POP/Sosua Hotel Bargains

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Looking for advice from you North Coasters again! The last time I asked I was pleasantly surprised with the suggestions :)

We'd stay in Cabarete again but this time we'll have kids with us! Our daughter and possibly two of her friends. Cabarete, we feel, isn't the right place to go with them so we're looking at POP or Sosua.

It'll be 5 of us max, two adults and three kids. Possibly two adults and one child though so we'd need hotels that can accommodate either way.

We need suggestions as to which is better. POP or Sosua. I've been to POP and the only good beach is Playa Dorada (in my opinion) which is a bit out of town. I've never been to the beach in Sosua and am not sure what to expect.

If you've got advice I'm all ears. Budget hotels that are kid friendly.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
How many nights are you staying? Will you have a car ? Do you want an A.I., non-A.I., or either way ? You could look into renting a house or an apartment. I think getting in the water in Sosua is nicer then Cabarete but besides the beach during the day in Sosua I would think Cabarete is better.

As far as Puerto Plata area. You can get on the beach on parts of the Malecon. You have to look and see where there is enough sand and someone who rents chairs and an umbrella. In Cofresi you need to go to the part of the beach in front of Lifestyles. Almost everyone is from Lifestyles there but it is a public beach. Cofresi is kind of interesting to see if you have never been there. There isn't a whole lot besides ocean world and a couple of places to eat. They have some nice houses you can rent there.

As far a cheap A.I. i think Barcelo is good. Like most of them the buffet is ok so try and make a reservation to a restaurant as soon as you get there. But the pool is nice. If you get tired of the A.I. and have a car then you can check out other places. When you check out on their website I think the promo code 10barcelo gives you a discount.

Barcelo is in Playa Dorado which you said is the beach you like. I saw yesterday they have this big trampoline (in the complex) where you are strapped into a harness of some sort. Club 46 is there if any adults want a late night drink. Parts of Playa Dorado are pretty windy and other parts have some protection from the wind.

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
IMHO.....Sosua by far the best beach. Are you all beach bums or activity / adventure driven ?.
POP beaches are the worst by far..seaweed, water not that clear etc.
Cabarete has by far the better selection of beach front restaurants with chaise lounges by the water.
I believe Cabarete is the safest as well
POP has had some crime issues lately.
Theres a couple of AI in Sosua that are not pricey which will still get you to meander around.
Sosua...not a place for kids after 9pm.
Theres a couple of good tour operators in Cabarete that I have met and trust

Cheers and good luck

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The beach in cabarete is not good for swimming , sosua beach is pretty good ,costambar beach is good for kids ,and cofresi is a nice beach, I don't think pop has anymore crime then sosua or cabaret.

Jan 17, 2009
What??? Cabarete beach from the center of town and east up to Velero is perfectly good for swimming.

The beach in cabarete is not good for swimming , sosua beach is pretty good ,costambar beach is good for kids ,and cofresi is a nice beach, I don't think pop has anymore crime then sosua or cabaret.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
@texan We will have a car and will be there only for one night, maybe two. Not looking for all inclusive, we need something that is affordable and can accommodate all 5 of us if our daughter's friends come along.

@BarAndGrillGuy We'll probably be at the beach all day. We live in Santiago and our daughter LOVES, LOVES, LOVES being in the water.

@monfongo I have the opposite experience as you. Confresi is the worst beach. Rocks, sea shells, sea weed, it's terrible there. Cabarete was clean, clear, and sandy.

When my wife and I went we stayed at Hotel Alegria which was nice for us. We're looking for something like that which can accommodate all five of us if need be. :)

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Have you considered Victoria House? They have two pools and its right on the beach. You can probably get a suite.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
You North Coasters never disappoint! I checked out the suggestions and it looks like Rocky's is right up my alley. At a great rate too!

Aug 21, 2007
You North Coasters never disappoint! I checked out the suggestions and it looks like Rocky's is right up my alley. At a great rate too!

I like Rocky's, It is a great place, but it is not a place to stay with kids. I recommend looking into some of the other suggestions.

~ Lindsey

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I like Rocky's, It is a great place, but it is not a place to stay with kids. I recommend looking into some of the other suggestions.

~ Lindsey

:(

We'd be out of the room most of the time, we'd only be there to sleep. Still think that's a bad idea?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
how old are the little darlings? sosua always has good sitters/watchers for them while mom and pop relax....just be careful at beach w/cameras/radios/etc as these things grow legs...

Meems

May 1, 2013
I second the suggestion re: Tropix Hotel in Sosua. Since you will have your kids, Tropix is an excellent choice as it is the only hotel (or one of the only hotels) in Sosua that is NOT chica-friendly.

Last edited:

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Ya, and walk your kids blind-folded around town, they might - God forbid - see a chica ....!

May 29, 2006
Also no pool. You'd think a pool is optional, but they are very nice when you don't want to deal with the drama on the beach, you can go for a quick dip whenever, and the water is a lot cleaner(hopefully). I stand by Tropix or AirBnB. I don't know if they still have it, but last time I was at Tropix(more than 10 years ago) they had a courtesy bar. Take beers out whenever you want 24/7 and leave the money in a box by the cooler.