Pakistani Restaurant in Santo Domingo

S

sham01

Marhaba Halal Food
Avenida Francia 87, Santo Domingo
(809) 964-8164

I am new to the forum, but I was in Santo domingo for work in June and found a very very good Pakistani restaurant while I was there. They are only open on weekdays from 11am to 4pm and it is run by a Pakistani couple. I visited a couple times during my stay. The first day I had the chicken biryiani and beef shami kebabs both dishes were tasty and authentic. On my 2nd visit I had the chicken curry, dal and roti all done surprisingly well. I grew up on Indian/Pakistani food and really wasnt expecting much, but everything was extremely good and reasonably priced. I was staying at the Courtyard by Marriott and it was less than 10 minutes by taxi. The restaurant was a bit hard to find and it is kind of a dive, but the food was well worth the trip. I am by no means associated, related or have anything to gain from
posting about this restaurant! Just thought I should pass on my visit on a truly surprising find in Santo Domingo.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Wish there were restaurants of a variety like this here in Santiago...............
Good info for when I go to the Capital............

B in Santiago

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sounds like AZB needs to pay them a visit, as he is the resident expert on Pakistani food.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Wish there were restaurants of a variety like this here in Santiago...............
Good info for when I go to the Capital............

B in Santiago
Don't hold your breath.....went there on Thursday early afternoon......although it does serve halal meat and it's just a few steps away from the mosque, it would need a looooong stretch of the imagination to call the place a restaurant. Four or five plastic tables under a tin roof with a big sign that says "Oriental and Creole Food". What we found was typically local rice and chicken with just a touch of curry and coriander. In their defence - the roti were good and the price cheap. The two of us ate chicken pieces and an eggplant and potato concoction with two roti that set us back RD$200. Won't be going back there again, but as my companion said with her usual sweet smile when I apologized for taking her there...."That's OK - if you don't try, how would you know?"

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Don't hold your breath.....went there on Thursday early afternoon......although it does serve halal meat and it's just a few steps away from the mosque, it would need a looooong stretch of the imagination to call the place a restaurant. Four or five plastic tables under a tin roof with a big sign that says "Oriental and Creole Food". What we found was typically local rice and chicken with just a touch of curry and coriander. In their defence - the doti were good and the price cheap. The two of us ate chicken pieces and an eggplant and potato concoction with two doti that set us back RD$200. Won't be going back there again, but as my companion said with her usual sweet smile when I apologized for taking her there...."That's OK - if you don't try, how would you know?"

So the food was decent and cost you a grand total of 5 dollars for two people.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I had to look up Halal

Halal is often used in reference to foods, i.e. foods that are permissible for Muslims to eat or drink under Islamic Shariʻah. The criteria specify both what foods are allowed, and how the food must be prepared. The foods addressed are mostly types of meat and animal tissue.

The most common example of non-halal (or haraam) food is pork. While pork is the only meat that cannot be eaten by Muslims at all (due to historically, culturally, and religiously perceived hygienic concerns), foods other than pork can also be haraam. The criteria for non-pork items include their source, the cause of the animal's death, and how it was processed.

The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of God") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck, causing the animal?s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.

Muslims must also ensure that all foods (particularly processed foods), as well as non-food items like cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, are halal. Frequently, these products contain animal by-products or other ingredients that are not permissible for Muslims to eat or use on their bodies.

Foods that are not halal for humans to consume as per various Qurʼanic verses are:

Pork[6]
Blood[7]
Intoxicants and alcoholic beverages[8]
Animals killed incorrectly and/or without Allah's name being pronounced in their killing[9]
Animals slaughtered in the name of anyone but "Allah". All that has been dedicated or offered in sacrifice to an idolatrous altar or saint or a person considered to be "divine"[6][7]
Carrion (carcasses of dead animals, i.e. animals who died in the wild)[6]
An animal that has been strangled, beaten (to death), killed by a fall, electrocution, gored (to death), or savaged by a beast of prey (unless finished off by a human)[7]
Quranic verses regarding halal foods include: 2:173, 5:5, and 6:118-119, 121.

wiki

So I wonder if there is someone from the Mosque who is raising and killing the beef? And if it tastes different from ordinary Dominican beef?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I had to look up Halal

Halal is often used in reference to foods, i.e. foods that are permissible for Muslims to eat or drink under Islamic Shariʻah. The criteria specify both what foods are allowed, and how the food must be prepared. The foods addressed are mostly types of meat and animal tissue.

The most common example of non-halal (or haraam) food is pork. While pork is the only meat that cannot be eaten by Muslims at all (due to historically, culturally, and religiously perceived hygienic concerns), foods other than pork can also be haraam. The criteria for non-pork items include their source, the cause of the animal's death, and how it was processed.

The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of God") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck, causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.

Muslims must also ensure that all foods (particularly processed foods), as well as non-food items like cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, are halal. Frequently, these products contain animal by-products or other ingredients that are not permissible for Muslims to eat or use on their bodies.

Foods that are not halal for humans to consume as per various Qurʼanic verses are:

Pork[6]
Blood[7]
Intoxicants and alcoholic beverages[8]
Animals killed incorrectly and/or without Allah's name being pronounced in their killing[9]
Animals slaughtered in the name of anyone but "Allah". All that has been dedicated or offered in sacrifice to an idolatrous altar or saint or a person considered to be "divine"[6][7]
Carrion (carcasses of dead animals, i.e. animals who died in the wild)[6]
An animal that has been strangled, beaten (to death), killed by a fall, electrocution, gored (to death), or savaged by a beast of prey (unless finished off by a human)[7]
Quranic verses regarding halal foods include: 2:173, 5:5, and 6:118-119, 121.

wiki

So I wonder if there is someone from the Mosque who is raising and killing the beef? And if it tastes different from ordinary Dominican beef?

Kosher and Halal are very similar.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
No complaints, Bob.....like the lady said "......if you don't try, how would you know?" and if I had a dollar for every unfortunate or disappointing food experience I've ever had, I could afford to have my own in-house executive chef instead of having to cook for myself (but no complaints about that either).
If I were allocating ratings (which I'm not) I would put this place on a par with what must be the thousands of lower-end comedores criollas where "plato del dia" costs around RD$100.

I was just thinking that it's a pity it wasn't more like Oscar's sorely missed and lamented Thursday night "Noches Pakistanis" at Mi Taverna which so many DR1ers used to enjoy......now THAT would be something to revive - Aftab any offers??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i usually don't go out to eat indian / pakistani food in dominican republic even if its prepared by indians or pakistani cook. Almost all the time I have tried some place in DR which is advertised as indian is almost always fake. One place, the owner was a german who lived in india and his cook was dominican who was preparing authentic indian dishes. please, give me a break. then you have some other place where food is served on a banana leaf. I have yet to meet an indian family which eats on a banana leaf. it maybe bangladeshi or south indian style (in villages) but no where you will ever see any north indian or pakistani eating on a banana leaf. I did see some country people eat on banana leaf in philippines.
In simple words, I can cook far better than any indian restaurant in this country. The only other places I have eaten good indian / pakistani food is in New york, atlanta and london. I think NY and london makes better indian / pakistani food than you will even find in pakistan or india.
AZB