foreign investment

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
when i first got here in the early 80's factories were still operating but closing down rapidly.. mostly u.s. manufacturers had "enough" they had garantees($) goods in goods out...no taxes etc.. employed thousands..there was no mexico vietnam china etc...most dept.store clothing came from d.r. Then the powers that be decided to tax the goods coming in...factory was built, workers were there machines power all there...
bingo the ship loads of cloth had to be paid coming in....the son or manager called n.y. or pops and told him... he said "pay them and pack the machines up. we leaving...and they left....
now other factories are not so happy here and there is a big invitation to invest in d.r. to start up here a small pants factory is going to cost couple or three million u.s. $ ..do you think that the manufacturers forget? now that they are in china who never forgets their promises...
it would be nice to see 50k new jobs on the island both sides but with a shrinking global economy, where is the real advantage to my setting up shop again here?
i spoke to one and he was bitter... he was one of the ones who just closed up....didnt move to china...stayed here with 20 machines in his house....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
firstly, you need to acquaint yourself with punctuation marks, most importantly, with full stop.
secondly, funny that you ask because today i read two articles about foreign investment and almost passed out from laughter.
Danilo pide aprovechar el destino RD - listindiario.com
El estancamiento de los salarios atrae la inversi?n extranjera - listindiario.com

El presidente Danilo Medina llam? ayer a los inversionistas nacionales y extranjeros a invertir en Rep?blica Dominicana, pa?s que le ofrece el mejor clima de seguridad jur?dica y las mejores garant?as de incrementar sus ganancias a trav?s de la inversi?n.
Adem?s de su estabilidad econ?mica y pol?tica, as? como su estrat?gica ubicaci?n geogr?fica, uno de los atractivos que tiene Rep?blica Dominicana para captar inversi?n extranjera es el estancamiento de los salarios.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sorry punctuation police... i dont think that big boys will come back to d.r. for factory... maybe new business...but return factories ..imo no....i always want to open up here but i wont...i have been treated fairly but when you have to pay tax after tax on top of tax it would be simpler to say we charge 33% and be done... the hand is out too far for my taste...dont get me wrong d.r. is a wonderful place. for some..could be the best place on this side of the planet.....
i like what he says about repat of monies...u know the dom rep can and do change their policy at once....as the banana bounces...
look at the crazy pay schedule/holiday/sickleave/pension separation pay here...in china the factory pays all that other stuff kicks in after time served...

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Just gotta say.
chic be hav'in a rap.
I'm drunk, read it 3 times and still can't grab it.
Chic, please speak like you are outside the walls.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sorry i mostly always have imbibed.when posting....im not always thinking properly
..shouldnt write then but ...also im thinking im revolting...so bear w/me...?ive got deep secrets... i could learn spell check...but was well educated...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
see,i believe in p.p. it is not the most expensive destination plenty of rooms enough family things to do (i hope they still open) proximity to u.s. and with enough 'ADDED"ATTRACTIONS dancing clubs maybe available girls to clean their rooms ...not everyone is going to cancun...or the donald side of the island...
build, invest here... you dont need a million dollars. look at the rate sosua was built....roi...
d.r. says it is giving tax free things. what do i need from u.s. quality sheets and towels? oh....kitchen stoves and ovens etc...
im puttin down on the north coast...now when prices and cash are low and hard to come by...except for those cleanin girls...

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I agree with the tax situation for businesses outside the tax free zone. I know the government needs the money because its trying to improve the life of people and build the country and as a consequence has a lot of debt, but an analysis must be made to the competitiveness of the DR vs. other destinations and make sure the island has an advantage. Also the electrical grid must be improved. Some sort of nuclear plant or reliable infrastructure must be built and roads leading to ports must be smooth and maintained. Every time I look around I see the Dominican Republic getting better and better. Hopefully the next administration will follow in the footsteps of the current and even improve the international business climate and create trust that rules such as taxes will remain constant for many years in the future...then more investment will come this way, imho. I love this country.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I agree with the tax situation for businesses outside the tax free zone.

How do they control goods that are manufactured in tax free zone factories from getting to the local markets? And if there's no control for that, why isn't all manufacturing done in tax free zones?