New Member = Lucas61

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)

I may as well introduce myself and get a free point! LOL! On a serious note, regulars will remember that I was the persona non grata who, after joining, tried to get extra points by copying/pasting to New Members. Needless to say, I was sanctioned.

When I was doing it, I was not fully aware that this could be considered "gaming the system." I was lonely and looking for friends and this fact affected my judgement. So please accept my apology.

On my behalf, however, I would say that if the policy of dr1 forums was not to incentivize such behavior by not creating the exclusive "500 Club" and awarding "badges," this event never would have occurred.

My real name is "Kurt." My Spanish name is Lucas. This is because the "rt" consonant combination is not pronounceable in Spanish unless followed by a vowel (compare English "part" with Spanish "parte")

You can see from my Profile that I taught secondary school English in Los Angeles, CA for thirty years. Not only this but that experience was exclusively in the black and brown communities, first working, then living and working. My world-view shifted dramatically and, over-time, I came to identify with those cultures, particularly African culture of Africa and the diaspora. Although I may at times "penetrate the veil" I will always be an outsider. Although I am Caucasian, I have not been around Caucasian people for so many years, that it has been an adjustment whenever I do enter into that discourse . . .

I have explored E/A, Kenya, and W/A, Ghana and Republique Togolaise; as well as Belize, Jamaica, Cuba, and Haiti. I have made 20+ visits in Mexico, including riding horseback in the mountains of Palenque, Chiapis and speaking some of the Tzeltal language. (Also, Tikal, Guatemala)
I have also enjoyed a smattering of Hindi, Twi, Ewe, and Dizaa. My Spanish and Haitian Kreyol is between beginning and intermediate, reading, writing, and speaking. I am speaking Spanish 24/7 with my girlfriend, her family, and everyone I meet. German is last.

Also, two months India. Three trips U.K. One trip Germany. 11,000 mile Jeep trip from Los Angeles to Newfoundland ("Newfies") and back. 24 hour trip from Los Angeles to the Grand Canyon, hiking a bit, eating a steak dinner, not sleeping, and returning within the same 24 hours, then working a full day teaching in South Central Los Angeles.

My goal is to live in Haiti for one-half year or more. Having been in W/A, I will say that Haiti is more an African than a western nation. In fact, there has been recent discussion concerning Haiti's admission to the African Union. I prefer the social culture in Haiti to that of the D.R. However, given my First World requirements, I also require an habituated level of comfort (running water) and Internet and, of course, security. And on a budget. That will take some time. If I plan well, dot the i's and cross the t's I'm willing to take my chances. But, at my age, security is paramount. "Better to err on the side of caution!" In this regard, security is paramount everythwhere, including the U.S. In the U.S. I never take my $800.00 smartphone out of my pocket on the street. In the D.R. I never carry a smartphone. I carry the cheapest feature phone I can find, Ola, for $RD 850 on Duarte and never take that out of my pocket! In the U.S. I wear a Pebble Smartwatch. Here I wear No Watch. I have friends in Haiti with whom I'll be looking for an apartment.

Now I am in the D.R. visiting Haiti. By the end of 2015, I hope to do a flip -- live in Haiti and visit the D.R.

After that I will return to my boring solitary confinement to my condo in Palm Springs, California, where my three cats are waiting, and bide my time. I will also make my condo available to visitors via couchsurfing.org, freeof charge. The next plan is to "live" in Senegal W/A for a half-year or more. . .

dr1 forum:

1. a great information resource that has clearly benefited my stay in the D.R.
2. some -- snarky as hell! LOL! But there's always a "comeback!" LOL!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Who Cares????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
A LITTLE "Full Of One'self"?????????????
Most DR1er's are White, sure you want to "Contaminate" yourself???????

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Who Cares????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Most DR1er's are White, sure you want to "Contaminate" yourself???????

Come on CC, it IS the introduction thread, he's introducing himself. When they just say "hi" everyone jumps all over them and says they're supposed to say who, what, where, when, etc., and ask a million questions.

CCCCCCCC must be feeling better, he's getting grouchy again. :)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hey Kurt,

Cool intro. Where did you grow up? Where did you do your undergrad at, which school? What was your major? Are you retired?

Can i borrow some money?

PS. Have you read Jared Diamond's, "Guns, Germs, & Steel," and "Collapse: How societies choose to Fail or Succeed." There's an interesting chapter in there about Haiti.

Frank

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
And no doubt Mario Vargas Llosa's "La Verdad en las Mentiras" (The Truth in Lies).

"Welcome to our web said the spider to the fly."

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

After that I will return to my boring solitary confinement to my condo in Palm Springs, California, where my three cats are waiting, and bide my time.

Whats up with the other half? Waiting too? :confused:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"I may as well introduce myself and get a free point! LOL! On a serious note, regulars will remember that I was the persona non grata who, after joining, tried to get extra points by copying/pasting to New Members. Needless to say, I was sanctioned.

When I was doing it, I was not fully aware that this could be considered "gaming the system." I was lonely and looking for friends and this fact affected my judgement. So please accept my apology.

On my behalf, however, I would say that if the policy of dr1 forums was not to incentivize such behavior by not creating the exclusive "500 Club" and awarding "badges," this event never would have occurred. "

HA, so I was right! Mentioning that I got a "dislike" from you for it. So..... there you have it back (see post#1 :bunny:) :rambo:

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Welcome Kurt. Just curious...you said you prefer the social culture in Haiti to that of the DR--not judging here...to each is own. Just wondering if you had examples to explain what you meant by this.

Also what will you be doing I. Haiti? And in the DR for that matter...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Come on CC, it IS the introduction thread, he's introducing himself. When they just say "hi" everyone jumps all over them and says they're supposed to say who, what, where, when, etc., and ask a million questions.

CCCCCCCC must be feeling better, he's getting grouchy again. :)

Oh no! I prefer the "sick CC" better.:tired:;) He was less grouchy.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Oh yeah, i remember you, You had this great set up over by Mercado Modelo in a hotel or something for practically no money and were trying to figure out how to do Haiti on the cheap. I posted all the Air BnBs and guest houses for you. But your budget was too low for any of the internet postings..welcome back!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's,...."Da Kurtmeister" in German.
Wait till he finds out about the "DR1 Secret Society" for those of us with over 10,000 posts!
"OOPS" that's supposed to be kept Top Secret!
Now I have to kill all of you!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Salsa" have you ever experienced "Cocomoldan"????????

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Answer.

It is not possible to do what I have done and not be a little "full of yourself." I daresay that the same is true for many folk on this forum. Just query your friends and neighbors back home: Most people are afraid to leave the security of their (home) country. Expats are a "tough bunch" by definition. But, yes, the trait you speak of is a double-edged sword. You have to be careful that you don't cut yourself . . .

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Social Discourses

Welcome Kurt. Just curious...you said you prefer the social culture in Haiti to that of the DR--not judging here...to each is own. Just wondering if you had examples to explain what you meant by this.

Also what will you be doing I. Haiti? And in the DR for that matter...

In the African social model the individual is clearly given space and freedom. But there's a second and parallel group consciousness and discourse that individuals participate in simultaneously, as they choose. When I participate in this second level of discourse I feel a sense of connectedness that is otherwise missing in my Anglo-Saxon culture. Two examples. First, two women are having a conversation on public transport. A man sitting alone in the back is listening and offering his commentary. He is not invading a private conversation. It is simultaneously an A and B and an A, B, and C discourse. Or, when I take my breakfast of coffee or chocolate and bread at the morning market, there are no private spaces. Everyone sits shoulder to shoulder. Every public comment is open for debate, observation, or just silence.

I do the same things in Haiti, DR, Shanghai, or Palm Springs. Five hours morning coffee and reading. Computer and learning projects. Language study. Transition to the day's errands. Some social interaction. In Haiti I do not participate in any mission or volunteer effort. I am there as a traveler and world citizen.

Your "handle" speaks to your open mind!

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Thanks.

Oh yeah, i remember you, You had this great set up over by Mercado Modelo in a hotel or something for practically no money and were trying to figure out how to do Haiti on the cheap. I posted all the Air BnBs and guest houses for you. But your budget was too low for any of the internet postings..welcome back!

Yes, mountainannie, thank you for your support and advice. We had some discussion in a thread on Haitian news sources. My transition to living in Haiti remains a work in progress . . .

I hope you are recovering from your illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.