DR starts a National Plan to disarm the population

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
RD comienza un Plan Nacional de Desarme - Almomento.net: Periodico Digital Dominicano

Google translation of the beginning of the article:

SANTO DOMINGO -. Authorities in the Dominican Republic launched a "National Plan on Disarmament of Civilians", aimed at "creating a culture absent of violence and peaceful conflict resolution."

It is run by the Attorney General's Office and the National Police, according to the Organic Law on National Development Strategy 2030, the Ministry of Economy. Answer "the need to make the system of recording, monitoring and permitting possession and carrying of firearms to citizens, one of the goals of the government of President Danilo Medina in the year National Plan of Public Sector more efficient...

It is already very difficult to own and keep a legal firearm with an annual license and now an annual ballistics check which can only be done in Santo Domingo. Any other country that does that?

I understand it is quite easy to get an illegal firearm. All the talk in the world is not going to stop that.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
When only cops and criminals have guns your sitting ducks no way to defend you or your family just ask mexico how its working out for them

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"When they pry my cold dead fingers". Whats the other option, rely on the police? It is becoming a giant pita to continually renew and comply with new rules. Cheaper to pay a bribe if the time comes. Rules and regs have never worked anywhere. US is a good example of the utter failure of gun regulation. Is it time to start our own NRA chapter?

May 5, 2007
Every once in a while there will be talk about disarming all citizens, be it the DR or USA Then you have people say there are too many guns, it is impossible I don’t think so, just make the penalty for possession so severe no one will dare

Last edited by a moderator:

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
Every once in a while there will be talk about disarming all citizens, be it the DR or USA Then you have people say there are too many guns, it is impossible I don?t think so, just make the penalty for possession so severe no one will dare

The right to bear arms in the constitution is to keep the government in check

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I really do not understand how I have traveled around this island on a weekly basis or 30+ years and never needed a gun? How did my father live in Bonao, in a shack, by himself, for 20+ years without a firearm?

Why is it almost exclusively North Americans that want to arm themselves to the teeth here? If you know anything about home invasions and robberies in this country, then you already know that most of the time they simply wait for you to pull up to your house and surprise you with their guns already drawn, or they get into your house when you are not home and wait for you to come home, or they wait for you in your driveway, etc. In either case, there is no time to go and get your gun and get into a gun fight.

In the few examples where people have had time to go and get their gun and shoot someone, it's been the exception to the rule.

I can fill up all the mainframe computer space on here with all the robbery stories i know in this country in the last 40+ years. In almost every single case, the robbers have stood above someone in their bed, or at their gate, or coming into their house, or in your driveway...with their guns already pointed at you. You have no time to get your gun or get into a gunfight. None. Zero. They're not totally stupid here, although admittedly some are.

My guess--and it's only a bar stool guess--is that more people on this island have had their guns stolen from their house, or physically taken from them--then they've had the opportunity to defend themselves with or get into a gun fight.

Why not just get two or three big dogs. They'll do more for you then any gun will, and you won't have to fear your gun getting stolen from you or your house, or getting into a gunfight...over what? a TV, a radio, furniture, ridiculous jewelry, a stupid cell phone, etc...it's just stuff! And stupid stuff at that. Everything can be replaced. But a gunfight can easily lead to deaths...over what...Stuff!

I don't get it.

Frank

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Frank with all due respect I have to take exception to your example. I was ambushed and had my head split open from behind with a Machete entering my house. If I did not have a legal gun with me I would not be alive to post this.

To each his own.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Frank with all due respect I have to take exception to your example. I was ambushed and had my head split open from behind with a Machete entering my house. If I did not have a legal gun with me I would not be alive to post this.

To each his own.

I feel you.

What would the appropriate "severe penalty" for owning a firearm and why would it matter when in some instances the penalty for not owning one is certain death.

The D.R. is beset by two major problems which in most instances feed off one another: Drug transshipment and large scale illegal immigration. Both these problems lead to security risks for the public at large and the police forces and military there have been found in some cases to be complicit and in some cases incompetent to effectively solve either problem, not to mention their myriad of symptoms (large amounts of untaxed and unrecorded cash in multiple currencies, illegal guns and criminal organizations operating with virtual impunity as they either buy or intimidate their way out of trouble).

