Some Glimmer Of Hope Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2010
I like to say that some good news for Sosua is that ?Passions? is to reopen beginning of October with a restaurant and whole new look according to a worker that is working on the renovations. I hope that the powers at be could understand that you just can?t stop or change Sosua overnight, and that it takes planning and cooperation from the local community to implement change. The way things have been going at the moment and I can quite understand it needs to change but, to stop one thing and expect it suddenly revert to the other will never happen. Initially you drive all the regular traffic away from Sosua which results in all the local businesses being run down or closing which will in essence stops the tourists coming here at all with the place looking run down and a no go area. With shops boarded up and robbers on every street corner, desperate trying to support their families. You can now see the start of this happening before your eyes walking down Pedro Clisante with very little new reinvestment. Sosua is reaching a point with a slippery slope downhill if nothing is done to stop it. Imagine a new law tomorrow that Sosua will now be an alcohol free city, it will never happen. Control is what is required, not persecution. Pedro Clisante is a long road, why not move the clubs, bars that base their clientele on the adult entertainment down past Zolo supermarket with a sign stating you are entering an ?Adult? area. This would make it very clear what to expect when entering that zone. This would help by clearly outlining where girls and guys can feel free to enjoy the bars and night life while also providing a safe environment for families to enjoy an evening out without feeling intimidated. This would stop the decay of Sosua and give breathing space and time for change to take place without driving business into closure.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A red light district, why didn't anyone else think of that?

But wait, it has been proposed many, many times but not by anyone in government.

The issue is that the Attorney General of the DR wants to do what he can to stop prostitution. Not one voice from the government, to my knowledge, has ever said anything about creating a red light district (as good an idea as that might be.)

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I hope you at least took a breath while writing that paragraph. :)

But I do agree with the basic concept you suggest.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Probably will reopen again. Probably will end up getting shut down again too. If they go back to offering their
"original entertainment" I'd stay as far away from this place as possible. It only takes one (nudge) phone call from
Santo Domingo and everyone in the joint goes straight to jail. This aint America, different country, different set of rules.

The last thing I want while living down here is to have my face possibly shown on one of these (good old American)
CNN special reports about "sex tourism" in the Dominican Republic and what the government is doing to crack
down on (foreign) men seeking this type of entertainment.
I don't know about you but I think I smell a rat. I wouldn't call the reopening of Passions
"a glimmer of hope for Sosua" Sounds more like a shot in the dark to me.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Wouldn't it make more sense to leave things as they are where it already is and make a Kiddy zone somewhere else?

I agree, especially as many have suggested the move should be closer to the largest residential area in El Batey:rolleyes:

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
This is fiscal colonialism. Generalisssimo wants to starve out the current landowners so he can be the owner and pimp daddy.
So hes taking money from developers promising to clean up the town and in Dominican fashion he will take thier money use his juice to break the current business owners and then own it all.

There will never be a cuera free Sosua. The place doesnt have enough going for it to support it without the girls and the nightlife that it brings. There is a reason that people go there... the beaches meh. Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico St Lucia I can type nicer places all night. Nicer cleaner lower crime. The list goes on. The Dr does not have the cheap factor luring people in anymore. I spent less money taking my girl her kids my kids to Puerto Rico for a week than I spent with my kids in DR for a week.
The DR gets most of its tourists outside of the AIs because of the chicas. The DR doesnt have the infrastructure to support a Paradise Island or a Disneyworld.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
as i remember el batey was the whore zone... not positive that they walked the streets but mostly inside... ps with the crappy economy ....no jobs money gone loosing homes whats a lady to do? its the same as the investment banker who falls back on his fathers trade that he learned as a teenager,,,

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Excellent, yet another post talking about closing down the whore bars in Sosua. Yawn. Surely this subject has now been done to death now?

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
When you are young p***y depraved as some old men are, another thread is total excitement.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
Regarding the idea to move the bars to the other end of Pedro C, how do you do that? Do the cops simply shut down all the bars and force people to move? Does the government buy all the buildings at the other end and give them to the bar owners? It costs money to move an establishment, especially if you don't own the building at the new site. So how do you get the bars to move even if a decision is made to re-establish down there?

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
The DR gets most of its tourists outside of the AIs because of the chicas.

Thanks for that valuable information. I did not know that most tourists in Cabarete are there for chicas. Its always nice to hear from knowledgeable people.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Regarding the idea to move the bars to the other end of Pedro C, how do you do that? Do the cops simply shut down all the bars and force people to move? Does the government buy all the buildings at the other end and give them to the bar owners? It costs money to move an establishment, especially if you don't own the building at the new site. So how do you get the bars to move even if a decision is made to re-establish down there?

It's done thru Zoning (in 1st world) - and over time when a change is desired. Not just moving businesses. Existing non-compliant businesses are allowed to stay in their existing spot because they are "grandfathered", meaning they were in place prior to the zoning change. Moving/compliance is encouraged thru tax incentives, etc.

To create a red light district where one does not already exist would be a nightmare getting all nearby property owners to agree. That might happen on it's own in a small way, but I'm pretty sure you won't see a proposal to organize it.

I think Cab has zoning in place. Sosua does not.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
JohnnyBoy;1472753 The DR gets most of its tourists outside of the AIs because of the chicas. The DR doesnt have the infrastructure to support a Paradise Island or a Disneyworld.[/QUOTE said:
This is absolutely untrue. I run a hotel in the Colonial Zone with a 100% "no chica" policy, we are full almost all of the time and we have one of the highest ratings on the island. The vast majority of my clients are couples in their 40's and 50's who are coming to see the "real" DR and to see some of the history and the culture. In my experience, the type of tourists who come for the chicas tend to be the ones who pay the least and complain the most, and the chicas bring a whole range of problems with them. I'm not unique - most of the successful hotels in the Colonial Zone discourage or ban chicas, and all of us have had a very busy summer season. Outside of Sosua and Boca Chica, I can't think of anywhere which really does attract the chica tourism, and in my opinion both of those towns are on their knees because the mainstream tourists are put off by their terrible reputation for being full of prostitutes.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
This is absolutely untrue. I run a hotel in the Colonial Zone with a 100% "no chica" policy, we are full almost all of the time and we have one of the highest ratings on the island. The vast majority of my clients are couples in their 40's and 50's who are coming to see the "real" DR and to see some of the history and the culture. In my experience, the type of tourists who come for the chicas tend to be the ones who pay the least and complain the most, and the chicas bring a whole range of problems with them. I'm not unique - most of the successful hotels in the Colonial Zone discourage or ban chicas, and all of us have had a very busy summer season. Outside of Sosua and Boca Chica, I can't think of anywhere which really does attract the chica tourism, and in my opinion both of those towns are on their knees because the mainstream tourists are put off by their terrible reputation for being full of prostitutes.

A male only hotel, what's the name of this place I wont be going to.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Thank you for shedding some reality on this situation. Whore mongers have a personal vision of being saviors here.

mrfermin

Sep 1, 2014

I've worked in hospitality almost 15 years. I'm currently stationed on 5th ave near central park in NYC and i can honestly tell you my friend, a hotel owner who judges with his eyes and not his cash register is doomed to fail. I'm a decent law abiding citizen but after a whole week of wearing a suit I just want to throw on my camo shorts and yankees baseball cap and have a cold one. I guarantee you I spend way more than your "mainstream tourists" when im in DR. And I was born in DR!

Viva Passions!!!!!! respectfully of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.