Political Correctness gone crazy!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Dear Mr. Page...

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. I would suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Congress.

Here are some other politically correctness to consider:

I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the ClevelandIndians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the ClevelandBrowns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. It is totally inappropriate to have the New OrleansSaints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits send the wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic is wrong and is sending a message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers / barbiturates. It is the wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying. It too is the wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves.

As a die hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers".

Sincerely

Larry McGrorty

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Loved the post. But as one who was born and bred in Cincinnati, I must point out that the Reds (the first major league team) were originally the Red Stockings. Later it was modernized to the Red Legs. They are called the Reds for short.

I remember in 1961 when the Reds played the Yankees in the World Series, they were afraid of what trouble a headline "Reds murder Yanks" would cause. Alas, it was not to be.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Loved the post. But as one who was born and bred in Cincinnati, I must point out that the Reds (the first major league team) were originally the Red Stockings. Later it was modernized to the Red Legs. They are called the Reds for short.

I remember in 1961 when the Reds played the Yankees in the World Series, they were afraid of what trouble a headline "Reds murder Yanks" would cause. Alas, it was not to be.

Funny. I was raised close by, in Dayton, Ohio--45 minutes from Cincinnati.

Frank

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
In Arizona, a Navajo high school emerges as a defender of the Washington Redskins - The Washington Post

The scene at this tiny, remote high school was as boisterous as it was remarkable: Nearly everyone on the field and in the bleachers belongs to the Navajo Nation. Most of the people in Red Mesa not only reject claims that their team’s nickname is a slur, they have emerged as a potent symbol in the heated debate over the name of the more widely known Redskins — Washington’s NFL team. More than half the school’s 220 students eagerly accepted free tickets from the team for an Oct. 12 game near Phoenix, where they confronted Native American protesters who were there to condemn Washington’s moniker.

There were 62 high schools in 22 states using the Redskins moniker last year, according to a project published by the University of Maryland’s Capital News Service. In addition to Red Mesa, two others are majority Native American: Wellpinit High School in Washington state and Kingston High School in Oklahoma.