trip report, new American Embassy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So I just came back from the new embassy to get my son's citizenship in order.
its a huge modern building arroyo hondo (???) I simply reached there with my GPS. The building is well guarded and very modern. seems like twice the size of the old one. I got there 7am for a 730am appointment. 1st of all, no parking and this area is still doesn't look like it a location where a US embassy would be installed. so as necessity I was compelled to speak to street thugs 2 blocks away who were offering car parking. going rate is $250 pesos to park on dirt. Make sure your dirt spot is clean or you can get a flat tire from stuff on the ground. I negotiated the guy to 100 pesos to park on a less desired spot. Then one has to walk 2 block (distance) to reach the main gate. the lines were already long enough to put me on the outside of the shade. so if its raining, then good luck. you will get wet. No shade on the outside so if you are there when the sun is shinning, again, good luck. you will get fried. many people had babies with them. so its best to drive to the front gate of the embassy, drop off passengers and then go haggle the parking attendants 2 blocks away.
side note: the american embassy staff have parking within the facility but the dominican local staff has to find parking outside.
Once in line, the lines move fast and you get to go in on time. I had to go to 2nd floor. paid the fees in dollars and then waited for my turn. the facility is brand new and seems like the maintenance crew is still sorting out things in the building. bathrooms were out of order and water fountains were not working. One LCD Tv was also not working. Over all, the embassy has positive outlook as compared to the old building. One thing surprised me is that no one checked my ID or even my papers as I entered the building. no one even checked to see if I had an appointment or not? i was carrying my appointment paper in hand along with my passport but no one checked me anywhere. it seems anyone who could print an appointment and carry an old expired passport can enter the building. other people were being checked but they seemed to forgot about me.
The employee who served me was very professional and greeted me with a smile. It seems she was relieved to see all my papers were in order as compared to the Dominicans who made every mistake that could be made. example: one guy forgot his glasses so he could not correct his mistakes. one lady didn't bring in money. one guy brought the kids in but forgot papers of one kid at home. then almost everyone had incomplete documents. this holds up the line and the people behind had to wait longer time.
In conclusion: i think the new establishment is far more refreshing experience than the old one. I was treated well and everything was expedited to my satisfaction.
AZB

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
So I just came back from the new embassy to get my son's citizenship in order.
its a huge modern building arroyo hondo (???) I simply reached there with my GPS. The building is well guarded and very modern. seems like twice the size of the old one. I got there 7am for a 730am appointment. 1st of all, no parking and this area is still doesn't look like it a location where a US embassy would be installed. so as necessity I was compelled to speak to street thugs 2 blocks away who were offering car parking. going rate is $250 pesos to park on dirt. Make sure your dirt spot is clean or you can get a flat tire from stuff on the ground. I negotiated the guy to 100 pesos to park on a less desired spot. Then one has to walk 2 block (distance) to reach the main gate. the lines were already long enough to put me on the outside of the shade. so if its raining, then good luck. you will get wet. No shade on the outside so if you are there when the sun is shinning, again, good luck. you will get fried. many people had babies with them. so its best to drive to the front gate of the embassy, drop off passengers and then go haggle the parking attendants 2 blocks away.
side note: the american embassy staff have parking within the facility but the dominican local staff has to find parking outside.
Once in line, the lines move fast and you get to go in on time. I had to go to 2nd floor. paid the fees in dollars and then waited for my turn. the facility is brand new and seems like the maintenance crew is still sorting out things in the building. bathrooms were out of order and water fountains were not working. One LCD Tv was also not working. Over all, the embassy has positive outlook as compared to the old building. One thing surprised me is that no one checked my ID or even my papers as I entered the building. no one even checked to see if I had an appointment or not? i was carrying my appointment paper in hand along with my passport but no one checked me anywhere. it seems anyone who could print an appointment and carry an old expired passport can enter the building. other people were being checked but they seemed to forgot about me.
The employee who served me was very professional and greeted me with a smile. It seems she was relieved to see all my papers were in order as compared to the Dominicans who made every mistake that could be made. example: one guy forgot his glasses so he could not correct his mistakes. one lady didn't bring in money. one guy brought the kids in but forgot papers of one kid at home. then almost everyone had incomplete documents. this holds up the line and the people behind had to wait longer time.
In conclusion: i think the new establishment is far more refreshing experience than the old one. I was treated well and everything was expedited to my satisfaction.
AZB

Pay the extra $150 pesos next time, lol

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
so close and not even a hi!

ha!

I was on malecon today, but forgot where your street was..........so there!