Confirm Armed Robbery with shooting, Boca Chica?

R

ricktoronto

I am advised of an armed robbery in a Boca Chica hotel room last Sunday (I guess the 25th) in which a 2nd floor, occupied ( by one man and one woman) room was entered, a shot was fired into the ceiling, a fight ensued over the gun, with 2 more shots fired into a wall. The robber was disarmed and jumped off the balcony and was injured.

The tourist was struck with the gun , needed 15 stiches and wound up with the robber's Glock.

The police came and did fundamentally nothing so it is said, e.g. no fingerprinting, mug shot books, etc., maybe that is a lot to ask.

This could be urban myth or fabricated or grossly exaggerated, and as such I have not named the hotel.

Anyone local actually know how much if any of this occurred? This is a new bold criminal move, truly. It was not in DR1 news that I know of.

D

DR1

I have heard...

of at least 3 attempted robberies in the last 6 weeks in Boca Chica. Two on people I know personally (house robberies) and the one you mention. All involved guns and in all cases the police did absolutely nothing. Draw your own conclusions why?

From the people I speak to, they tell me crime appears to be on the increase in Boca Chica.
Might have something to do with all those USA trained criminals the DR gets on a regular basis?
Then again, in my experience, a few such incidents usually get everyone talking and adding their own 2 cents onto the story. I haven't seen any crime figures for Boca Chica, so have no way of verifying the gossip.

Myself personally I have NEVER had a problem in Boca Chica and will still visit as normal.

Rob.

E

ECH, M.D.

please rephrase

Rob,
You have command of the King's English. The way you phrase the statement "with all those USA trained criminals the DR gets on a regular basis" would leave the uninitiated to believe the USA is running a school to train criminals (a la Bin Laden and his terrorist camps) and then "exporting" them to the DR to do their dirty deeds.

Let me remind you that these are Dominicans who have committed felonies in the USA and were imprisoned for their law breaking activity and then DEPORTED back to the Dominican Republic. And yes, when you get a congregation of criminals together such as you find in prison they are sure to learn "tricks of the trade" from one another and try to get smarter so they won't get caught next time.

And BTW it has been my experience that when guns are used it is usually the police....at least that was the case in my armed robbery.
But by inuendo you have implied that the USA actually trains these individuals. Remember, this board is viewed by people from all over the world and sometimes there needs to be clarification of statements.

D

DR1

Thanks...

sometimes I forget. Yes, ECH is correct, these are basically Dominicans deported from the USA. Many have learned their skills and developed their criminal mind in the USA.

"yeah mate, me english is a tad ruff"

Rob.

D

Doug

Re: Thanks...

You know Boca Chica continually gets a bad rap here on this board, I have been there many, many times and have never encountoured anything in regards to crime, yes I have heard of petty thefts and such, but never first hand seen anything violent. Yes I know it does happen there, but do you really think it happens more there than...say Santo Domingo.....per capita.

I really like the place and have many really good friends there....Dominican and from abroad, also I think the place has a wonderful beach and a terrific night life and also it's fair share of decent places to eat, not high end, but decent places with good prices and fine food, and as far as I am concerned, it is a safe as place as any. My wife believes the place is totally safe and she feels safe there as well!

R

ricktoronto

I wan't criticizing it, actually

I go to Boca Chica, Santiago, the Capital, 5 or 6 times per year from Toronto, in fact I will be there in less than a month for New Years.

Still it is nice to know the facts and from what I am advised it is the same hotel and the same room, floor and location of my regular room, so it is not the greatest news and I was hoping it ws false or grossly overstated.

I should maybe bring a patio door lock.

D

Doug

Re: I wan't criticizing it, actually

Hi Rick ...could you e-mail me please. Thanks.

H

hillbilly

And while that wasn't posted by me

I do feel that these vilent crimes are carried out inthat area since the foreigners don't/can't get too loud or too effective in their complaints.
"Honey, we, errr i mean I was robbed!" "No, no no, there was nobody with me!" If you get my drift.

A Glock? Jeez, he should have kept that a secret and then sold it for 10,000 pesos or so....made up for his "suffering"

HB

Y

Yanqui

Boca Chica, the DR and Profiling

I am a tall blonde Yanqui and when looking at me, you don't have to guess where I am from. I lived in the DR for two years and have traveled back for many vacation and business trips.

Like anywhere, you may be profiled and targeted for your appearance/nationality. I have been treated different in the DR and especially in Boca Chica. From the time I arrive, till the time I leave, I have been greeted and treated with a large smile from ear to ear. I have had many approach me to accommodate me with English and then 'work' with me when I tell them I would prefer they speak in Spanish so I can learn more.

I have stopped on the side to the road to give free rides to those waiting for a "gua gua" and have never been mugged or treated rudely. Exactly the opposite.

Every place has its problems, even your own respective neighborhood, yes, every neighborhood no matter where you live. Considering my travels, I would recommend the DR, especially Boca Chica. You may be one of the small numbers that have a problem, even a robbery, but I would hate to think that it wouldn't and couldn't happen anywhere else in the world!

Don't hurt yourself by going to the wrong place! Go to the DR!

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Boca Chica Vs London,Vs.Madrid,etc.

