canada, etc don't want the Haitians because they're black and poor. They put pressure on The DR to accept them and legalize them, so the least they could do is put up a little bit of money to help these people get legal...I'm an American citizen and I don't mind if a couple of bucks from my taxes go to this cause. Better spent than sending some poor young American schmucks to fight on some land they've never even heard of.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

On the contrary what the DR government is doing is good. They are telling the US, UN
the international community you wanted this legalization plan now you pay for it!

So now they are putting them against the wall just like the DR was put up against the wall.

That way when the time comes to deport the illegal Haitians they cannot complain because
the DR will show them that they refused to help.

This is a very good strategy on the part of the DR.

Pay up or shut up.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well The US, Canada, etc don't want the Haitians because they're black and poor. They put pressure on The DR to accept them and legalize them, so the least they could do is put up a little bit of money to help these people get legal...I'm an American citizen and I don't mind if a couple of bucks from my taxes go to this cause. Better spent than sending some poor young American schmucks to fight on some land they've never even heard of.

Race card crap. Plenty of Haitians in Canada and the Canadian government doesn't care if they are black or poor, as the policy is to allow a certain amount of refugees in each year. Plenty direct from Africa that are black and poor.
The rest of your post I agree with.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
....as it always seemed....when the hammer comes down, this is going to get ugly, real ugly. I am not so sure I want to be here when it happens.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Race card crap. Plenty of Haitians in Canada and the Canadian government doesn't care if they are black or poor, as the policy is to allow a certain amount of refugees in each year. Plenty direct from Africa that are black and poor.
The rest of your post I agree with.

It's not race card crap Bob. It's the reality...if Haitians were rich and/or white Anglo-saxons (Like you for instance) they would have no issues going anywhere they liked. They would be wooed by countries like Canada, US, France, etc...as potential money spending tourists.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's not race card crap Bob. It's the reality...if Haitians were rich and/or white Anglo-saxons (Like you for instance) they would have no issues going anywhere they liked. They would be wooed by countries like Canada, US, France, etc...as potential money spending tourists.

The reality is it's the " POOR" and uneducated that create issues not the pigment of their skin, otherwise there wouldn't be so many East Indians and Pakistanis living in Canada. Most Sri Lankans are as dark as Haitians and Toronto is filled with them. Lots of Caribbean Islanders in Canada, from all the islands.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Yeah but they're not either. And didn't I read that so many records were destroyed by the earthquake that they CAN'T provide documents for many Haitians? No amount of money thrown at that is going to change those facts.

I'm afraid ramesses is right, this could get ugly.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They weren't providing records before the earthquake either. I ha e a Haitian acquaintance here in Jara acoa that has her temporary residency. She managed to get all her paperwork and originally came on a work visa. Those that want to get their papers can.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
They weren't providing records before the earthquake either. I ha e a Haitian acquaintance here in Jara acoa that has her temporary residency. She managed to get all her paperwork and originally came on a work visa. Those that want to get their papers can.

That is not true Bob. I have a friend in Canada. She was born in Haiti and has been working for 2 years to get her birth certificate. She also has family in Haiti helping her. So far, no go for her.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
This is a problem that the Haitian government along with the international community
must find a solution.

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The Haitian government does not have nor does it care to try to obtain these records. The international community has to deal with the Haitian government to help obtain these records. The Haitian government does not have nor does it care to try to obtain these records.

No matter what, the Dominican government is going to take the heat. Ugly I say, ugly.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Then they'll just take the heat. It won't be the first time. It is not the DR's problem.

If the Haitian Government doesn't care about its own people, much less other countries.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Then they'll just take the heat. It won't be the first time. It is not the DR's problem.

If the Haitian Government doesn't care about its own people, much less other countries.

....and nothing gets solved, nothing changes. Just more truckloads of people being ferried across the border. I just pray it does not get violent.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
....and nothing gets solved, nothing changes. Just more truckloads of people being ferried across the border. I just pray it does not get violent.

Of course nothing will change. What people do not understand is that deportations
are a daily occurrence in the DR. Those who are caught crossing the border are
immediately deported by the truck loads. So to say that when the time comes it
might get violent is incorrect.

I've posted an article a while back where a total of 50,000 illegal Haitians in
one year had been returned that illegally crossed the border.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So in the end, this is an exercise in futility?

I did not say violence will occur, I just hope there never is.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I don't think so. I do believe that the DR gov't has cornered them and they will
help out knowing what the outcome will be if they don't.

There are many Haitians living in the DR who need their documents.

Last edited: