Inheritance Law - Real Estate Title

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hello Everyone. I will be finished paying for my condo soon and I'm trying to figure out a way to help my daughter avoid problems when the time comes for her to inherit. I am not married and have only one daughter. We are both U.S. citizens. She lives permanently in the U.S. I live in the Dominican Republic. Is there any way to put the condo title in both of our names so that when I pass away she gets it without paying inheritance tax, which I understand can be substantial for a foreigner? Or if not to avoid the extra tax, just to make the process of inheriting easier for her? Other concerns I should think about? Advance directives for end of life, etc? Thanks!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Inheritance taxes in the DR are not substantial. In fact, they are very low: just 3%.

There used to be a surcharge for foreign residents, but it was recently declared unconstitutional by the Constitutional Court of the Dominican Republic

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thank you for the reply. I suppose it is not worth worrying about then and when the time comes I'll just refer her to your firm with whom I've worked for several years on my residencies.