Arrival at SDQ airport, how to get to bahia principe la romana?

L

littlekeswick

How is everyone?
Curious of how to get to la romana bahia principe?
I arrive saturday at SDQ saturday at 3ish pm.
I do want to back track to santo domingo nor take a taxi.
I have read you can go to the upper level of the airport and take a gua gua to boca chica. Is this true? Could I then take a gua gua towards la romana?
Is this all possible? How long will this take?
Thanks so much :)

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
No, the upper level has no guagua's. You'll need to get out to the main road for that. And then you can guagua or three to BP in a few hours of travel.

L

littlekeswick

Cool, thanks for the info. How far out of the airport will I need to walk? Thanks :)

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If you have good luck you may grab a motoconcho just outside the parking/terminal area, if not it's a long hot walk to the main highway. Keep your luggage slim.

Aug 6, 2006
A motoconcho will take you from the upper deck of the SDQ airoprt to the hiughway doe $200 pesos. If you have a lot of luggage, ask one of the guys in a yello short at the upper dect to take you to the highway for $300 pesos. There are buses to Boca Chica, Juan Doio, San Pedro and La Romana plying this highway, which has been much improved just past Juan Dolio all the time. I don't think I would risk waiting on the highway after dark, but I have done this several times with no problems.

It is at least 3 kms. from the SDQ terminal to the highway. An unpleasant walk when hot of raining., at least for me.

Jul 28, 2008

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Unless you're really trying to go on the cheap, I would just hire a car. I recommend Dominican Airport Transfers (Dominican Airport Transfers | Punta Cana Transfers | Punta Cana Tours | Santo Domingo Shuttles | Puerto Plata transfers). You can pre-pay for the round trip between SDQ and Gran Bahia Principe. They meet your flight at the airport and pick you up at the hotel for the return. Always prompt. Always courteous. Trip takes a little bit over an hour.

I agree. Why are you complicating your trip. You are also banking on the fact that your plane is on time. Bite the bullet and take a car directly to your resort. It does not sound like you are familiar with the area. You are opening up yourself to getting ripped off or worse.

Aug 6, 2006
The trip between SDQ and SD or vice versa takes twice as long via taxi as compared to a guagua. Guagua fare is 70 pesos (US$1.61), by cap around $1000 pesos ($23.00) if you do a bit of negotiation. This is easier to do with the guys in the yellow shirts on the upper deck of SDQ. If time as any sort of concern or you have a lot of luggage and more than one person, perhaps a cab is the better choice. Make sure you have the address of your destination. In SDQ, Apollo Cab is the best I have used, as they have access to a radio. 809 987 4444.

I have yet to see a GPS in a cab anywhere in the RD. One cannot depend on street signs to actually exist. Not all drivers actually know the city all that well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The trip between SDQ and SD or vice versa takes twice as long via taxi as compared to a guagua. Guagua fare is 70 pesos (US$1.61), by cap around $1000 pesos ($23.00) if you do a bit of negotiation. This is easier to do with the guys in the yellow shirts on the upper deck of SDQ. If time as any sort of concern or you have a lot of luggage and more than one person, perhaps a cab is the better choice. Make sure you have the address of your destination. In SDQ, Apollo Cab is the best I have used, as they have access to a radio. 809 987 4444.

I have yet to see a GPS in a cab anywhere in the RD. One cannot depend on street signs to actually exist. Not all drivers actually know the city all that well.

He's not going to SD - he's going to La Romana!

L

littlekeswick

All this info is awesome!
I may bite the bullet and do the Dominican Air transfers, thanks WorldCitizenDC. It is quoting $69 which is not too bad.
We are traveling super light (small backpacks) and are super experienced travelers.
It would be nice to just get to the resort though and enjoy a drink.
Thanks so much everyone!

Aug 6, 2006
If it is $69 for all of you to get to La Romana, that sounds like a great deal, compared to the alternatives. It is 110 kms from SD to La Romana, and therefore about 90 from SDQ on a four lane highway.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
How is everyone?
Curious of how to get to la romana bahia principe?
I arrive saturday at SDQ saturday at 3ish pm.
I do want to back track to santo domingo nor take a taxi.
I have read you can go to the upper level of the airport and take a gua gua to boca chica. Is this true? Could I then take a gua gua towards la romana?
Is this all possible? How long will this take?
Thanks so much :)

Hello Littlekeswick, first I would like to know how will be your laggage? slim or big, or how many person are coming with you.

Hotel Bahia Principe its sales as La Romana but the truth is that is few Km. after San Pedro de Macoris.

1.- The buses to Boca Chica run only early in the mornings.

2.- Its used to be a bus also in the mornings that pick up people in the 2nd. level but also early in the mornings, not sure if still is running.

