Learning Creole

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Does anyone have experience with learning Creole? Any recommendation on study material, online course or maybe a teacher in santo Domingo?

(No, I'm not considering to move to Haiti).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Cento Bono gives classes. I started there but did not continue since the pace was too slow for me and it is a rough part of town to get to. But you can contact them Centro Bon? maybe that will suit. The prof was good. Maybe get him as a private tutor? Or ask the center for a referral for one. They have contact with a lot of Haitians here who have University degrees and are teachers.

Also good is the Pimsleur course of CDs Learn to Speak Haitian Creole | Haitian Creole Language Course | Pimsleur?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Cento Bono gives classes. I started there but did not continue since the pace was too slow for me and it is a rough part of town to get to. But you can contact them Centro Bon? maybe that will suit. The prof was good. Maybe get him as a private tutor? Or ask the center for a referral for one. They have contact with a lot of Haitians here who have University degrees and are teachers.

Also good is the Pimsleur course of CDs Learn to Speak Haitian Creole | Haitian Creole Language Course | Pimsleur?

Thanks a lot! Centro Bon? indeed is in a part of town I do not regularly visit or like to visit, at least not in the evening, but I'll definitely give it a try!

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Great creole profesora to move in with you. You will be speaking creole in no time.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It helps if you speak French. Also travelling often to Haiti, reading newspaper, listening to music. It's a very basic language, not that hard to master. However native French speaker always tend to make it sound more French, as it seems more logical.
I observed the pronunciation is easier for Anglo-Saxons than regular French. Once you are back in the DR, make sure to establish friendship with Haitians, and tell them you want to practice your Creole. You can speak Creole everyday here, and sometimes more Creole than Spanish depending on your whereabouts...

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
I observed the pronunciation is easier for Anglo-Saxons than regular French..

Very true....as is the reverse.

Haitians from uneducated backgrounds with little exposure to french are better at english pronunciation when they start learning english.

It takes those fluent in french much longer to loose the accent.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Im not planning to travel a lot or spend extended periods of time in Haiti.

I hardly speak french, but I was taught french in high school for about 4 years, and I did notice that when Im trying to repeat some sentences of the online courses posted above, I'm going too much to the french pronunciation...!

It seems a funny language though...many words that doesn't seem to make sense when you read them, until you pronounce them, then it's just an easy way of saying a part of a composition of french or english words.

Only trying now if I can convince my main employer to pay for it and than i'll give it a try!