U.S. College Grad Looking for advice

G

Green_Bananas

Hey everyone,

I'll be graduating from one of the top 3 U.S. Finance programs (Wharton, NYU Stern, MIT Sloan) in 3 years and I would love to move to Santo Domingo right after graduation. I hope to leverage my resume and the program I'm in, into a corporate finance position (Citi, one of the big four accounting firms, etc.).

From what I've read so far many people here stress to potential expats the importance of understanding the culture. I'm Dominican-American and have visited the country many times. I have family there, I speak the language, and I have a pretty good grasp on our culture and what life is like. Because of this, I doubt that the culture will be an issue.

So pretty much what I wanted to know is if there was anyone else who did the same thing, and was willing to provide some insight. Can a single college grad make it in Santo Domingo? Is this line of work full of potential? I read articles daily about the economic state of the country, but I would love some anecdotes.

Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'll be graduating from one of the top 3 U.S. Finance programs (Wharton, NYU Stern, MIT Sloan) in 3 years and I would love to move to Santo Domingo right after graduation. I hope to leverage my resume and the program I'm in, into a corporate finance position (Citi, one of the big four accounting firms, etc.).

From what I've read so far many people here stress to potential expats the importance of understanding the culture. I'm Dominican-American and have visited the country many times. I have family there, I speak the language, and I have a pretty good grasp on our culture and what life is like. Because of this, I doubt that the culture will be an issue.

So pretty much what I wanted to know is if there was anyone else who did the same thing, and was willing to provide some insight. Can a single college grad make it in Santo Domingo? Is this line of work full of potential? I read articles daily about the economic state of the country, but I would love some anecdotes.

Thanks!

Making the transition to living in SD wouldn't be the problem. The problem would be finding a job equal to your education. Perhaps you could work for the Government or an American company with offices in the DR. Good luck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Get a job with "Citicorp" and they may post you here.
You need to make "American Wages" to be really successful here.
You could possibly get a good position with a large Dominican company after getting established with "Citi" here for several years first.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Good Luck, the DR can use some "Sons" to come back home to help out.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

If you are really that smart you should have known that in the DR is doesnt matter what you know but who you know! Doesnt matter whatever paper you have! Could have saved a lot of money!

SD is not known as a financial business center so I wonder what you like to do in the DR?

Besides College doesnt learn you a lot.. You really learn on the work floor! That is what counts and what employers look for.. so my advise is get a few years work experience in the US (GS, MS, ML etc) and perhaps they will send you out to Asia where everything is really happening now!! After that you can come down to SD..

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and go to Singapore.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do yourself a favor. Get a job somewhere and then retire here if it still suits you. Don't come here to look for a good job.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Ha Ha Ha.
First, get excepted to one of those schools you mentioned.
Second, Graduate.
Then call us for advice.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Ha Ha Ha.
First, get excepted to one of those schools you mentioned.
Second, Graduate.
Then call us for advice.

Well, how do you know that the OP hasn't already been accepted to all three, and is in the process of deciding which one to attend?;)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Well, how do you know that the OP hasn't already been accepted to all three, and is in the process of deciding which one to attend?;)

Highly, highly , unlikely. Nothing wrong with being ambitious or fantasizing.

Aug 6, 2006
I would say that first one should decide which school one is planning to attend ere one start prospecting for countries. The DR, I do not believe, would be on many people's lists as a major financial hub. Singapore, Hong Kong, then Sao Paulo, come to mind. Who knows" In 3 years, maybe La Habana will be the place en el Caribe. I would thing that San Juan would outrank the DR.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I would say that first one should decide which school one is planning to attend ere one start prospecting for countries. The DR, I do not believe, would be on many people's lists as a major financial hub. Singapore, Hong Kong, then Sao Paulo, come to mind. Who knows" In 3 years, maybe La Habana will be the place en el Caribe. I would thing that San Juan would outrank the DR.

Many corporations doing business in PR left after their tax deferments ran out. Most of the pharmacutical manufacturing left also. Guess where most of them went??? Check Santiago.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I would be very careful on choosing DR as the spot from where to launch your post-B-school life. Quite frankly, the existence of your post proves you don't have the requisite connections to do well there, at least not immediately. If you did, you wouldn't need to post a query on an anonymous board.

That said, your goal is still doable, but I'd encourage you to work on a longer-term plan to fulfill your goal.

I was in the Global MA program at Citi a number of years ago. It's largely a tracked program, in which they expose you to various areas over a 18 to 24 month period. Postings are focused on the corporation's centers of gravity (NYC for i-banking and institutional work, Sioux Falls for consumer card operations, along with something in London or (these days) Singapore or Sao Paolo for management/relationship building.

From Citi's perspective, there's little going on in the Caribbean that can't be inked/managed from NYC or Miami. You'll likely find much of the same from the other non-local banks.

My advice to you is to focus on your education, develop relationships whenever/wherever you can, and land the best possible gig for you. The programs you're speaking about all have study-abroad components; look in to doing that as well.

You can always develop relationships in DR, and pitch deals to the money people in your home base. If you don't speak Spanish, NOW is the time to learn.

Jan 9, 2004
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Who knows......maybe the Financial Center of the Americas might really happen.

Independent Financial Centre of the Americas - YouTube

On the other hand, this was supposed to open in 2009.

With your credentials when finished.......Go elsewhere.

Then come back to the DR......maybe you can explain to the government they can't continue to use 91% of next years bond sales to pay back old loans.....and advance their economy successfully.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OP, don't let the ladies cloud your judgment. :)

Last edited:

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Get your degree from the best school you can afford. Get summer professional internships (you should have had 4 by now!). Get a good paying job; you should start 80-100k. Then visit the DR for vacations.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Get your degree. Then work where the money is. If you are connected go to SD. For a guy looking to start his own business DR might be a better fit than someone looking for a blue chip firm. Might be best to find a job and get some experience or get a transfer as earlier mentioned.

Of course if you are looking into money laundering Santo Domingo is the place for you.

Apr 10, 2014
A piece of advice. My daughter who is half dominican is graduated from Dartmouth and is now going for her MBA from Tuck School of Business. She did internships for Wells Fargo and has a standing job offer. She is also fluent in Japanese with her plan to live in Tokyo. Do not waste a degree from one of the schools you mentioned on a mediocre career at best by moving to the D.R. Build up a work resume after you graduate and get real work experience. Make the big bucks in another location if that is what you desire and retire early to the D.R. You will be wasting your talents down here. Good luck.

G

Green_Bananas

As a first time poster I really do appreciate all of the responses. It's great to get feedback from people in the country.

My mistake for not being clear, but I actually am attending one of those three schools. I just finished my first year (undergrad) and am currently interning (paid) in NYC at an asset management firm. This is just the first of several internships. Given my extra curriculars, resume, school, etc., I am on track to get some good names on my resume in an effort to best prepare myself for my gig out of college. NYC is great and I love the US, but I love DR ten times more. I'm not necessarily putting all my eggs into one basket. I plan on participating in on campus recruiting for all the big financial institutions that come to visit, as well as network my way into a comparable position in the Dominican.

I do recognize that the country's most successful people all had an "in" to get to where they are, and I do have a connection or two that are willing to help me out, but I wanted to get something on my own merit. That's kind of why I posted here in the first place, to see if anyone else was able to do the same.

Again, thanks a lot guys. In the meantime I'll just continue to try and network my way in, but I'd love to hear some more feedback.