3.- If you like the adventure you can walk to the exit of the airport close to the police office outside like 300 meters where are all the motoconcho parked waitting for people, as some body says give them 200.00 pesos to take you to the main hight way and wait for bus. Me as Dominican I pay 50.00 pesos if they are only taking me with nothing to carry.

4.- another option is take a taxi from the airport to the main highway and pay 300.00 pesos and then air for a Bus there, make sure to tell them you are going to La Romana so they will know that most drop you in the side of the airport. (they will try to make a deal with you to take you to the Hotel.)

5.- From there pass by all the buses companies that run in the east region so sometimes if you say are going to La Romana they wil say to you yes come and then they will take you to the La Romana bus stop in San Pedro and make you waste your time from one bus to another. To prevent that you have to make sure take a bus from the Companies Sichoem, Asomiro from La Roamana or Aptra from Higuey that sometimes they stop. Avoid all others bus companies.

When you get your Bus tell them you are going to Bahia Principe La Romana and the bus will drop you just in front of the Hotel. Im not sure about the fee but I think is not more than 200.00 pesos from there. Once in front of the hotel you will have to walk to the main gate and call a taxi to take you to the Hotel that Im sure on be too much because is like 1 or 2 Km to get to the hotel from the main gate.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
All this info is awesome!
I may bite the bullet and do the Dominican Air transfers, thanks WorldCitizenDC. It is quoting $69 which is not too bad.
We are traveling super light (small backpacks) and are super experienced travelers.
It would be nice to just get to the resort though and enjoy a drink.
Thanks so much everyone!

You are on vacation. Like I said, don't waste your time trying to find buses. You don't know what the weather will be, what time your flight actually arrive and how long it will take you to get out of the airport. Pay the fee and you will be at your destination in about 1 hour, otherwise take your chances.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello Littlekeswick, first I would like to know how will be your laggage? slim or big, or how many person are coming with you.

Hotel Bahia Principe its sales as La Romana but the truth is that is few Km. after San Pedro de Macoris.

1.- The buses to Boca Chica run only early in the mornings.

2.- Its used to be a bus also in the mornings that pick up people in the 2nd. level but also early in the mornings, not sure if still is running.

3.- If you like the adventure you can walk to the exit of the airport close to the police office outside like 300 meters where are all the motoconcho parked waitting for people, as some body says give them 200.00 pesos to take you to the main hight way and wait for bus. Me as Dominican I pay 50.00 pesos if they are only taking me with nothing to carry.

4.- another option is take a taxi from the airport to the main highway and pay 300.00 pesos and then air for a Bus there, make sure to tell them you are going to La Romana so they will know that most drop you in the side of the airport. (they will try to make a deal with you to take you to the Hotel.)

5.- From there pass by all the buses companies that run in the east region so sometimes if you say are going to La Romana they wil say to you yes come and then they will take you to the La Romana bus stop in San Pedro and make you waste your time from one bus to another. To prevent that you have to make sure take a bus from the Companies Sichoem, Asomiro from La Roamana or Aptra from Higuey that sometimes they stop. Avoid all others bus companies.

When you get your Bus tell them you are going to Bahia Principe La Romana and the bus will drop you just in front of the Hotel. Im not sure about the fee but I think is not more than 200.00 pesos from there. Once in front of the hotel you will have to walk to the main gate and call a taxi to take you to the Hotel that Im sure on be too much because is like 1 or 2 Km to get to the hotel from the main gate.

Seriously?

Sep 4, 2012
If the OP will be a guest of the hotel, I would coordinate pick up with them. If looking for the cheapest way to get there, then motoconcho to las Americas highway followed by a bus to la Romana or Higuey. Tell them where you going and they will drop you off in the highway in from of the hotel entrance.

As mentioned, this hotel is a few k's from the main entrance and motoconchos are not allowed in.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Take the car service or taxi. I have made the trip to this resort a few times. As mentioned the main building is 2km from the road down an empty treeless road . When you are at the pool enjoying a cold drink you will be glad you are not walking in the sun with you luggage, even if it is light. The Bahia Principe is pretty secluded so you will need to travel a bit to get to any sort of local activity. Your second day there you can look for adventure without schlepping your bag and without any of your valuables, passport etc., in your pocket.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes LTSteve, Im Dominican and I know very well what I said, Its happened to me being Dominican getting buses, so imagine what can not happend to some one that is not Dominican.

I understand this completely. Gringos, who are not familiar with the territory and the way things work are not going to be able to do this, especially if they have no language skills. What I am saying is that tourists who come here think they can grab a bus at the airport and everything is done. They complicate their lives over a few dollars that should be wisely spent on getting direct transportation to the resort. Pound wise and penny foolish. I read this everyday in this forum.