Stolen Cedula, need to leave pronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
I was robbed on Saturday and had al my bank cards, license, cedula etc taken. I have no one in the UK to forward my new cards once my bank sends me new ones to the UK address, and no they won't send them over here.
I reported the incident to the PN and they took a copy of my passport and told me they were going to record the incident, although they gave me no paperwork what so ever.

I am left without much cash (and I mean a few mil pesos), and I need to fly out of the country asap, but I also have no cedula now and I have not left the country in years. I know of the fine process, but I am wondering if I just try to pay this, if it is linked to my passport then maybe they will become suspicious of why I am choosing to pay the exit fine rather than just show my cedula. I have never been through anything like this and so am not sure how quickly I could get a replacement, or costs, or even how to find out. I have written to the Guzman law fir, who represent me in most cases here and did with my cedula process but they may take a while to get back to me, a while I probably do not have.

And so the issue is clear. How quickly, how much and how do I get my replacement cedula. And if I do choose or have not option other than to try to pay the exit fine how much is it these days.

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
At the airport just slip a 1000 pesos bill inside tne passport....when getting to the passport control....it have worked for me everytime when I overstay visa for a year or 10 month..

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I was robbed on Saturday and had al my bank cards, license, cedula etc taken. I have no one in the UK to forward my new cards once my bank sends me new ones to the UK address, and no they won't send them over here.
I reported the incident to the PN and they took a copy of my passport and told me they were going to record the incident, although they gave me no paperwork what so ever.

I am left without much cash (and I mean a few mil pesos), and I need to fly out of the country asap, but I also have no cedula now and I have not left the country in years. I know of the fine process, but I am wondering if I just try to pay this, if it is linked to my passport then maybe they will become suspicious of why I am choosing to pay the exit fine rather than just show my cedula. I have never been through anything like this and so am not sure how quickly I could get a replacement, or costs, or even how to find out. I have written to the Guzman law fir, who represent me in most cases here and did with my cedula process but they may take a while to get back to me, a while I probably do not have.

And so the issue is clear. How quickly, how much and how do I get my replacement cedula. And if I do choose or have not option other than to try to pay the exit fine how much is it these days.

You can get the new Cedula in a few hours... Just go to any of the local JCE offices near you and presto!

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
You can get the new Cedula in a few hours... Just go to any of the local JCE offices near you and presto!

Wrong!

Only one office issues cedula's for foreigners and that is in S.D. (There may be a 2nd office now during the conversion to the new cedula). New cedula should be able to get same day, crowded now with the new conversion, may take about 2 hours.

And as InsanelyOne said, you need your residency card.

And that also is only issued in S.D. for foreigners.
With VIP service they may be able to get it same day. (VIP service usually 1,000 pesos)
You probably need a police report.

Last edited:

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Never carry your Residency Card around with you on a daily basic if possible.
Except for entering and leaving the country there is not much need for it!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Never carry your residency card or cedula unless leaving the country, when you need your original residency card. That is about only time you need residency card unless you are renewing your residency or cedula.

Go to a copy shop and have them make a duplicate cedula and plasticize it. I have been carrying duplicate cedulas for years and have never had a problem using them. I show them at the bank, and banco de cambio I use, and anywhere I need to show identification. My original is home in my safe.

If I needed to carry my residency card for some reason, I would do the same with it.

For a few pesos you can avoid being in the same predicament as the OP.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Not if the OP is not a DR citizen. The only place I know of that I can get a cedula as a resident is in the one specialized office in Santo Domingo. PICHARDO, you did not know that? It took my wife 6 hours to get her new cedula in Sosua. She is a DR citizen. I guess that is what you call PRESTO in the DR.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
One more thing, is there still that $10 charge to leave once through to departure. Appologies for all the questions, but I have not left here for a long time and I am trying to leave today, well, in a few hours if I can find this info out. The airport itself is hopeless.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
B - IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA
VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA:
025 Menor de 30 dias Hasta 3 meses 800.00 -
026 Mayor de 3 mese Hasta 9 meses 1,000.00 -
027 Mayor de 9 meses Hasta 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
028 Mayor de 1 a?o Hasta 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
029 Mayor de 1 a?o y medio Hasta 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
030 Mayor de 2 a?os Hasta 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
031 Mayor de 2 a?os y medio Hasta 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
032 Mayor de 3 a?os Hasta 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
033 Mayor de 5 a?os Hasta 7 a?os 17,000.00

search function is your fren. and tax upon departure is 20 dollars, some airlines have it included in the price. you have it mixed with tourist card, 10 dollars.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
when leaving , they want the residency card -- not the cedula.... residency needed for in & out.

if no residency card, then maybe a fine.... returning, pay the $10 entry fee.

Police report will be needed for a replacement cedula

SD foreigners office wants Old cedula, residency and passport......... go early or late.
as stated , 1-2 hours will be needed

go or call and ask about the details to save yourself a trip

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
OK, and so as the PN did not give me a report or any paperwork what so ever, in your opinions do you think it would be a good idea to go to the police here in Punta cana and report it again so I had an actual report, or do you think they may say I must report it back in Santo Domingo again.

I know I am asking many questions that most will not know the answer to for sure, but an honest opinion of how to deal with this situation is appreciated. Now I am concerned the police in Santo Domingo just threw the copy of my passport in the trash and forgot about me which may cause big problems for me in getting a replacement on my return.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Why you don't contact your Embassy? They should know how to deal with your situation and be able to assist. I am sure you are not the first one it happened to...

Feb 7, 2007
I mean come on man, why haven't you insisted on the report? I had my passport stolen in 2005, and I needed the report for the replacement passport (there is a different reissue fee depending whether it's lost or stolen), I got report in Higuey in just couple of minutes.

When some idiot stole my electric meter, I got a report for EDE within 15 minutes of walking to the police station. Again, here in Higuey. If the PUJ police gives you trouble, I would try to speak to the coronel in charge there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I mean come on man, why haven't you insisted on the report? I had my passport stolen in 2005, and I needed the report for the replacement passport (there is a different reissue fee depending whether it's lost or stolen), I got report in Higuey in just couple of minutes.

When some idiot stole my electric meter, I got a report for EDE within 15 minutes of walking to the police station. Again, here in Higuey. If the PUJ police gives you trouble, I would try to speak to the coronel in charge there.

Sometimes you have a pay a fee for them to do their job. With no money, that is difficult.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
Why you don't contact your Embassy? They should know how to deal with your situation and be able to assist. I am sure you are not the first one it happened to...

Embassy are no help at all. ID is nothing to do with them, Passports or Dominican ID.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
IS this true the nearest PN station to Punta Cana village is Veron? NO police station closer? Yes I have asked reception, but having lived in this country quite some years now I have little faith in Dominican fed info, and so always double check.

Yes Windeguy is correct, as I am scratching around financially I do not want to be paying for people to do their job. In Santo Domingo, when they came they were hanging around before they said they would take care of it and sped off, I believe waiting for a hand out, I didn't and so they didn't do their job. And I had no idea I would need a report to get a new cedula, why would I, I have never lost it or had it stolen before.
But back to closest police station.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"ID is nothing to do with them, Passports or Dominican ID."

UK passport lost and they are no help? Or do you have a Dominican passport?

The German embassy is of use when it comes to a German passport lost or stolen... Thought the UK one is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.