Chinese Restaurant in S.D.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)

Having lived in China, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, and Viet Nam for one year as well as in the Asian community of San Gabriel Valley, CA, I'd like to recommend a Chinese restaurant in Santo Domingo. By way of analogy to "If it walks like a duck . . . " I figure that if the quality of food there is equal or better than the food I ate in China, then "It's probably a duck." -- which they also sell.

It is:

Restaurante Delicia Campestre
Av. Benito Gonzalez, No. 58
Barrio China
Villa Francisca
S.D.

To give you an idea of the location, it would be a 25 minute walk from El Conde if you turned north on Duarte (next to Jumbo), then to Benito, right, 2/3 block towards airport, on right side. There also happens to be a parada for taxi on the corner of El Conde and Duarte. Or to put it another way, from El Conde, it is a little more than half-way to Parque Enriquillo.

Don't be fooled by the name just because I have not indicated its Chinese namesake here. "The proof in the pudding" is that 1/3 of patrons here are Asian and that it is always busy.

My ear tells me that it is mainland China, Cantonese.

It is not luxurious but it is comfortable: AC; linen cloths; aquarium. The prices are high by Dominican standards. The cuisine is NOT Dominicanized.

It is traditional: Large tables for families (smaller ones too) with rotating centers. As you know, in Chinese culture, you order for the family, not the individual.

I have been there about ten times. Ask for spices which they keep in the refrigerator. Chinese spices are much hotter than anything you'll find in Latin America. Also request the pitcher of free ice water.

Here is a sample meal that I had yesterday with my girlfriend:

--one service of egg roll (two); freshly fried and succulent; make a spice concoction and dip.
--steamed rice
--wonton soup. Fresh and tasty with six large wonton per bowl.

These were the appetizers.

Entree: A large filleted steamed fish in a piquant sauce with vegetables: "Melt in your mouth."
A free plate of seven homemade almond cookies.
$RD 960.

It's not the best Chinese food I've eaten, for example, Grandmother's in Shanghai, a local dish of tomato and egg soup in a luxurious atmosphere, but it's very good and "a find." It's becoming my regular spot.

Also, on the way back, on the other side of Benito, is an excellent bakery. You can sit in with coffee or take out. Somewhat pricey but big selection and fresh ingredients. And, for that matter, there is a grocery adjacent to the restaurant where you can stock up on Chinese soups (add boiling water) with about three packets of spices each--VERY hot, for $RD 60 ea.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I agree completely. I run a hotel and we constantly send people there, and all we ever get is excellent feedback.

I cannot see how the OP said the prices are high by Dominican standards. All that food for RD$960, including service charge and taxes. This is cheap by Santo Domingo standards these days.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
AND Indian.. there is supposed to be an Indian restuarant but I can never find it. You have to make reservations? they sit you on the floor? (Do not know if I Can sit on the floor and get up any more?)
There are two Annie.....but neither is a "restaurant" in the true sense of the word, both are more like dinner or supper clubs. Each caters for 8-10 people with a set menu. The evening lasts about 4 hours and is usually accompanied by a cultural experience, either a dance group, a movie or maybe a "lecture" on "oriental delights" One is the "Chatny" which is open only three evenings a week, and serves Mughal Cuisine, you make a reservation and pay 50% up front. Calle Eduardo Jenner #4, Ensanche La Esperilla. Between Calle Madame Curie & Av. Pedro Henrique Ure?a. www.chatny.do Email - reservations@chatny.do
The other is "Jeeva" at the Swami Rajarishishiva ashram and yoga centre located at 25 Galv?n Street, just around the corner from you in Gazcue it works the same principle as Chatny, you make a reservation, pay 50% up front, and like Chatny it's good if you make up a group of 7-8 friends, so no one is embarrassed by taking off their shoes and sitting on the floor (and like you say, finding it difficult to get up again) in front of strangers . Call 809-685-7432 Marcelle D'Alessandro will be very happy to tell you all about it

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Cheap Is Relative

I cannot see how the OP said the prices are high by Dominican standards. All that food for RD$960, including service charge and taxes. This is cheap by Santo Domingo standards these days.

For excellent Dominican cuisine, walk from Delicia Campestre, south on Duarte, right on La Mella past Santome and find "La Mano de Dios." RD$ 200.00 for two persons. Save RD$ 760.00 Ask for a free pitcher of ice water.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dined with the most fair Alida and Celt202 last evening at Delicia Campestre. Sorry, no pics or videos.

We were the only gringos/Dominicans in the place while 50+ Chinese came through. A good sign.

As good as any Chinese/Cantonese restaurant I've ever eaten in.

Definitely worth a try.

PN is all over the place watching cars and people. We found good parking on Duarte around the corner.

Will definitely go again!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've eaten there twice now since the OP.

It's the best food I've had in Chinatown in the 12 years I've been here.

The staff is competent and professional, wifi works and they have a a very strong home made spicy paste that is outstanding.

They even wrap the leftovers in tin foil so they won't leak in the take out box.

Santo Domingo is like a bed of flowers. If you can get past the weeds you keep discovering new flower petals.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Dined with the most fair Alida and Celt202 last evening at Delicia Campestre. Sorry, no pics or videos.

Sorry no more pics and no video.................

258ckuc.jpg

..... and they have a a very strong home made spicy paste that is outstanding.....

2lka2l4.jpg

I don't think this is what you are talking about because I would not call it spicy I would call it HOT as you know what, but it was so good. I was there Wednesday evening around 7:30. Two appetizers, two meals, a Presidente and total bill 960 pesos.

Yes, the food was good but I doubt I would go if I had to travel a distance but if in the area definitely stop in.

Yes indeed, I will go back..............

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
2lka2l4.jpg

I don't think this is what you are talking about because I would not call it spicy I would call it HOT as you know what, but it was so good. I was there Wednesday evening around 7:30. Two appetizers, two meals, a Presidente and total bill 960 pesos.

Yes, the food was good but I doubt I would go if I had to travel a distance but if in the area definitely stop in.

Yes indeed, I will go back..............

That's the one. By spicy in that context I meant 'blow the roof off your mouth if you overdo it hot'.

It's not only that the food is good I have the general sense that the owners get it in a way that very few restaunteers do.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's the one. By spicy in that context I meant 'blow the roof off your mouth if you overdo it hot'..........

No shyte, I found out the hard way. LOL

As one would expect my Dominicana dinner guest wanted no parts of it.....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Looks like Huy Fong to me!

Huy_Fong_Foods_chili_garlic_sauce.jpg

Most good restaurants make their spicy sauce with dried peppers spices sauce and oil.
We have Huy Fong sauce but it isn't as spicy as some of sauce that offered in restaurants.
Good list and let's keep em coming. This will come handy when i visit SD.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...and they have a a very strong home made spicy paste that is outstanding.....

Most good restaurants make their spicy sauce with dried peppers spices sauce and oil.
We have Huy Fong sauce but it isn't as spicy as some of sauce that offered in restaurants.
Good list and let's keep em coming. This will come handy when i visit SD.

I have to agree with the two of you. No way could this sauce be bottled and stored on a supermarket shelf. Those darn bottles would start to explode in less than a week.

The restaurant would also be a nice place to eat before going to las ruinas de san fracisco for the free Sunday night concert. It is less than a ten minute walk downhill.