Gallup poll: Medina government is less corrupt

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Code:
The latest Gallup-Hoy poll says 55% of Dominicans feel there is less administrative corruption in the Danilo Medina administration compared to the previous Leonel Fernandez administration. Both represent the same political party, the PLD.
For the poll, 1,200 eligible voters were interviewed between 29 August and 2 September 2014. The margin of error is 2.8%.
Todos los resultados de la Encuesta GallupHoy de hoy martes

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Code:
The latest Gallup-Hoy poll says 55% of Dominicans feel there is less administrative corruption in the Danilo Medina administration compared to the previous Leonel Fernandez administration. Both represent the same political party, the PLD.
For the poll, 1,200 eligible voters were interviewed between 29 August and 2 September 2014. The margin of error is 2.8%.

Is the way that Medina has governed likely to affect how Leonel governs if elected to another term?

Will he be like his first term, when he was very popular, or his latest years as president?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The odds are that former President Leonel Fernandez will return to the Presidency in 2016. He has told a close aide, who is a good friend of ours, that he wants a chance to improve his government and remedy that for which he has been criticised. So yes, the Medina government may have an effect on how he governs.

Nevertheless, there is much skepticism regarding his next government because he has surrounded himself by questionable people including Victor Diaz Rua and Felix Bautista.

I would think if he decided to run, he would not be opposed within the party.
I do not think that Medina will seek to change the Constitution so that he can run for re-election.

Given that the PLD has all but eliminated the opposition, it is likely they will win again, regardless of who the candidate to President is.

In his first term (1996-2000) remember who was his "prime minister", Danilo Medina. The prime minister was running the government then.

I would say that Fernandez's big achievement was the international promotion he did for the country. He has been a great salesman for the country. Locally, people cannot say the same thing, given the high cost of politics in widespread corrupt practices, creation of big government at the cost of small business and the middle class.

But given that through his strategic political moves he disseminated the opposition, the party can comfortably cruise into the 2016 presidential election confident that whom is chosen will be the next President.

Then people will compare the Medina administration to the Fernandez administration. And it could be very likely that Fernandez will pass government back to Medina in 2020.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Lieonel"

He has told a close aide, who is a good friend of ours, that he wants a chance to improve his government and remedy that for which he has been criticised.

That's why people call him 'Lieonel'.

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please list some examples of what "Leonel's", "International Promotion" has done for the DR?????

The ONLY thing he "Promoted" internationally was HIMSELF!!!!

The "Breezes Are Blowing",...but it's just more hot air!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
School "Buildings" are always popular to get the "Kick Back" on the construction costs.
But, since there are few qualified teachers, what good are they???
Then there are no desks, or books!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
The odds are that former President Leonel Fernandez will return to the Presidency in 2016. He has told a close aide, who is a good friend of ours, that he wants a chance to improve his government and remedy that for which he has been criticised.

It's always about him. Clearly not about the country. He wants to run again to clear his name not because he cares about the peoples well being. He had 12 yrs to think about the legacy he'd like to leave and all of a sudden wants to make things right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The odds are that former President Leonel Fernandez will return to the Presidency in 2016. He has told a close aide, who is a good friend of ours, that he wants a chance to improve his government and remedy that for which he has been criticised. So yes, the Medina government may have an effect on how he governs.

he figured out there is a lot more left to steal. would be a shame to miss such opportunity.

Aug 6, 2006
Education is very important to the future of the DR. Building schools is a very necessary first step. Railroads in the US were build in a far more corrupt way that schools in the DR. But without them, the US would never have progressed. To suggest that no schools should be built is unclever, to say the least.

My guess is that the only people that use the term Lie-onel are English speaking ones, because the play on words does not work in Spanish. As for Leonel, I really don't know much about him.

But I do know that schools are essential to the progress of any country. My opinion of DR politics would be useless even if I knew all about it, because Dominicans have to solve their own problems.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Part of the educational projects from the current government is educating the teachers. They are receiving free education and many workshops from people from other countries. It's not just building schools. Danilo and his govt have made it very clear that building schools is not enough--teachers need to be better equipped for this to work. The education minister admitted that there are too many poorly qualified teachers.

For those of you who speak Spanish and are interested in the subject, you can YouTube a two part radio interview with the minister: Carlos amarante baret zolfm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Who on earth would give credence to what 55% of Dominicans think about corruption. Based on 1200 eligible voters? Silly and totally meaningless.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Code:

Perception is reality. Medina, himself seems more transparent in his everyday affairs than Fernandez. Don't know if this is really true but with Medina going out into the country to see his citizens and discuss programs and policies people feel he is more upfront about issues and they perceive he has run a cleaner administration.