My favorite Radiostation

J

JohnS

I like these kind of informative posts!

This particular one was formulated in such an eloquent manner!
I had to read it aloud, to really, truly grasp the rythm of the words, so well chosen...

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: My favorite Radiostation-WFDU

My Favorite Radio Station:WFDU 89.1 Farleigh Dickinson University Radio Station,Teaneck,NJ(Alternative music) and WLIB 92.7 FM Long Island, NY(Alternative rock)

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Radio Bachata? How disgusting!

Lyse.Give me a break. Do you consider Bachata music? You really dissapoint me. That is low class music at best. I am being considerate even calling it low class. Its even worst.

P

Pasola Joe

Exactly!

It's only possible for me to listen to bachata for about 3 seconds....and then my skin breaks out in hives and even my pasola starts to sputter.It's merengue or nothing!

PJ

T

Tony C.

Alternative Music.

As a old Punk RoCkEr I hate that term "Alternative rock"! What the hell is that? I have heard people call everyone from U-2(feel good crap) to Green Day(wussy punk) Alternative music. I have to admit I think Wheezer is pretty good. BTW. I hate the music but I can watch Brittny Spears all day!

R.I.P. George. We will miss ya!

D

Duarte

Re: Exactly!

I used to be one of those who thought Bachata was for low class people..But I eventually started to realize that Bachata is actually great music...An in my opinion lately bachata has improved temendously, while merengue has declined quite a bit i.e Tulile, La banda Chula, Freddy Gerardo, etc. Not a pinch of decent lyrics there. I think there are lots of people who like it but do not admit it, so they don't appear "low class" to their snooty friends...
I like them both, but bachata is definitely easier to listen to than merengue lately...Just my opinion...Yo si soi un cibaeno de veida...

R

Ross Rucker

Re: Exactly!

the lower the class the better the music.

A mi me gusta la bachata con grajo!!!!

L

Lyse

Re: Exactly! for TW

I was expecting this answer from your part since you're from Santo Domingo but I agree with Duarte post. Yes, bachata has great lyrics. As for merengue, como lo dicen los dominicanos "el merengue se baila no se escucha". I grew up with rock music don't want to die with it.

L

Loren

The real gringo de la bachata

Hehehe TW, you sound like my wife when she says that Bachata is for malditos guajiros del campo. All the bachata in the house is mine, She is strictly Salsa and that B.S. Llor?n music that I can't stand. A bunch of crybaby guys pidiendo disculpe.

Nothin like sittin in the neighborhood colmad?n with a cold 22 oz. Presidente with not a tourist in sight, and the Bachata blasting out of the house system.

M

Meredith

Re: Radio Bachata? Love it!

That is so rude! How can you generalize music like that. Bachata is such an amazing part of the D.R. and peoples lives there. I can't believe that people are still so class-orientated, that they have to put down something in such a way. Bachata at least heart to it.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Alternative Music.

U-2 is nothing but cheap top 40 stuff. My alternative music is much more to the left. My favorite group is Trisomie21 from France, followed by Future Sound of London and VNV Nation from Germany. I am also into Orbital, Skinny Puppy and Severed Heads. Britney Spears is only OK to look at, but I think any of the 3 girls in Destinys Child could be better in bed. As for Passola Joe, the guy is really a Jurassic mind in music. Anybody who listens to Bachata should be extradited to an indian village in the Sonora desert. Could it be he lives near a colmado in Guachupita?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Merengue is just for dancing

Anybody who listens to merengue ought to have his brains cells checked for DNA defects. Merengue is just for dancing and you have to be really in the mood. Bachata is a gross fusion of many different styles strictly for the uneducated. It is no accident that only uneducated and ghetto people listen to this stuff. A characteristic of the people who listen to bachata is to play it very early in the morning. Who the hell wants to hear music at 6AM anyway? The closest thing I can related to is Country-Western, but even this is advanced compared to bachata. The singers are usually frustrated rappers whose voice appear to be too affeminate for rapping and their crying style is fake and obnoxious.
TW

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Thats right you colmado bug! *DC*

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Salsa is miles ahead of merengue!

Salsa is miles ahead of merengue, not to mention the scum of the music bachata. Salsa even takes intelligence, grace and experience to dance. Anybody can dance merengue, even a crippled dog. Bachata is a deformed fusion of Puerto Rican guajira and perico ripiao. Bachata is not traditional Dominican music. It has no roots, except it was a new answer to rappers in the poor ghettos of Santo Domingo. Salsa on the other hand was born in New York and created by the greatest music minds of the Latin World like Tito Puente,The Jew Larry Harlow, Joe Bataan, Eddie and Charlie Palmieri,Willie Colon, Ismael Miranda and the Salsa All Stars. Salsa comes from Afro-Latin Cuban music and American Jazz roots. In fact, The Palmieri brothers have recorded important Latin Jazz music. What is not salsa is Gloria Stefan music. Some people also confuse music by fusionists like Juan Luis Guerra and Chichi Peralta with merengue, but it is not merengue. Both Juan Luis Guerra and Chichi Peralta are as guilty as anybody of the destruction of the merengue, which is now on its last breath. Puerto Rican bands are doing an excellent merengue and will eventually take over the market, because Dominican bands have abandoned its true roots. All the new merengue is trash.

S

Squat

Re: Salsa is miles ahead of merengue!

I must admit the only latin music I can truly enjoy is salsa, especially from NYC... Ruben Blades, Marc Anthony, La India... Some young group from Venezuela called Los Adolescentes...
The Cumbia from Colombia can be fine once in a while, or the Son from Cuba...
Jazz latino is pleasant too...
But after all these years here, I am really tired of bachata and merengue, and really cant stand the "hysteric" merengue, like Tulile, la Banda Chula, or Nelson de la Hoya...

In the old days I use to live in Jamaica, where I really enjoyed the music, all kinds of reggae was good... But Jamaicans as a people were too complicated and racially complexed, that's why I feel better here in DR...

E

edwin

Re: Alternative Music.

Wow how interesting.. a VNV Nation fan here. I just saw them a few weeks ago here in NYC. VNV Nation is actually an Irish duo; their record label is in Germany. Did you get Ohgr's solo record?

Edwin

P

Pasola Joe

Re: Merengue is just for dancing

Tranquilo gramps! and stay buckled into your rocker before you tottle out of it.If you thought for one second that merengue was just for dancing then you need to have someone in the resthome check for a pulse.

PJ