Sosua ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

ALS is a horrible disease which leads to the failure of the organs and ultimately a horrible death. The Ice Bucket Challenge started to promote the awareness of the disease. You dump a bucket of ice water on your head, then make a donation to the foundation for research on medication against this muscle disease. Next you nominate a relative, friend or somebody else who also have to dump a bucket of ice water over the head and make a donation. Now we also have participants in Sos?a for the challenge. In recent days, for example, the regular visitors of Britannia Bar in the main street Pedro Clisante had an ice bucket dumped over their heads. The participants nominated other visitors to do the same. So this can go on for a while in the Pedro Clisantee.

But all this for a good cause.
Video: YouTube
Video: YouTube

Meems

May 1, 2013
The part that everybody seems to be missing about this---and I grant you, it is a genius bit of marketing/awareness--is the DONATION part. Ice water is fine, but it's the money part that matters.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The part that everybody seems to be missing about this---and I grant you, it is a genius bit of marketing/awareness--is the DONATION part. Ice water is fine, but it's the money part that matters.

Exactly - if you are challenged, you have two choices: Dump the ice water over your head and donate $10 to ALS [some give more I know] or don't do the ice, and donate $100 to ALS.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Stupid Fad

Can someone enlighten me what the ice is for??? :cross-eye

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To keep this DR related, has anyone heard of anyone elsewhere in DR doing this?

I've got a lot of DR friends on Facebook, and I've yet to see any of them with the ice bucket.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Pop culture and all that.
Social media, get your mugg/name out into the ether....
All very ostentatious.
For those who love to jump on bandwagons....It is tailor made.
Sorry for the cynicism...
But that is how I see it.
Why don't people just write the darn cheque?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think this got so big because celebrities got involved and it spread. Even the Today Show did it, and president Bush. Howard Stern punked out with a shot glass. All fun, while raising money for an important cause. Astronomical amount collected worldwide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk