Looking to find info on traveling with Dogs..

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
When we left in November, we traveled with 2 dogs to the US and it was fairly simple. They had their shots, proof, and a Doctor's note that they were able to travel.

Now I'd like to travel with 4 dogs.. the 2 that first came with us and 2 puppies that mom gave birth to in the US.. They are all Chihuahuas and the babies are now like 7 months so they aren't real little..

All I see is rabies shots and a letter from the vet they are healthy.. does anything need to be translated?

Just curious

Jen

PS--I tried the search function as I realize I'm not the only one traveling back and forth but it really stinks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
issue with airlines and dogs is heat. AA has set exact temperatures that cannot be exceeded at the time of take off. I had to take a 6am flight out of Santo Domingo to avoid the heat. Check the airlines web sites as they are all a bit different. Problem in the DR is the summertime temperatures. If dogs are small enough they can go under the seat, otherwise you will need a cage that meets the airlines standard. AA charged me about $200 USD to fly a 50 pounder in a crate to Miami about two years ago. AA sees flying your pet as another chance to empty your wallet. Dirty old planes, snotty crew and often delayed and or late.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Thanks everyone!! We came back to the states with two Chih's as carry items (under the seat) they had us put both dogs in 1 carrier (we had come to the airport with 2 carriers) and then charged me $100 each (Jet Blue)

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
European Airlines allow just 2 dogs per flight in a Cabin. They explained it is due to allergy reasons of some passengers. They want to prevent any event. Honestly the easiest way is call customer service of the airlines which you might use to be on safe side.
I once got my little baby rejected at the Frankfurt Airport on the return flight just because my Chihuahua had 1 kg too much and to arrange
a carry box at the airport was not possible due to the little time frame (2h left until departure). The bitch at the check in was making a fuzz, then send me to the customer service, LOL the customer service of the airline was sooooooooooo nice they really tried everything to get my baby on the plane, they called any possible person who might be able to decide. We are talking just one KG; the bag with my baby had 7kg and the weight allowed was 6 kg! But this 'amazing' frustrated supervisor bitch called from her desk all offices too that at the end they did not let my baby travel with me.
LOL the customer service group even explained to the upper-level decision maker, that the dog is really tiny and the Christmas food at grandma's put him a bit overweight, ...they came out of their booth to pet her. Luckily i had a person who drove me and took Julia back with him until my mother brought her over 3 months later.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I think Westjet has a limit of 3 dogs in the passenger area so it is a good idea to book early. You can book online but then have to call them to book the dog.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think is is new information...

I recall reading the travel specs for WestJet - kennel size.
The regulation was a max 36" length kennel... If I remember correctly.

I checked my size.....
footprint was 33" but if measured at the longest point (they flare out at the center/belly) was 40" long

I called the airline who informed me that the 36" was an approx size....
they won't accept 'large' kennels but mine would be OK.... a bit bigger will pass.

Today, in anticipation of my Saturday flight , I get an e-mail detailing what I need to do to get ready.

Lo and behold, the posted size for a kennel is now 40" long

You really need 40" if the dog is 65 - 75 lbs and tall.

Anyway, it appears to a be a rule change.

Makes me happier..... hope it helps somebody else.

Only 3 kennels per flight ... 100 lb max..... book ahead..... $50 one way..... 90 minute shut-off before flight