Getting married in the DR

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Not sure if there is a thread on this already. What does it take to get married to a Dominican in the Dominican being from the USA. Don't need any advise on marriage itself but just how to legally get married. Where can I get documents translated to Spanish near puerto plata. I will have my birth certificate , my passport, drivers license and a document from my county stating I am single. I have never been married and getting the document from my county stating that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
En los casos de extranjeros, acta de nacimiento, pasaporte, si el mismo est? en castellano y consigna el estado civil como soltero(a) no es obligatoria la presentaci?n de la constancia de solter?a. Para los dem?s casos, constancia de solter?a expedida por el Registro Civil del pa?s de origen o residencia de ?stos. Esta constancia de declaraci?n debe estar legalizada por la autoridad consular dominicana acreditada al lugar donde fue expedida. Si el documento no est? escrito en castellano debe ser traducido por un int?rprete judicial y legalizado por la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica y la Secretar?a de Relaciones Exteriores. En algunos casos la traducci?n puede ser hecha en el mismo Consulado Dominicano. Algunas Delegaciones Diplom?ticas acreditadas en territorio dominicano reciben la declaraci?n de solter?a de sus ciudadanos. En el caso de los ciudadanos extranjeros cuyo pa?s de origen y residencia no tiene relaciones diplom?ticas con la Rep?blica Dominicana, esta declaraci?n de solter?a puede ser hecha ante un notario p?blico dominicano, debiendo estar legalizada por la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica.

?Cu?les son los requisitos para un matrimonio civil?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

It is a royal pain in the ass. Called a buddy at Dominican consulate in Miami as I was told they need to notarize my docs. He was cool. The woman he out in was an ahole. Turns out all translated docs, in my case birth and divorce certificates, needed to be apostillado. Told the woman I have no idea what that means. She was condescending and said " oh you didn't know that"? I say no, and the justice we spoke to in DR didn't mention it. She said "you know how it is down there, nobody knows anything".

So after paying almost 800 bucks for translation and apostillado. My fiance has a lawyer pay taxes and take to cancillery in SDQ so they can do whatever crap they have to. They told him, if it was apostillado no need to bring to concillary. Whatever.

Apparently all is well now and we set the date, reserved the restaurant, got the rings sized, ordered champagne flutes and cake cutting paraphernalia, as well as pillow for the rings.

Just be prepared in hearing different requirements depending on who you speak to and leave enough time to resolve any "issues". . .

Aug 6, 2006
apostillado translates "annotated". I am unsure of what this means. $800 US is a major ripoff, $800 RD would be more like what this was worth, if that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Apostiles in most US states are cheap - NY is $10 per document. When you get your documents [birth, etc] you have to stipulate that they are for international use, because it's sometimes a different form, and may cost a little bit more.

Maxie143

Jun 3, 2010
In 2003, in preparation for our wedding I had all the required legal docs translated by a translator at one of our local colleges for way cheaper, also had them notarized in the states and brought all the docs with us with no problem. Not sure if this would still work though. Worth a mention...

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Cest la vie. Pre Nup Im sure being happily married will make all of the grief so worthwhile. Pre Nup

PRE NUP

Best of luck to you

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Apostiles means at the Dominican Consulate in the USA or the country where you are from.

In the US, the Apostiles are issued by the state of birth, marriage, divorce, etc., usually the state capital. It verifies that the local certificate is valid and not a forgery.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Oh well. If I remember rightly, in 2011, they told me one thing in dr embassy in switzerland, another in dr embassy in france and when we got here they needed still other stuff.......... In the end all I used was a birth certificate (not even appostillated ).
And the wedding was recognised in france and switzerland and they covered the translation cost.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
In the US, the Apostiles are issued by the state of birth, marriage, divorce, etc., usually the state capital. It verifies that the local certificate is valid and not a forgery.

Right. I get a birth certificate and divorce agreement with seals from state of NY. The DR will not accept those, so I need to send them to the same state that gave me the originals so they can say. . .yeah they are legit. Makes sense.

I suppose now I need to send the apostillado copies back to NY to prove the doc saying they are legit is also legit. Meanwhile I can go buy a cedula that says I am Pedro Martinez, for 100 bucks. . . .lol. . .

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Remember the apostille only lasts 6 months. After that you need to do it again

Mat

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Maybe you have an unstated reason for marrying in the D.R. but, if not, why not marry in your own country, then have the proverbial "honeymoon" here? Do they even use that word anymore?? Yeah, I know, I'm probably asking a dumb question. But just in case I'm not . . .

Sep 4, 2012
Wow...am dazzled to say the least, two full pages of replies and everyone is still on topic with straight answers to the OP original question. More amazinly is the fact that at the OP request, no one has shifted the conversation into to marry or not to marry.

Nothing to add other than when in doubt with official paper in the DR, visit the embassy or at the very least their website.

Way to go DR1 members, I had faith.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Maybe you have an unstated reason for marrying in the D.R. but, if not, why not marry in your own country, then have the proverbial "honeymoon" here? Do they even use that word anymore?? Yeah, I know, I'm probably asking a dumb question. But just in case I'm not . . .

First unstated reason could be that dominican relatives may not have the means and/or possibilitie to go to the US for the wedding......

Second unstated reason could be that for the price of a good restaurant for 10 people back home, in the dr u can have ure wife's dream boda with 200 guests.........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Oh well. If I remember rightly, in 2011 (...) In the end all I used was a birth certificate (not even appostillated ). And the wedding was recognised in france and switzerland and they covered the translation cost.

laws change frequently here which is why i posted info directly from the source: JCE and USA embassy website. i got married in 2008 and it was very straightforward and easy. those were the days :)