Why does this not surprise me?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
matilda, you clearly lack critical thinking. it is obvious that DR is not at fault here. get your facts right. also,learn some spanish and try to immerse yourself in superior dominican culture. it's time you move out of the gated compound and live among real dominicans like myself. duh.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This age issue is a big one in DR, it's amazing how many try to get away with it. And then it also hurts anyone who is big for his age, or matures early, because no one will believe them.

I just watched the movie "Pelotero" on Netflix this week, watch it if you get the chance.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well since one can purchase a real birth certificate here in the dr, it could be hard to prove if they did it right.......

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Sadly, why should this be any different than the way business is regularly done in the DR? Dominicans are used to cheating the system. The rest of the world is a little sharper and will not tolerate this type of behavior. Why do you think, most of the MLB players being caught using banned drugs are from the DR? Same reasons. The risk is worth the reward and if they are caught oh well. Countries caught doing this should be banned from competition for a number of years. Zero tolerance.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It is not a Dominican thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a developing country thing, there are been several instances when African soccer players in Europe were caught or suspected of lying about their ages. One would do anything, to escape poverty. And lying a few years on a birth certificate is certainly one of them. I can't really blame them IMO, Money talks.

Not long ago, during the Olympics, Eastern European and even Russian players were regularly accused of cheating as well (banned drugs, ages and so on).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
but this is dr1.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and not ithappenseverywhere.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have noticed. Gracias ! :rolleyes: I thought DR competed against itself on the international scene and lived in a bubble.

It is a professional sport issue and the DR is not immune to it. Yes, it is not surprising, but it is a stretch to say it is Dominican thing or the rest of the world is sharper.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is not a Dominican thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a developing country thing, there are been several instances when African soccer players in Europe were caught or suspected of lying about their ages. One would do anything, to escape poverty. And lying a few years on a birth certificate is certainly one of them. I can't really blame them IMO, Money talks.

Not long ago, during the Olympics, Eastern European and even Russian players were regularly accused of cheating as well (banned drugs, ages and so on).

i agree with you, to a point. ever since the Olympics became a showcase for professionals, and not an amateur event, doping has become a big problem. winning an Olympic event opens the door for all kinds of endorsements and appearance fees. the mega-commercialization of all aspects of human activity has opened the floodgates of cheaters of all stripes. look at all the sprinters who have been accused of cheating, from all countries? heck, was there not a case of a guy posing as a woman?

we know that the DR is atrocious when character issues come into play, but maybe they learnt it by example.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is a stretch to say it is Dominican thing or the rest of the world is sharper.

no one said "it's a dominican thing". the article was about dominicans cheating and this is what we are discussing.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
no one said "it's a dominican thing". the article was about dominicans cheating and this is what we are discussing.

Well, I was responding to: " Dominicans are used to cheating the system. The rest of the world is a little sharper and will not tolerate this type of behavior". Which sounded exactly just like it, at least to me :tired:

Gosh, you making me sound like Chip now. :ermm:

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's one of the best universities in the world and it accepts e-money. good choice.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Sadly, why should this be any different than the way business is regularly done in the DR? Dominicans are used to cheating the system. The rest of the world is a little sharper and will not tolerate this type of behavior. Why do you think, most of the MLB players being caught using banned drugs are from the DR? Same reasons. The risk is worth the reward and if they are caught oh well. Countries caught doing this should be banned from competition for a number of years. Zero tolerance.

This has happening for years with soccer players from Africa. Boys of 14 who look like 22.. Also European players using drugs. and what about the Tour de 'Dope' France or the East German and Chinese swimming teams..

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This has happening for years with soccer players from Africa. Boys of 14 who look like 22.. Also European players using drugs. and what about the Tour de 'Dope' France or the East German and Chinese swimming teams..

Friendly reminder :rambo:

but this is dr1.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and not ithappenseverywhere.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!