Impressed by Sosua yesterday

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
So.... My first experience in Sosua wasn't the greatest. Sosua beach was dirty, food was over priced, and the Narco cops arrested a group of people at the table next to us while I was having lunch with my family. At night, again overpriced dinner, and constant harassment from putas and vendors while having dinner. On the way out of town a group of motos yelling for money. I haven't been past Playero since, until yesterday.

Yesterday, I went to Playa Alicia in the afternoon. Awesome beach, great location, got 2 big pizzas and three beer for under $30. Everything was clean and comfortable. In the entire 4 hours we were there, I only got asked twice to buy something and they left with the first 'no'

In the evening we went to the movie on PC. The kids enjoyed the movie, the atmosphere was chill, there was popcorn, and walked down the street after the show with no putas or motos bothering us.

It was a good day, I'll give Sosua another chance.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
personally, i would consider it a highlight of my day. :laugh:

Well, I won't say it wasn't fun to watch, but we were 10 feet away with three kids, and they all had guns. It was pretty mellow considering, but nerve racking.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
So.... My first experience in Sosua wasn't the greatest. Sosua beach was dirty, food was over priced, and the Narco cops arrested a group of people at the table next to us while I was having lunch with my family. At night, again overpriced dinner, and constant harassment from putas and vendors while having dinner. On the way out of town a group of motos yelling for money. I haven't been past Playero since, until yesterday.

Yesterday, I went to Playa Alicia in the afternoon. Awesome beach, great location, got 2 big pizzas and three beer for under $30. Everything was clean and comfortable. In the entire 4 hours we were there, I only got asked twice to buy something and they left with the first 'no'

In the evening we went to the movie on PC. The kids enjoyed the movie, the atmosphere was chill, there was popcorn, and walked down the street after the show with no putas or motos bothering us.

It was a good day, I'll give Sosua another chance.

I like Sosua beach but I go to the same place every time and we get fish. It is an Italian guy that runs it and normally the same waiters. We bring our own little radio get some chairs and umbrellas and just relax. The vendors seems to pass us by after the see us not pay them any attention. Now the restrooms are not too nice. The place is not upscale. I think it also depends if you are going on the weekend or during a holiday. We go during the week a lot and there is not a big crowd normally.

I like the shade that is provided by the trees besides using the umbrellas. I think if you are going to eat there I would ask for recommendations and not just pick a place at random. Once we are done with the beach with leave Sosua. Of course I am the only gringo and everyone I am with is dominican so we might get harassed less.

I have never seen anybody being arrested while I was on the beach but I know it happens. The worse I saw was a couple of guys smoking weed and we could smell it.

Meems

May 1, 2013
When our guests ask for beach recommendations, I always describe the two beaches this way: Playa Sosua has shade and food and is more "lively," especially at the weekend. Playa Alicia has fantastic swimming, but no shade, not so great food/drink, but a more laid-back European atmosphere. It depends on what you prefer. I myself love Playa Sosua, but I always go to the same spot, with the same guy (Roberto) who takes care of drinks, food, umbrella, etc., and as a local (albeit a gringa one) I am pretty much left alone by vendors/masseuses/musicians. Roberto also arranges with a friend who has a little restaurant for me to use and change in the small but clean bathroom, thus avoiding the dreaded 10-peso public bathroom/changing room near the beach entrance.

I do love Playa Alicia, but I think it is time for Alex, King of the Umbrella Concession and Dominican boy-catnip-to-visiting-Canadian girls, to invest in some new umbrellas, as many of the ones he's still renting have seen better days and border on the dangerous. My other complaint about Alicia is that the food comes from the Waterfront restaurant, and I'm not a fan.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
My other complaint about Alicia is that the food comes from the Waterfront restaurant, and I'm not a fan.

You've got choices. There's a Cafe in the park above the beach & Bologna Restaurant delivers anywhere in Sosua.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well, I won't say it wasn't fun to watch, but we were 10 feet away with three kids, and they all had guns. It was pretty mellow considering, but nerve racking.

you should have used it as an opportunity to give them a lesson in morale. or alternatively, show them what will happen if they don't eat their greens. missed opportunity, man, missed opportunity.

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
Playa Sosua was great last year during the week but on weekends I would stay away as it is too crowded. We ate at big D BBQ and the food is great and not expensive for what you get. Big D is a good guy and will sit and chat and treat you good. If I wanted quiet playa Alicia was a 30 second walk from the condo we stayed at.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It will be interesting to see how this goes in high season.

I really don't like Playa Alicia....nothing to do, nothing to see. Just my opinion.

I tell you though, now that there are barely any tourists around....the faction of nutty expats sure stick out like a sore thumb. I have learned in the past year and a bit, there certainly is a bevy of "characters" out and about representing their respective countries. Certainly does get interesting later at night.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
It will be interesting to see how this goes in high season.

I really don't like Playa Alicia....nothing to do, nothing to see. Just my opinion.

I tell you though, now that there are barely any tourists around....the faction of nutty expats sure stick out like a sore thumb. I have learned in the past year and a bit, there certainly is a bevy of "characters" out and about representing their respective countries. Certainly does get interesting later at night.

It's like sitting on a sand dune in the dessert.
The little restaurant is good for a beer at sunset though.
The main beach with shade, food, beer and people watching is a better spot.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Playa Sosua was great last year during the week but on weekends I would stay away as it is too crowded. We ate at big D BBQ and the food is great and not expensive for what you get. Big D is a good guy and will sit and chat and treat you good. If I wanted quiet playa Alicia was a 30 second walk from the condo we stayed at.

a bottle of water for 50 pesos is what i call expensive, especially when i can get it in the supermarket for 8 pesos.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Ha Ha Ha Catnip boy! Too funny....... I haven't been to Sosua in years since I settled in Juan Dolio. Is Lou still running the Shark Bar on Pedro Clisante? Is it still open?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Ha Ha Ha Catnip boy! Too funny....... I haven't been to Sosua in years since I settled in Juan Dolio. Is Lou still running the Shark Bar on Pedro Clisante? Is it still open?

Lou's gone, sold the bar.
Shark Bar still open last I knew.
No more real sharks in Sosua waters.