Huelga in Cabrera Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
:dead:

since nobody has bothered to mention it.... we have a problemita here... actually a big one.

Cabrera is under siege of sorts

Abreu stopped a Caribe Tours bus - police showed up shortly thereafter

Tire fires, electric lines downed... thugs from the neighboring towns have arrived along w/ police (Nagua, RSJ and even GH, they say)

Issue is 24hr luz.....among other things.
I know people who have had no water for 3-4 days

Abreu roadblock at any road that goes 'up and over' (they know how to do this)

Catalina abajo..... el puerto..... black smoke billowing up from the pueblo

not good for gringos...... confined to casa

WW reporting for the Cabrera Chronicle.:classic:
all the news that fit to print

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hopefully, our 'on the scene reporter' , TravelHippo will report in.....soon

I just saw photos....... not pretty.......

w/ power lines down - the big lady may be incommunicado....

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
BREAKING NEWS CABRERA UP IN SMOKE!!!

"The strike is because yesterday there was a high ranking official in Cabrera from El Norte. The people are protesting for a full 24 hour uninterrupted city power. Not having to rely on their Inversol and batteries for part of the day. They were also very upset that we’re being billed too much for the actual service and kilowatt hours being received. The official sympathized and said he’s going to be presenting this to his superiors and recommend a 20% increase of city power per day.

They even cared enough to include my meter. Funny I’m not upset but rather humbled that we were included as we support it to the max.

He continued to mention that we are approximately 2 or 3 years away from that 24 hour city power cycle for the area. I personally believe him not because of what he said but because of knowing El Norte has been approaching some the farm folks I know looking to negotiate permission for the towers on their properties. Otherwise I would just think he’s lying to look good.

In protest almost every electric meter in the town and hills was spray painted so the numbers could not be loaded for this month billing.

Obviously the people were not exactly pleased with what he had to say so now you have the reason for today’s Cabrera up in smoke huelga. The usual is taking place. Burning tires on the main roads is what’s producing the black think smoke. The people had spray painted almost all of the power meters so they can’t read them for this month’s billings. Yes they still use employees to go around once a month and gather the meter readings and Last is all the stores are closed at least to the public."

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
seriously..... its very bad, I hear.........in town.

I'm up in hills quite a distance away.... safe so far

my white face is behind my gate !!!!

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
Holy...****.....are you kidding me......are we in El Salvador...or the DR ?.........I feel terrible for you guys up there.

Cabarete isn't far way...Are we next?

Is the DR really going to ****...or is it me?....I was here in 08/09 and never heard of such things...

Hoping it gets better ASAP..

W.............

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I am here! Also choosing not to leave the house as everyone has suggested to us today, as well as seeing the photos!! We had our summer camp program this morning as usual and had about 40 kids whose parents let them make the journey through the streets to get here, which was more than we expected but we didn't want to cancel if they wanted to be here.. I think most of them were from close by in our neighbourhood though so none that had to face the main roads. A lot of smoke near our house this morning but couldn't see the actual fire.. probably out on the main road, which is a road up from us.

Hoping it is all over soon... especially as I am 9 months pregnant trying not to go into labour in the next 24 hours... plus we are out of milk! :/

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Iwondered how far along you were....

My boots on the ground tell me there is a lull in the action...
seems some poor bugger died y'day and they need to bury him -- pronto!

The huelga respects funerals , it appears

all calm for the trip to the crypt

Hippo... I hope they do the same for pregnant women!!

Milk....
they tell me you just go to the back door of your local colmado and you'll be served as usual

good luck

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Oh perfect, thanks for the milk tip! Maybe now is the time to pop out and take care of that before any action starts up again (although hopefully it won't)!

Luckily I don't think I will need to find out the huelga's rules on pregnant women, as I think this little one will be staying put for tonight... but you never know! ;)

Iwondered how far along you were....

My boots on the ground tell me there is a lull in the action...
seems some poor bugger died y'day and they need to bury him -- pronto!

The huelga respects funerals , it appears

all calm for the trip to the crypt

Hippo... I hope they do the same for pregnant women!!

Milk....
they tell me you just go to the back door of your local colmado and you'll be served as usual

good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it may have been defused somewhat by the funeral passing by..... we'll see

Once Mr Booze shows up - later in the day - havoc can ensue.....

get the milk and hunker down again..... and cross your legs !!! :p

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Display of photos:

11287_10152638986619600_6385930609763850783_n.jpg

10553463_10152638980104600_38082583798690968_n.jpg

10580239_10152638112724600_3288499736605925779_n.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the 1st two are the same corner, just main street and entering street....
3rd id the eastern entrance to town

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Glad to hear normalcy has returned.

I think the OP meant Edenorte and not El Norte. If there was a person from Edenorte there and they said anything, they were lying. The only way they will provide 24/7 power is if people pay for it (and there is the capacity available, of course).

Did the protesters say they would actually pay for the power they use, or did they just want 24/7 power they could steal?

Aug 6, 2006
I note here that in the DR, certainly in Barahona, that huelga does not mean that there is a bunch of people who stay home from work to protest some condition. Rather, it means that a bunch of clown simply make it hard to prevent anyone from going anywhere. When I arrived in Barahona, the driver stopped a mile or so outside of town and some guy told him that Casandra Damiron, the street that the main highway runs on, had a huelga going on, so I got out at the first bomba and took a motoconcho to my destination. There were only a couple of rocks in the street. No real problems. The huelga was over electric shutoffs, which are daily.

There is electricity on a varying schedule: it usually comes on at 9:00-10:00 AM, and shuts down around noon, then it comes on at sometime between 9:00 PM and midnight and goes off at around 4:00 AM. Water comes on, with varying amounts of pressure, around 8:00 AM and goes off at 10:00and occasionally does not come on at all. If there is enough pressure, the tinaco gets filled, those without a tinaco pass a hose around and fill up their tanques. Lots of women carrying buckets around. No one in Palmarito has paid a light or water bill for several years, at least no one I know. Some nights the lights come on, then go off and come back on again several times. This upsets people watching Canal 57, a TV station which runs nonstop films with lots of shooting and action and only commercials for new movies, which no one in Barahona ever sees, because there is no cine, and has been none for years.

I like to think that the guy who made the posters of Maria Montez, one of two famous Barahoneras, the other being dancer Casandra Damiron, calling her "La Reina del Technicolor" did so because he had a sense of humor, since the image of Montez was in Black and White, but the lettering on the poster was not. It announced a showing of a couple of her film could be seen last months at the University Auditorium, so those with time machines could venture back and take a peek. No one I know says they have ever actually seen a Montez film. She was sort of a Dominican version of Carmen Miranda. I find it interesting that Montez' father was a Spaniard, and Miranda was actually born in Portugal, so two famous Latin American Bombshells were not actually really all that authentic as Latinamericanas.

Now Rita Hayworth,( Margarita Carmen Cansino) she was a real Mexicana, though.

Downtown Barahona was a boring place to be. They are redoing the Parque Central, and encircled the whole thing with a "barracada de cinc". A peek through a hole revealed no one doing anything. The benches were all stacked up and there were several piles of pavers, but no one working.

One positive thing I have noticed is that there is almost no graffiti.

No one I know sympathizes with the huelguistas, who are said to be a bunch of tigres from the Camboya Barrio. The 26th of July, I think there was a threat of a huelga, and all the colmados closed early. Nothing happened, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.