New member been lurking a long time

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Ok so here is how I ended up here on DR1.

Ten years ago I went on my first trip out of Canada and I ended up in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Since then I have returned over 15 times. About a year ago, I stumbled upon Dr 1. I was set on "living the cheap" life in the DR. After reading the DR Forums daily, and receiving so much good advice from all of you, I have realized it is not "cheap" to live in the DR. I would like to thank all of you for that information, especially Criss Colon. So here's my question, I will be travelling to Punta Cana next month once again, and I am getting sick of staying on the AI.

I have always stayed on AI's simply because due to the price of flights, it always make sense. Believe me or not I have been off the beaten path many times. I know what to expect when leaving the confines of my resort.

This time I am coming back and would like the best of both worlds, my resort and hiring a driver for a day or two to show me the real DR. I do not need a driver, however I would love all of your suggestions on places to go and see for one or two day trips from Punta Cana. I should mention, I am a male and will be bringing my girlfriend (aka bringing sand to the beach).

I would like to see the "real" DR (which I've had a taste of), any suggestions are welcomed.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Any ideas for a nice road trip from Punta Cana resort area and back?

I have a driver arranged but it would be nice to tell him places I want to go.

I do not mind driving far or spending a night somewhere else and than coming back.

This is an honest question I appreciate any answers.

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Hi, welcome.

One thing you could do is just look at all of the excursions offered at the AI hotel and then write down the names of the ones you want to do and hand it to the driver. He'll take you there and it'll probably be a lot cheaper.

Another thing I would do is go through the trip advisor "things to do in Punta Cana". It's an exhaustive list with plenty of opinions and descriptions from people who have done them.

A good idea might be to make a post in the East Coast section of this board saying that you're heading down and looking to meet up with local expats. If you offer to buy the first round you might get some takers and it could be a total waste of time, or it could end up being a highlight of the trip.

Last but not least, if your driver is a local I would suggest asking him to bring you to his home or a local family's home in the bario for a day trip. Maybe stop of at a grocery store first and bring them some rice, beans and chicken/pork. Bring some beer and enjoy a day in the life of a Dominican. Of course common sense applies here, trust your "spidey sense" and if it doesn't seem "right" to you, then call it off or leave early.

Enjoy your trip.