Hey guys, lets not get carried away? Didnt Madonna get robbed in London? Isnt that why she decided to sell out? What happened to George Harrison before he died? And in one of the most secure houses in England.....Did you know Silvester Stallone wanted out of Miami because of the high crime? Many movie and music stars are selling in Miami for the same reason. Can you be safe in Madrid, Sevilla or Barcelona from ETA attacks? Can you be safe in Ulster? I dont want to mention the USA because it is obvious, but what I would like to explain about Dominican ex-pats or Dominican Yorks, is that a great deal of them are AMERICAN, not DOMINICAN citizens. Americans like to call them Dominicans when they become criminals and get deported back to DR, but would like to steal their nationality when they become superstars. Why do Americans like to say that Alex Rofriguez(son of Dominican parents) and Albert Pujols(born in DR but grew in USA) are Americans? Why do they want to keep World Champion Track and Field star Felix Sanchez even thought he wrapped himself in the Dominican flag at the world games? You cant have it both ways...throw away the bad and just keep the good. When Dominicans leave DR to settle in the USA they are Americans. They learn all their good and bad habits there. When Canadians, Lebanese, Spaniards, Englismen and Americans become naturalized in DR they are Dominicans and we have to vouch for them same as if they were Dominicans. Sosua was built for Jews by Trujillo. Those people are not longer jews or Israelis. They are Dominicans.The managerial Spaniard class in Bavaro are now Dominicans. As for the Glock gun, only police officers with the rank of Major or above are issued Glocks. So draw your own conclusions! Of course, the Glock can be easily imported from Haiti. But chances are the robber was a high ranking police officer.

E

Eddy

Re: Glocks

TW, unless things have changed, Glocks can be purchased and owned by anybody that can afford them (With permits of course). I think you mean are the cal.45's. Only military and police are allowed to own/carry them.

E

ECH, M.D.

ROB.........AN ANECDOTE

Rob, have to share this with you....

During the Vietnam era I was in Singapore at an Officer's Club having a few rounds with some of our Australian and British and New Zealand cousins but there was one fellow at the table that I kept asking my new friend sitting beside me..."what did he say"...."what did he say".....finally, I said, "What language is that fellow speaking that I not only can't understand....but am totally unfamiliar with?"
He replied....
ENGLISH MATE!!!!!!!!

HE'S FROM SCOTLAND!!!!!!

Then I had a Brit ask me if I were from Australia!!!! Me with my Georgia accent!!! and he said it is so difficult to tell Americans from Australians.....they all sound alike to us Brits!

So much for our sharing the same language!!!!!

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Glocks

No. Low ranking officers use 45s. The Glock is a special option for high ranking police officers and the other armed forces and is strictly issued only to these people.

A

aristoba

Sosua jews

I quote you "Sosua was built for Jews by Trujillo."
The question is why are they not any more jewish ?.
also they were never Israeli. That State was created about 10 years later.
It is a religion. You dont change relegions as one might change
nationalities.

T

Tony C.

Re: Boca Chica Vs London,Vs.Madrid,etc.

It is next to impossible to deport a us citizen from the US. The only ones I have heard of are former Nazi who lied when they arrived in the US. Actually the only way they Can strip a person of their US Citizenship is if they can prove they lied in their application or they have fought in the military of another government. So any Dominican being deported from the US is a Dominican. Not a US citizen. BTW A-Rod was born in the US and went to High School in South Miami-Dade County. So that makes him American! Nobody is saying that Sammy Sousa is American.

As for Stars leaving Miami. The only one I know of is Stallone and he left because his studio deal fell apart. Actually the Crime rate in Miami has been in a steady decline since they legalized conceal carry in Florida.

T

Tony C.

Why a Glock?

Why would anybody rather have a Glock instead of a 1911 Govt. Model .45ACP? I guess the Glock is just the Trendy gun to have. Give me Browning's baby anyday!!!

K

Karl Weber

Re: Thanks...

You Quote " Many have learned their skills and developed their criminal mind in the USA"?? is this some kind of joke, can you please show me some kind of article or research in which you based that decision. I guess you are implying that these robberies were all committed by people who have lived in the USA and came back home. Let me tell you a little something about crime in Boca Chica. Everyone here who has visited Boca Chica can most likely tell you a story of someone there trying to rip you off, and those who say no probably stayed in the Hamaca and never left the hotel. In any town, city, country you visit if you walk around looking like a tourist you are an open candidate to be a victim of some sort of crime. In Boca Chica many people walk around so bombed they have no idea what their doing, therefore leaving themselves open for a mishap. Now, i have talked to many people who live in Boca Chica and an overwhelming majority(95%) who live there have never been to the USA, or actually better put, cannot get a visa to come to the USA, so please dont tell me we give them skills to be criminals, its already in their mind.

E

Eddy

Re: Why a Glock?

Best firearm for this type of climate. No rust. Only inconvenience, very $$$$. I'm sure some of our contributors have them and can vouche for the fact that they require very minimal maintenance.

D

DR1

Read what I said...

From the people I speak to, they tell me crime appears to be on the increase in Boca Chica.
Might have something to do with all those USA trained criminals the DR gets on a regular basis?

I said "might", I never said it did.

I then followed it up with this post:
sometimes I forget. Yes, ECH is correct, these are basically Dominicans deported from the USA. Many have learned their skills and developed their criminal mind in the USA.

When the USA deports criminals back to the DR, what do you think some of the
turn to when they get back? Making "ropa" in the free zones?
No, "some" turn to crime with the skills they have learned and developed in the USA.

You said...
Now, i have talked to many people who live in Boca Chica and an overwhelming majority(95%) who live there have never been to the USA, or actually better put, cannot get a visa to come to the USA, so please dont tell me we give them skills to be criminals, its already in their mind.

It doesn't take a % to commit a crime, it takes just one person.
I never said or implied the felon lived in BC.
He could have come from Santo Domingo or San Pedro, who knows?

I visit BC often, I have many, many friends in BC.
I'll be there tomorrow, I was there for a "Thanks Giving" party.
I'll be there maybe next weekend before I go fishing.
I have lived in BC. Yes, I know the place pretty well.

Will I stop going? Of course not! I have never had a problem and hopefully never will
whilst in BC.

Rob.