The police and military should be encouraging the empowerment of the civilian population, not preventing it. From what we've seen so far they can use all the help they can get.

Transnational Issues: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Disputes - international:

Haitian migrants cross the porous border into the Dominican Republic to find work; illegal migrants from the Dominican Republic cross the Mona Passage each year to Puerto Rico to find better work
Illicit drugs:

transshipment point for South American drugs destined for the US and Europe; has become a transshipment point for ecstasy from the Netherlands and Belgium destined for US and Canada; substantial money laundering activity in particular by Colombian narcotics traffickers; significant amphetamine consumption (2008)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/dr.html

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

To each his own.

I respect your right to own a gun, but i would also like to hear more details. How were you able to get to your gun fast enough when someone was attacking you? I assume you had it in your hand already? If so, why did he attack you if he saw that you had a gun? What was the circumstances. I'm all for protecting your home, but i am also curious how you got to your gun fast enough?

Thanks, Frank

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When he hit me I blacked out for a few seconds. Woke up, I was down on all fours and he was on top of me. In addition to the 40 stitches in my head I had 6 on my neck where he was in the process of slitting my throat with the machete.

I had a custom made holster for my Glock that you wear outside of the waist with my shirt covering it. I could get the gun out with my right hand and shoot up with it from the ground. I always have a bullet in the chamber so no need to cock the gun, which would have been impossible.

Anyway once it was out and in use RIP for the scumbag.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When he hit me I blacked out for a few seconds. Woke up, I was down on all fours and he was on top of me. In addition to the 40 stitches in my head I had 6 on my neck where he was in the process of slitting my throat with the machete.

I had a custom made holster for my Glock that you wear outside of the waist with my shirt covering it. I could get the gun out with my right hand and shoot up with it from the ground. I always have a bullet in the chamber so no need to cock the gun, which would have been impossible.

Anyway once it was out and in use RIP for the scumbag.

What part of DR did this happen in Sky? Thank God you had that gun.

It's stories like that that make ME want to have one there. My dad gave me this neat little 25 cal. many years ago, tiny gun. Only problem is that it's in NJ.

May 5, 2007
I guess part of my post was ?non DR related? so it evaporated along with my explanation of ?severe? punishment, sorry about that

I was saying the DR Govt could do something similar to the US National Gun Act where violators of the Act are punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison and forfeiture of all devices or firearms in violation, and the individual's right to own or possess firearms in the future be voided.. The Act provides for a penalty of $10,000 for certain violations Any willful attempt to evade or defeat any of the registration requirements of the Act is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a $100,000 fine ($500,000 in the case of a corporation or trust),

The Act does not prohibit ownership of the named firearms/devices, it simply requires you pay a tax and register them If you try and avoid this tax, the felony fine of $100,000 for tax evasion could be increased to $250,000

I?m not certain if the tax law in the DR has this kind of ?teeth,? but a similar law with these "severe" penalties would quickly make guns scarce If it were passed in the USA or dominican republic I think guns would quickly disappear or be regulated The gun nuts will say it can?t be done but I simply ask how many illegal machine guns, hand grenades, sawed off shotguns do you see? Oh, they keep them hidden ? That?s a good thing, as long as they are hidden they won?t be massacring people If the local bad guy was faced with that sort of ?severe? punishment you can be certain the casual punk would not be walking around with a Tec 9 in his waist band or a 'Tigure" (sp) would not be displaying his .45 ACP if he faced 10 years in jail for simple posession of the illegal firearm "Severe" law? Yes, needed , yes Do I like the idea? No But until there is a workable alternative.....

I anticipate the reply from the ?other side? and respect that, but until I hear of another viable option to stopping killings and massacres I support stringent gun registration an the banning of high capacity magazines, along with so called ?assault rifles? I don?t need a description of one, I realize the idiots who passed the last law trying to restrict assault rifles was about as knowledgeable as , well I wont say anything but it was a poor description

Hell, I?d like every citizen in the Dominican Republic, the USA, Australia, Norway, Russia and every other country on earth to be able to own pistols, machine guns, tanks and helicopter gunships but until someone figures a way to keep them from killing innocent people, I think we need to restrict that ownership