El Hoyo (the Hole)

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I was shopping Friusa for a hard to find music accessory the other day without any luck. I asked a "home girl" (never ask a homeboy) and she told me there was a store in "el Hoyo," and she pointed to the street with that name. Fresh from watching all of six /Neil deGrasse Tyson presentations on the Universe and w/the disturbing concept of Black Holes vivid in my mind, I had a start (or was it a pause).

On foot, alone, white, past my prime, yet undaunted, I sidled up to the narrow canyon-like entrance and peered in; rather, peered down. I immediately reconciled the name. El Hoyo was a steep drop from the level of Plaza Friusa, but neither grade nor narrowness deterred traffic, be it vehicular of all types and sizes and/or pedestrian. It was busy.

With innate curiosity, adventuresome spirit, and heightened senses, I started down. The street was more constricted than narrow, but there was commerce everywhere I turned. There seemed to be PNs everywhere I turned too. That emboldened me so I focused on finding my store. I never found the music store but I found a hardware store that stocked an item I hadn't been able to find.

I also found a butcher in a colmado called "la reyita." The colmado was well stocked with all traditional DR product and the butcher cuts your choice of meat off hanging racks. I'm partial to tenderloin so I'll be going back to see him when my digits come in next week.

All in all, "el Hoyo de Friusa" is just another unique aspect of the DR. It is also a market place where you can find hard-to-find product on the East Coast.

jj

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It reminded me of a typical street in Port-au-Prince - before the earthquake. I haven't been for a couple of years, since I've visited one of the schools there, Nazaret. A friend used to volunteer there as a teacher and raise funds, and we took some donations of sports equipment for the children.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I need to venture there this weekend. I need to find good ribs for smoking closer than Super Pola.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Proceed at your own risk

During the day the location is OK for the bold with company to venture. PJT's volunteer and community work has brought him into the barrio for many years and is familiar with some of the residents. It has earned him "at least for now" a do not molest label from the locals. However, PJT warns you to stay away during the night as it is too dangerous, this is not an off the shelf warning. PJT's neighbor for many years is the jefe of the PN detachment at the top of the rise at the other end of the Hojo, near the bus storage and grave yard. He is quite friendly and discreet and has advised to stay away from the area due to criminal activities that even the police have a hard time to control because of their own fears of the environment.

Yes, you can get some good material deals in the location but proceed at your own risk.

Regards,

PJT

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
During the day the location is OK for the bold with company to venture. PJT's volunteer and community work has brought him into the barrio for many years and is familiar with some of the residents. It has earned him "at least for now" a do not molest label from the locals. However, PJT warns you to stay away during the night as it is too dangerous, this is not an off the shelf warning. PJT's neighbor for many years is the jefe of the PN detachment at the top of the rise at the other end of the Hojo, near the bus storage and grave yard. He is quite friendly and discreet and has advised to stay away from the area due to criminal activities that even the police have a hard time to control because of their own fears of the environment.

Yes, you can get some good material deals in the location but proceed at your own risk.

Regards,

PJT

Absolutely. El Hoyo's criminal reputation precedes it. The strip is well-policed all the way to the buses (PN headquarters) during the day. Would not venture at night, especially on foot. Then again, I wouldn't venture to many places at night on foot. It's a shame that to get to the nearest tailor, shoemaker, and etc., warnings must be considered. I used the Universe's Black Holes as an analogy for "El Hoyo." At night the analogy is most certainly more appropriate.