Australian looking to move to the dr ??

cthawes

Jul 15, 2014
Hi I have been searching the internet with no real luck as everything on the net seems to be only related to US / Canada people all I would like to know is can a Australian to move to the Dominican republic as a permanent citizen ???? if it is possible what are the requirements i.e. do I need to marry a dr lady ?? have a certain amount of money ?? already have a job there ?? own property there ?? etc.
thanks Craig

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You would need to own property or have a permanentt address, have a bank account, own a business or be employed. Yes you can relocate here and apply for temporary residency, which would then lead to permanent residency after a number of years in the DR. You can't legally work for as a DR employee without your temporary residency. You can come here as a retiree as long as you can prove you have a permanent address and the income to support yourself. I would not suggest coming here to find work. Without language skills it would be difficult and the pay for a service related job is peanuts compared to what you are used to in the first world.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have an Aussie neighbor who runs a road construction business in developing countries, including here for the gold mining operations. The best place for more information is the DR embassy in your country, where you start the process.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
There is an Aussie here in Bavaro who wants to open up a Kangaroo Park, have no idea how that is going..
Australians are welcome here, however if you are Russian please don't come..

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Hi I have been searching the internet with no real luck as everything on the net seems to be only related to US / Canada people all I would like to know is can a Australian to move to the Dominican republic as a permanent citizen ???? if it is possible what are the requirements i.e. do I need to marry a dr lady ?? have a certain amount of money ?? already have a job there ?? own property there ?? etc.
thanks Craig

Why on earth do you want to live in the DR? Dont marry a DR lady!

Stay in OZ man! You have nice Aussie girls there and if you want nice weather go to Queensland.. Your country has everything to offer!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
thanks Craig
Yes and lots lots lots of it!!!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
OK my friend ,,I have an Australian passport , English one also , and let me tell you that for an Australian to obtain residency here ,it is difficult. The main reason is this . The first step in obtaining the residency card is to have stamped in your passpost a residnt visa . You obtain this in your own country or in the country closest to you that has a Dominican embassy or consulate that can issue visas , Australia has not got one and in fact the nearest is Canada or the USA as there are none in South America. To obtain the residence visa you need to show all the information that is on a list that the immigration office has on their website although I think it best to use a lawyer with experience in residency right from the start .One of the requirements is to have a birth certificate that is stamped as authentic...you have this done at a passport office in Austrlia . So you need to have all your requirements before applying for the residence visa ,,money in the bank , a sponsor with money and I think you also need your non criminal record at this stage also ,,so for you,as it was for me , it is not easy but I paid much money to get my residency visa from the dept of foreign countries in the capital ..thank goodness the rules are bent with a little greasing

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
thanks Craig

Consulado Honorario de la Rep?blica Dominicana en Adelaide

Andrew Peter Lathlean

25 Chesser Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

ADELAIDE
AUSTRALIA
(61-8) 8359-3005
andrew@lathlean.com.au

Consulado Honorario de la Rep?blica Dominicana en S?dney

Gregory Teal

20 Cross Place, Mount Annan, NSW 2567n

SIDNEY
AUSTRALIA
011 (612) 4052-23908 / 011 (612) 4620-3247
greg.teal@uws.edu.au

cthawes

Jul 15, 2014
Hi thanks for the reply So I can purchase a house before I become a citizen ??? Am I able to have a house on my own land ( freehold ) ?? or do I have to buy a condo on some one else's land ?? I am starting Spanish lessons so I hope in 12 months I will be good enough :) I hear the teach English in schools but can many people speak it ??

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Don't rush it.

So I can purchase a house before I become a citizen ??? Am I able to have a house on my own land ( freehold ) ?? or do I have to buy a condo on some one else's land ??

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

However, do rent before you buy in order to find out whether this country is for you...

donP

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Hi thanks for the reply So I can purchase a house before I become a citizen ??? Am I able to have a house on my own land ( freehold ) ?? or do I have to buy a condo on some one else's land ?? I am starting Spanish lessons so I hope in 12 months I will be good enough :) I hear the teach English in schools but can many people speak it ??

Slow down cowboy. Come for a few visits first. This place has nothing over Thailand or Vietnam. Its five times as expensive as those places. It has Island living yes but a myriad of downsides that you may want to see firsthand.

The women are great, most of the people are great, the highways are getting better although most roads suck, the power and water either suck or cost alot or cost alot and suck.
The beer is good the rum is good. There is alot of crime, gringos are targets of flim flams and robberies from Dominicanos and other expats.
The Phillipines would be my first choice. Better diving, better food. The women are just as rapacious but they hide it better.

