How does EPS work?

Jul 28, 2008
On the one hand, I'm happy to report that there is still no customs duty imposed on internet purchases under $200 USD. On the other hand, I'm totally baffled by the process at EPS. I got the idea (from reading this site) to send a package to a friend living in Santo Domingo; I still live in the US. However, I wanted to be able to pay the cost of shipping the package from Miami to Santo Domingo. I thought that when I set up the EPS account, it would allow me to associate a credit card with the account to take care of any shipping charges. But, no joy. :rolleyes: So, now the package appears to be in Santo Domingo. I have called EPS 10 times over the last 3 days trying to arrange payment. But, no one there seems to be able to tell me how their process works (I know that may be asking too much). :mad:

Can anyone on this forum tell me how the process is supposed to work? Or can payment only be made by the recipient when the package is picked up?

Ay, co?o!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You register at an EPS office, you buy something, use the shipping address EPS gives you, the article is delivered to that address, is shipped to StoDgo and distributed to the branch where you joined and you go pick it up & pay the shipping.

EPS sends emails of the progress of each shipment.

Solid service.

Apr 13, 2011
But - he is sending it from the US to someone else in the DR on an EPS account that he had set up - so isn't there a way he can pay for the entire delivery on his account, even while he remains in the US??? Why does his friend have to pay when he receives the package?? Or is that the only way it can be done?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
But - he is sending it from the US to someone else in the DR on an EPS account that he had set up - so isn't there a way he can pay for the entire delivery on his account, even while he remains in the US??? Why does his friend have to pay when he receives the package?? Or is that the only way it can be done?

That is the way EPS and the others work. You send the package to EPS (or X) in Miami, they send it to the DR, take it through customs, send it to a local office. It is at the local office where you get the bill for the EPS (or X) charges for bringing the parcel from the US to the local office.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He can send it to his own account and the person can pay and get it on his name. I would assume that would be the only way.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I don't know if EPS has changed it's criteria..............
But when I opened up an account with them a few years back in Santiago...........
A current Credit Card was required.......
And my Credit Card info was entered into their system.............
This was a must.........

B in Santiago

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No credit card necessary. I have had an account with them in different places for about 10 or more years, never asked for a CC. Could be the office you opened it at. They are individually owned I believe.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know if EPS has changed it's criteria..............
But when I opened up an account with them a few years back in Santiago...........
A current Credit Card was required.......
And my Credit Card info was entered into their system.............
This was a must.........

B in Santiago

I've had an EPS account for at least 20 years. first in Nagua and now in Sosua. Never asked for a credit card.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I've had an EPS account for at least 20 years. first in Nagua and now in Sosua. Never asked for a credit card.

That's interesting.............
I will have to find out why my CC was necessary...........
My credit is pristine, so now I need to know why it was necessary................

B in Santiago

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
That's interesting.............
I will have to find out why my CC was necessary...........
My credit is pristine, so now I need to know why it was necessary................

B in Santiago

I can understand why, I have seen your picture.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thank you all, as usual, for your knowledge and insights.
If is less than 200.00 pesos they charge for the shipping and weight.

If the eps account is under your name, your friend here wont be able to pick up the package. You have to set up the account under your friend name so he will be able to pick you the package.

When they package arrive they will make a bill and depending the weight will be the amount you have to pay if is more than 200.00 other charges apply.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
On the one hand, I'm happy to report that there is still no customs duty imposed on internet purchases under $200 USD. On the other hand, I'm totally baffled by the process at EPS. I got the idea (from reading this site) to send a package to a friend living in Santo Domingo; I still live in the US. However, I wanted to be able to pay the cost of shipping the package from Miami to Santo Domingo. I thought that when I set up the EPS account, it would allow me to associate a credit card with the account to take care of any shipping charges. But, no joy. :rolleyes: So, now the package appears to be in Santo Domingo. I have called EPS 10 times over the last 3 days trying to arrange payment. But, no one there seems to be able to tell me how their process works (I know that may be asking too much). :mad:

Can anyone on this forum tell me how the process is supposed to work? Or can payment only be made by the recipient when the package is picked up?

Ay, co?o!!!

Next time send it via Federal Express, UPS or DHL. Then you pay upfront and the package is delivered to the recipient.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Ay, co?o!!!

Hi:

Most of the people replying to your post have missed the point. First thing, you should have not used EPS to send a package from the US to the DR. It would have been much easier to just have used UPS, Fed EX, DHL...It maybe would have cost more but you would have payed for the shipment and it would have been delivered directly to the address you wanted. EPS is a mail forwarding service. That means that most of the people using this company are living in the DR and have their mail and purchases from the US sent to a Florida address and than forwarded to the DR. You did it the hard way. I would suggest that you have the recipient pick up and pay for the package and than you can re-emburse them at some point. EPS is not set up for the way you are using it. Most of the people using this have set up accounts in the DR and they pay for the service upon delivery. You should have asked this question before you chose this method. Good luck.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is much cheaper to have someone here set up an account to receive items than it would be to send via UPS/DHL/FEDEX. But it is important to point out, as you did, that they need to set up the account in their name to receive anything sent to them via EPS, TransExpress or my current forwarder EncargoPaq.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Which "EPS" office has your package, there are several, and not allin SD!
Send your friend your "EPS" account #.
Send them to where ever your package is.
They give them your acct. #, pay and go home.
I have sent lots of people to get my deliveries, so do all the "RICOS" here, it's "Beneath Them" to go!!!!
EPS never asked any questions.
Try THAT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC