Terramar in Sosua

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
My wife and I rented a house in Terramar for 5 months in 2009. The gated community appears(ed) to be well run. The house we rented was in about the center of the community. I found the electric charge too high. I cannot remember the exact amounts but a comparison would be at many rentals you pay 7 pesos/kw and here it was 21 pesos/kw. Now there is a central planta that services the community when street power is off...but this cost to me was a cash grab. Also, the classic rule, see the rental at morning, noon and night. At least 4 nights a week the noise (some call it music) would echo down the valley from Sosua Abajo at night time. This was an unpleasant surprise when the wind was blowing inland! No motos allowed in the property though the watchmen use motorcycles. Please take into account this info I supply is 5 years old.

So as everyone has posted many times.....RENT before you even think of buying.

Ty for the info! We will def rent first, I don't want to be in an area I hate!
I know the maintenance fees are $300 which is fine as long as it is safe and well run. I've also heard about the electricity costs before.
I am not a fan of hearing barrio music that would drive me nuts!!

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
I own a home in Terramar and love the community. Regarding the noise from Sosua Abajo, it happens during the holidays but that is about it, Terramar is a very quiet community. The current maintenance fees are $295.00 per month and the electricity is billed at 12 pesos a kw hour and then there is a surcharge for the generator, averages out to 16 pesos a kw hour. My consumption is between 120-160 kw hours per month with a pool. If you want anymore information, let me know, I would be happy to show you around the community.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
As people have said, the cost of power is the big downside. There are some good deals to be had in there at the moment!

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
How does Terramar compare to Casa Linda and Residencial Hispaniola for electricity prices? Is it about the same or higher?
As people have said, the cost of power is the big downside. There are some good deals to be had in there at the moment!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Hispaniola has direct Edenorte power to each house so you pay the standard tariff. In Terramar and Casa Linda, Edenorte supply the project and then the administration meter and charge each villa. I'm not sure on their exact charge but I know it's definitely quite a bit more expensive.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is more to Sosua-Cabarete than Terramar. For me the gated communities are sterile and offer a false sense of security. With a live in house keeper we never leave the house unattended. At night the dogs and Ihave been in charge of security without incident. Take a look up the hill just past the police station and past Hispaniola. Street is Camino Llibre but I never saw a street sign. Good real estate agents are motoconchos. They know what is for sale in town. You put put the word you are looking. Owned a home in Sosua for eight years. Only drawback is the scenery is not as attractive with the new programs trying to eliminate the girls.

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
Lived in Casa Linda for 6 months from Sept thru Feb this year. Electric per kw was around 13 pesos. Felt very safe the whole time with my family(wife and 3 kids) Now live in Ocean Village. Much cooler with the breezes....we don't run A/C. Feel safe here too. Electricity about the same per KWH.

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
haha yes probably so unless you got them their own next to you. We have 2 dogs and a cat here and it's almost too much.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you want to be cooler, the higher up away from town the better. I lived on the Ocean and in the hills - much cooler in the hills with a beautiful breeze but yet close to town.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Agree with retiree. In the hills you get a fabulous afternoon summer breeze. I had to install those fold down door stops on the doors to prevent them from slamming shut in the wind. Its the same wind that powers the Cabarete kite surfers.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You may already be aware of this but it beats repeating. Rule of thumb in Dominican real estate -if your real estate agent speaks English you are paying too much.