How many KWH are you using?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
There are two threads about electric bills. What I would like to know, is how many kwh people are using?

Isn't there a magic number were the rate doubles if you go above that amount. What is that amount? Also how to read your bill. Under the Calculo de la Factor section I have three lines, example for my last bill:

Cargo Fijo
31 dias, RD$ 137.25 RD$ 137.25 ( this is the same every month)

Energia
200kwh X RD$ 4.44 RD$ 888.00
100kwh X RD$ 6.97 RD$ 687.00
31 kwh X RD$ 10.68 RD$ 336.65

So if I'm reading this right the rates changes when you reach 200kwh and 300kwh.

I looked at past bills were I used less than 200kwh and the rate was only RD$ 4.44. Those months are Nov-May.
So it seems like the AC is the power monster. Funny my highest month was Oct.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
1,766 kwh here, at 11 pesos each = 19,740 pesos.
But, we are COLD!!!!!!
Except when we 8 people take long hot showers!
Just being a good expat visitor here and doing my part to subsidize the 50% of the population who pay "NADA"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Just got our bill. We used 628 kWh for a cost of $6262.64. worked out to 9.18 average.

We pay Cargo Fijo of 154.56.

7.82 from 0-200
9.82 from 201-300
10.86 from 301 to 600 plus

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
But, we are COLD!!!!!!
Just being a good expat visitor here and doing my part to subsidize the 50% of the population who pay "NADA"!!!!

How many kwh are billed at 11.00 pesos?

Happy that you are cold, but everyone doesn't need or want to be that cold. Doesn't mean they are not comfortable.

I wouldn't turn the AC on if I could leave the windows open at night. I like the circulating air from a breeze and a fan but these damn mosquitoes force me to close the windows.

Feb 7, 2007
I have two meters, with about 300 kWh on each one. One is used for regular stuff, other one is used for air conditioning.

If you do not live in SD "condo-styl" building, it's quite easy to get two meters. Just make a fake rental contract (maybe under spouse's) name for another APT and when they install the meter just run the line to your A/C. If you live in a two stories family house you are actually entitled to two meters (but EDEs do not want you to know this) and if they give you a hard time just tell them you are renting out the upper floor and want to have the usage separated from your renter's. That way both of your meters can be under your name.
And even a one story house can get another meter, just open up a commercial contract and say you will open up a chimi stand in front of your house (of course do not tell them it's your house), they will install the meter on the light pole. Then, just run the wires back to your place. The commercial contract will cost you about 10% more per kWh than residential one, but still better than running over 700 kWh and paying those horrendous charges.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
No idea. It is better to get your place on a fixed rate. My bill is 2200 pesos and 6 a/c. Although we don't use them all. But two are on 24/7

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have two meters, with about 300 kWh on each one. One is used for regular stuff, other one is used for air conditioning.

If you do not live in SD "condo-styl" building, it's quite easy to get two meters. Just make a fake rental contract (maybe under spouse's) name for another APT and when they install the meter just run the line to your A/C. If you live in a two stories family house you are actually entitled to two meters (but EDEs do not want you to know this) and if they give you a hard time just tell them you are renting out the upper floor and want to have the usage separated from your renter's. That way both of your meters can be under your name.
And even a one story house can get another meter, just open up a commercial contract and say you will open up a chimi stand in front of your house (of course do not tell them it's your house), they will install the meter on the light pole. Then, just run the wires back to your place. The commercial contract will cost you about 10% more per kWh than residential one, but still better than running over 700 kWh and paying those horrendous charges.

Our Cargo Fijo is 154.56 a month would I have to pay that twice instead of once. I understand I could still be saving money but I was wondering if it would be an extra 154.56.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
No idea. It is better to get your place on a fixed rate. My bill is 2200 pesos and 6 a/c. Although we don't use them all. But two are on 24/7

I am guessing that has something to do where with you live.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I am guessing that has something to do where with you live.

Not sure. But instead of getting a meter, the electrician who wired the house (new construction) talked to edenorte and they sent a guy out to do a survey (wink, wink) and determined that the house would be 2,200 pesos. I always send a local down to pay the bill and depending who is working, it may get reduced farther. I have had it as low as 700 pesos. Probably works this way everywhere.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Not sure. But instead of getting a meter, the electrician who wired the house (new construction) talked to edenorte and they sent a guy out to do a survey (wink, wink) and determined that the house would be 2,200 pesos. I always send a local down to pay the bill and depending who is working, it may get reduced farther. I have had it as low as 700 pesos. Probably works this way everywhere.

If you do not have a meter then yes that is a pretty big difference. I don't think all the places let you go without having a meter.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why some people have meters and some have fixed rate. I don't know anyone in Santo Domingo with fixed rate, it seems to be mostly in campos and older neighborhoods. As far as I know, you can't request it. As a matter of fact, I remember reading that Edenorte was making the rounds on the north coast [Puerto Plata if I remember correctly] and installing meters in houses that were previously flat rate.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
What you ned to substantially reduce your bill is a "friend" in your power company to install a further 2 meters. You then have the loads rebalanced to take advantage of the poor people's subsidies. As it stand if you consume 1kw above 700 then you pay the full rate for your total consumption.

I have such arrangement and I have got my bills down to between $14-15000 per month for an ice cold house throughout and unlimited piped hot water.

Just a suggestion

But, we are COLD!!!!!!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Anywhere between 185 & 260 Kw/h per month... We don't have AC. All our light bulbs are LEDs, I bought a new fridge last year, good decision, big saving on our monthly power bill. All our computers are laptops. 2 TV's, one is LCD, the other is LED. 2 electric water heater, only switched on 15mn before shower.

In Las Terrenas, the rate is 20,65rd$ for each Kw/h.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, really... No other choice. This is Luz & Fuerza. Back in the days, they use to provide a complete 24/7 service without any blackout, but nowadays, we do have, every now & then, a little blackout. But not many.
The only solution is to optimize your consumption. My apartment is well-ventilated, so it never gets hot. I would say the fridge & the water-heater are the 2 power-suckers.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Iwould kill myself before I paid 20.65 per kwh!
At 11 I just punch myself in the face!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You are lucky you dont live in Bavaro, where 20.65 a kilowatt I would kill for!!

Average Bill here small 2 bedroom CONDO running the AC from 5pm till 7am every day.. $USD300 to $USD350 oh and we dont cook, but use the washing machine 2 times per week... Bavaro Rip off.. but I still love the place!! :classic:

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
+/- 98kw each month since 3 months

Cargo fijo
31 dias, RD$ 37.95

Energia
98kWh X 4.44 RD$ 435.12

====

RD$473.07

all light low consumption, fridge new, computer, TVs, inverter, pump etc... 6 outside lights On all the night and no AC and have wind here !