Good luck to you

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

You can buy any type of property or business in the DR WITHOUT having a residency permit, just with your foreign passport as I.D.

You can buy a house on your OWN land, or a condo unit as you may like.

Make sure to do so using the services of a reputable lawyer and a bank appraisal. And the most important thing is that it must be "Deslindada". A property that no such "Deslinde" was made is worthless and can make you lose all your money fast.

Not that many people will speak English in the DR. It all depends on several factors like middle or upper income, place where they reside, industry or sector of employment, as well as others not so clear.

Learning Spanish is easy, learning Dominican Spanish is another thing. Dominicans speak faster and tend to cut the end on words. Also there's the regional mannerism and accents to deal with. It will take you a while to get the grasp of it, but basic, and I mean very basic, Spanish will let you get by in most situations in the DR. There will always be somebody offering to help in those situations where language bars communication.

By all means come first as a tourist and overextend your visit as much as you need. Get to know the country first and rent, rent, rent! That's the golden rule for any newcomer to the DR. When you exit the country all you need to do is pay a small penalty for the time of your overstay.

Come and rent a place first, make it a month to month rent. In case you need to move in a short time to try out new places or don't like the area after moving in. Get to know the country first by staying like that for as long as you can and just because people are nice and want to help all the time, does not mean they are not trying to scam you out of your money. Flashing gold and expensive jewelry in your person is a taboo (no-no). Same for getting wasted in a bar where you know nobody and are alone at.

Take your time to meet people and make a few friends. The type of friends that don't need you to pay off their share when meeting out for dinner or a few beers.

Once here contact the person representing your country in the DR and see what he can say about the places you need to visit in Australia or elsewhere to start your residency in the DR.

cthawes

Jul 15, 2014
Why on earth do you want to live in the DR? Dont marry a DR lady!

Stay in OZ man! You have nice Aussie girls there and if you want nice weather go to Queensland.. Your country has everything to offer!

Hi thanks so much for the reply
I would like to move to somewhere that is completely out of the box and different to what I am use to and to have hot weather I am now 34 and need a real change
what is wrong with females of the DR ??? I would really like to know

it is funny you say Queensland I have lived here all my life the weather sucks here lol I have to get up and it has been around 45 degrees Fahrenheit the last 2 months there is no sun till about 6 am then it is gone at around 5:30 it manages to get up to about 66 degrees Fahrenheit for a few hours yes it is nice and hot in summer but there is very few days where it is not raining all day ( a friend and I were talking a few weeks ago and we can only recall 12 days last summer where it was not raining for most of the day yay )
girls here are nice ?? far from it they are by far the most rude and plastic people I have ever met only out for a good time they steal , cheat , lie then bat their eyelids and move on ( I have met some worse in LA ,but not by much )

it is so expensive to live here as well
I have the cheapest house witch I could buy ( witch ill be dead before it is paid off )
I earn just under $900 a week
house $450,000 3 bed on 335 sqm monthly payments $2899 ( yes you can buy a home a bit cheaper but it will never pass building and pest = no loan )
I use stuff all power /water / phone etc. I don't even dare turn the a/c on to get warm just freeze under the blanket )
last power bill $525 ( most families will pay around $700 )
water $325
property tax $ 385 ( rates / land tax / garbage etc. )
car registration $1045
car insurance $950
gas price $1.74 litre
non 3d movie with medium popcorn and drink for 1 $38
food for me 1 cat and a dog pets eat better than me for most of the week $90
Australia is the 4th most expensive place in the world to live 2013 it is a complete joke the government is set up to keep us all in debt
the retirement age is being lifted to 75 years when it was first introduced here around 1915 ( I think ) it was 60 years old very few males lived that long

this country is a joke and is now over run by people from India / Pakistan / that can not speak a work of English , and the government just keep the boat people coming

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"This Country is a Joke."

I would like to move to somewhere that is completely out of the box and different to what I am use to and to have hot weather...
Good, the DR offers that. :rolleyes:

what is wrong with females of the DR ??? I would really like to know
(...) girls here are nice ?? far from it (...) they steal , cheat , lie then bat their eyelids and move on...
Good, you'll feel at home.... :classic:

I earn just under $900 a week
Good.
Talking about money, what do you think your income will be in the DR? :rolleyes:

this country is a joke...
You'll remember that phrase ... :D

donP

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
PICHARDO you do not seem to understand that neither of the two gentlemen you mention in Australia even has a stamp to issue a visa .Nether can issue any visa ,,In fact Greg Teal is a Canadian , married to a Dominican lady and he does not even have any note paper from the RD government . They can not help with a visa of any type ..
I really do not think the DR is the right place for this Australian judging by his personal outline