Canadian Permanent Residency - received e-mail to bring passport to embassy

W

wilsonc

Good afternoon,
I am in Canada with my wife and son on a single entry visitor visa. My permanent residency application is in progress (it was submitted in December of 2013). I received an e-mail yesterday asking me to bring my passport to the embassy in Santo Domingo within 14 days. They say in the letter that it will not be returned the next day. The only thing we can think this means is that they will give me the permanent residency, but I am afraid that if that is not the case then I will be away from my family and will have to reapply for another visitor visa (once they return my passport to me). I saw on an older thread that they used to call applicants and give them the visa the same day. Has anyone received an e-mail such as this and do you know what the processing time is?

If I choose to mail the passport to them (i.e. courier), do you know if I should ship it to the street address or the PO Box (mailing address).

Thanks very much for any insight.

Wilson

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Good afternoon,
I am in Canada with my wife and son on a single entry visitor visa. My permanent residency application is in progress (it was submitted in December of 2013). I received an e-mail yesterday asking me to bring my passport to the embassy in Santo Domingo within 14 days. They say in the letter that it will not be returned the next day. The only thing we can think this means is that they will give me the permanent residency, but I am afraid that if that is not the case then I will be away from my family and will have to reapply for another visitor visa (once they return my passport to me). I saw on an older thread that they used to call applicants and give them the visa the same day. Has anyone received an e-mail such as this and do you know what the processing time is?

If I choose to mail the passport to them (i.e. courier), do you know if I should ship it to the street address or the PO Box (mailing address).

Wilson

Hola Wilson I think you should spend some money and ask to inmigration Lawer, With something like this I think you can not take the risk to make wrong desition that will make everything more complicated.

If they give you a Visa with Single entry to Canada that mean that you have to come back to Dominican, they didnt give you the visa for you to stay in Canada.

If I were you will be talking to inmigration lawaer and Im sure he will tell you to come back to Dominican and continue with the process.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good afternoon,

Wilson

Does Santo Domingo know you are in Canada? From what I understand if you change your status from visitor to PR your interview or the handing in of your passport will be done here in Canada.

BTW at this point don't waste your money on lawyers

W

wilsonc

Does Santo Domingo know you are in Canada? From what I understand if you change your status from visitor to PR your interview or the handing in of your passport will be done here in Canada.

BTW at this point don't waste your money on lawyers

Hi, I am Wilson's wife Karen and I am actually an immigration consultant. Don't worry, everything that we have done is legal. Dual intent is legal. He is here visiting and has a valid visa (which was renewed once before for a year) and would of course return before it expires. At the same time he would like to get permanent residency and we have applied for that. We chose to apply outland because of the appeal option available and shorter processing times than inland in Canada. We have applied for another visitor visa extension and his current visitor visa is still valid. It is however, a single entry visa so he cannot re-enter Canada on it. Yes, Santo Domingo knows, a copy of the visa was in the application and explained in the cover letter that he is the care giver for our son. We have been more than upfront and we are both following the law.

Visa offices are very specific and different and each has their own variations to the process. What Wilson really wanted to know was if anyone has ever received an e-mail worded this way and what happened. If for others it has ended in the PR visa then we will leave. Again, I don't think we have a better option, especially given the difficulty with couriers (other that me going down to Santo Domingo to deliver it in process). If anyone has had a similar experience we would love to hear what happened. Thank you very much.
Karen and Wilson

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Have you tried contacting the Visa Reception Office in Santo Domingo with his case number?