rock climbing!

D

daverause

Hello my name is Dave, I am new to this forum and am trying to get any information on rock climbing at Playa Fronton or any other areas that climbing is established. Thanks!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Welcome to dr1 Dave.............
Good luck with the rock climbing............
I'm sure you will receive a lot of good info..........

B in Santiago

Woody Wood

May 2, 2014
there is a small group they boulder every sunday morning in mirador de sur, you prefer boulder or alpin style?, there are some granit walls near by ocoa, on the way to constanza, but no hooks, nothing.. you have to bring rops, friends, carved shocks, all. More funny is canyoning here in DR, same equipment, more or less and more funny..refreshing

D

daverause

Thank you to all! I appreciate the responses. I had read that around 2012 some folks had established climbing routes (called sport climbing) on a wall at Playa Fronton...I believe the website was El Cabito?? Anyway, that was what caught my eye and I could not find any other information about it.

As to some of the responses; not sure about what "w/buggy" means, but, rock climbing as a sport in which you ascend a series of features on a given vertical service through your own bodily strength, anchoring to multiple spots along the way up...sport climbing in particular because it is easier to travel with the less gear needed to do so...I would be coming from the U.S. It only requires that a system of eyelets bolted or affixed to the wall (a "route") is in place to attach the caribiners that stop you from falling. I do boulder, but prefer to go higher using ropes. It would be nice to chat with the folks who meet and boulder every sunday.
Well, thank you again, I appreciate it!

May 29, 2006
I tried climbing about 20 years ago with a top rope. Lots of portable hand holds and I ended up getting stung by a wasp that felt like a cattle prod. The face was dirty and not much fun at all. Might be some good places in the country though and maybe it's gotten more popular since then. Bringing gear through customs completely baffled them and I had to demonstrate what a bunch of things were. They were just very curious and couldn't figure out why anyone would want to climb. You can't bring metal gear on carry on. The rock was volcanic and not very kind to fingertips. It's not the Gunks...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Thank you to all! I appreciate the responses. I had read that around 2012 some folks had established climbing routes (called sport climbing) on a wall at Playa Fronton...I believe the website was El Cabito?? Anyway, that was what caught my eye and I could not find any other information about it.

As to some of the responses; not sure about what "w/buggy" means, but, rock climbing as a sport in which you ascend a series of features on a given vertical service through your own bodily strength, anchoring to multiple spots along the way up...sport climbing in particular because it is easier to travel with the less gear needed to do so...I would be coming from the U.S. It only requires that a system of eyelets bolted or affixed to the wall (a "route") is in place to attach the caribiners that stop you from falling. I do boulder, but prefer to go higher using ropes. It would be nice to chat with the folks who meet and boulder every sunday.
Well, thank you again, I appreciate it!

Google is full of DR spots

DRpure.com: Rock Climbing: Adventure Tourism in the Dominican Republic

And Four-Wheel Rock Climbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ckkx_5lGDk