Where to buy the best coffee from the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
I am wondering if anyone has experience with buying coffee in the DR and exporting this. Which coffee plantation would be able to sell the best coffee for the best price?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Ramirez in Jarabacoa, -they market monte alto locally and export green beans all over the world. I bought 10# of roasted beans for my own use here at 153 RD each in one pound packs. Toured their facilities and they export most of their production don't know export prices but its huge bags (100 pounds I think) of green beans that they market. They have a web site Belarminio Ram?rez E Hijos, S. A. and tel 809 574-2618.

Woody Wood

May 2, 2014
Cafe Samir... in the mountain of Rancho Arriba, ask in the town restaurant. Swiss owner, costum design coffee available!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am wondering if anyone has experience with buying coffee in the DR and exporting this. Which coffee plantation would be able to sell the best coffee for the best price?
I export coffee. My wife's family & cousins are large coffee producers in the DR, top quality beans.

But not this season.

Why?

90% of the crop is gone because of the rust fungus. Gone. No more. Few areas were spared.

It will take two-three years before the first tiny crop will be harvested.

The DR is now an importer of coffee.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I export coffee. My wife's family & cousins are large coffee producers in the DR, top quality beans.

But not this season.

Why?

90% of the crop is gone because of the rust fungus. Gone. No more. Few areas were spared.

Very sad news indeed.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

But not this season.

Why?

Sorry to hear this.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

But not this season.

Why?

Best coffee I've ever had, bar none.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I apologize if this is drifting off topic but.......There doesn't seem to be any decline in the amount of Santo Domingo coffee available (Monte Alto is a different story). How much of their coffee does Santo Domingo import and from where. I have not noticed any difference in taste over the last few years.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Induban makes their santo Domingo coffee from a blend of different beans coming from different places, mostly imported. They told me that for years DR is an importing country, mainly because themselves (as the main producer) and the government didn't take good care of the cultivation of coffee for decades. Only the last few years there are initiatives to 'fix' that.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I apologize if this is drifting off topic but.......There doesn't seem to be any decline in the amount of Santo Domingo coffee available (Monte Alto is a different story). How much of their coffee does Santo Domingo import and from where. I have not noticed any difference in taste over the last few years.
Santo Domingo, like every brand of coffee on the shelves in the DR, is now mainly imported.

Again: the coffee rust has destroyed 90% of ALL coffee on the island, and it will take, at minimum, 2-3 years for even the first small crop to come in.

Coffee growers are in a mad dash to find the $$$ to import fertile beans of rust-resistant strains. There is no telling the quality of what will grow in the future.

The secondary...but immediate...issue facing growers is what will they produce until the new coffee becomes economically viable?

My wife's family, with thousands of acres in Cerro Prieto, is looking at planting Pitaya-Dragon Fruit. I've recently become familiar with it and find it rather...interesting...to say the least. Seems to be a strong market in Asia. Some images of Dragon Fruit:

The plant needs to be supported on a strong vertical pole. We're going to make concrete poles:
dragon-fruit-3.jpg

The fruit:
Dragon_Fruit_Pitahaya_.jpg

The yummy part:
dragon-fruit-4.jpg

I prefer the red, slightly sweeter, and will learn to tell the difference in the plant and external fruit. Right now they look the same to me.

We may have 6-8 trees unaffected by the rust (not even 5% of 1%) , so we *might* have some beans for family consumption, but certainly not for commercial sale. Sad, really. It's changed the family finances significantly. In addition to the Pitaya, we just bought a bunch of cattle to raise on non-coffee fields.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Induban makes their santo Domingo coffee from a blend of different beans coming from different places, mostly imported.
Actually, much of local Santo Domingo coffee comes from beans rejected for export by local producers.

The best coffee leaves the island because it fetches a higher price outside than the coffee cartel will pay for it locally.

Not all coffee is the same.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "Stash" of "Olivo Family" Dominican roasted beans just became like "GOLD"!!!!!!!!!
Thank them "Mr. & Mrs. "CB"!!!!!!
I will grind them "One by One" from now on!
"AFTER I fondle Them"!!!!!!!!
"Sorry AE"!!!!!!
"No Coffee For YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I have one unopened bag of CBs coffee. How to make it last for 2-3 years. ? ? ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My "Stash" of "Olivo Family" Dominican roasted beans just became like "GOLD"!!!!!!!!!
Thank them "Mr. & Mrs. "CB"!!!!!!
I will grind them "One by One" from now on!
"AFTER I fondle Them"!!!!!!!!
"Sorry AE"!!!!!!
"No Coffee For YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Don't feel sorry for me - I bought 40 pounds - 10 ground and 30 roasted beans. :p

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Can I interest you in some Pitaya? :p

We're checking to see exactly how much coffee from last year's crop we have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.