Ga Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyTaurus

Jul 26, 2014
Hello, I am from Georgia. I have not visited the Dominican Republic yet but am currently planning a trip, which is how I came across this forum. I am looking forward to gaining more wisdom. :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello, I am from Georgia. I have not visited the Dominican Republic yet but am currently planning a trip, which is how I came across this forum. I am looking forward to gaining more wisdom. :)

I think you will find the DR a lot of fun and a very interesting place to visit. What & where are you interested in?

LuckyTaurus

Jul 26, 2014
I like to try out local foods, relaxing on the beach, and nightlife (drinking,dancing, etc.) for this trip I will be flying into SD so I will check out the southern region.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
how long to you plan on staying ? i would look for a hotel in santo domingo first. you can walk around and parts of the old town are nice to see. i stay at the hotel mecure in santo domingo but you can get other suggestions. do you plan on driving anywhere or take public transport ? driving here is a little crazy. i don't drive much when i am in santo domingo because of all the traffic.

another thing to consider is flying in to santo domingo and out of another airport. that way you do not have to backtrack. I would see where all you can fly from your airport nonstop to the DR.

there is the choice to do all inclusive or not. There are pros and cons.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009

"wisdom" oh dear, pressure!!! Welcome to DR1

LuckyTaurus

Jul 26, 2014
Me and a friend will be staying for 4 days and we will use public transport. During the day we explore the town and different beaches and at night check out the discos. We will probably stay in Boca Chica at a non-all inclusive (since it looks pretty close to the airport) and venture out from there to the city and the different beaches in the southern region of the island. What are some good local foods, hotels and discos?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yeah, I guess that is what it was looked like a cow pie on the plate. Said it had "long" in it. I was told that was a sausage, but had nothing that reminded me of sausage in it.

Probably longaniza. Some are better than others :)

LuckyTaurus

Jul 26, 2014
I checked those foods out online ad they look pretty tasty. I should probably bring some pepto just in cause some of the food doesn't agree with my stomach.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would never visit the DR based upon it selection of foods. The chicken and pork and some seafood are pretty good here, otherwise it is the island that spice forgot. Enjoy your time here.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I like a lot of the fish here. I get grilled fish and not fried fish. You can watch the Anthony Bourdain episode on the DR and take some notes. I like sancocho, sweet plantains, yucca puree,etc. They do not use a lot of spice here. I bought a medium pace picante sauce and they thought it was hot.

LuckyTaurus

Jul 26, 2014
Thanks for all the food info. Are there any disco/bar recommendations? I have one week left until my trip. Judging by some other threads it looks like the Boat House would be a pretty good place to start.

Aug 6, 2006
Yeah, I guess that is what it was looked like a cow pie on the plate. Said it had "long" in it. I was told that was a sausage, but had nothing that reminded me of sausage in it.

Mofongo is based on fried green plantains, pork cracklings, bacon veggies and perhaps chicken, beef, crab or shrimp.

Mondongo always has beef tripe (cow stomach) which is white with little buds on it and may contain hoof jelly, bone marrow and assorted veggies. It has a flavor one can call unique.

Mondongo is surely more icky to Americans. It is, in my opinion, inferior to the Mexican tripe dish known as menudo, the traditional cure for borracheras (drunken sprees). Menudo rhymes with crudo (the word for hangover), which is clearly indicates a relationship. It includes shredded cabbage, a rather tasty broth and rather more picante than anything in Dominican dishes. Better than it sounds and found at market loncherias.

I have not samples all mofongos, mondongos and menudos, and it is a matter of taste, but of the three, I tend to avoid mofongo. If you like bananas, yaroa is better, in my opinion.

Jul 28, 2008
Hi Lucky Taurus. Welcome. As you can see, the conversation here can sometimes stray a bit. But, this site and the people who participate here are a wealth of information and insight (albeit, sometimes a bit acerbic). Enjoy yourself and be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.