Conductor of Philharmonic Orchestra Visits Casa de Arte In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Recently, the conductor and violinist Javier Hip?lito Gurrero of the Philharmonic Orchestra in Santo Domingo (UASD) paid a visit to the Casa de Arte in Sos?a.

There he attended rehearsals of the string orchestra that practices several times a week in the upper room of Casa de Arte. He gave some students valuable tips about the violin, viola, cello and double bass. He was very pleased with the technical level of the students, and detected some special talents among the students. When he heard that the students had been in possession of the instruments for only half a year he was extremely surprised and he praised the students and teachers for the results achieved. He promised to be back in a few months and pay another visit to the cultural center and check out the progress of the students. He promised that the talented students could eventually earn a place in his orchestra.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Wow, another outstanding example of culture in Sosua. Only six months playing and they have a future in the Philharmonic. Amazing that they were so good he did not even recognize they were newbie musicians. Culture, culture, culture, thats the new Sosua. When are we getting our Sosua Philharmonic orchestra? Its time.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
If such cultural events will continue to be organized in the Casa de Art of Sosua in couple of years Sosua will be the Culture Capitol of the World! Guggenheim Museum and Tate Britain will argue for the dates of exhibitions.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If such cultural events will continue to be organized in the Casa de Art of Sosua in couple of years Sosua will be the Culture Capitol of the World! Guggenheim Museum and Tate Britain will argue for the dates of exhibitions.
lol...I guess the Guggenheim will display Velvet Elvis paintings and dogs playing poker or my favorite "sculptor" on the beach that sells those wooden carvings of a man wearing a barrel, and when you pull up the barrel he displays a large "member".
Hey culture and art is in the eye of the beholder.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its a desperate and lonely hunt for anything cultural. Transforming the worlds view of our little town is not an easy task. We have to expect a bit exaggeration. Its a long road from CubaDave to the Sosua Philharmonic Orchestra. Wonder if the first concert of the SPO will be for free on Pedro Clisante? Maybe go on just before the movie?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the cultural center

2r6ctgm.gif

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I go by this Art center most days...on a normal day I have yet to see anyone there. What goes on in there on a normal day?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think it is wonderful that there are people in Sosua trying their best to enrich the lives the children. I suppose it seems like a small thing to those from other countries where children enjoy all sort of enriching opportunities, but that is certainly not the case in Sosua.

I commend the director of the philharmonic for coming to Sosua and giving these children his attention. Whose to say that his encouragement has not ignited a spark in one of these children and that the dream will be pursued to the point that one day someone from Sosua is playing violin in his orchestra.

I'm sure, too, it must be a thrill for the parents of these children to see them perform. I bet few if any ever dreamed that their children would be playing a musical instrument.