Drain cleaner

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Is there something akin to Draino available here in DR? My sink and tub are slow-drainers and I know the sink is because of food-stuff over the years. Tub probably due to something similar.

I'd rather not bring it back from the States with me, but if it's not available here I'll have to.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many dominicans use a product called plomerito. available in all supermarkets. check instructions because that thing burns big time. do not apply on ceramics/porcelain. you need to pour it down the drain very carefully.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Nacional in Punta Cana has 3 or 4 different types so yes, it can be found in the DR although probably under another name. Here they've got a small sign that says Destapador de Tuberias. Bottle goes from 75-250+ pesos.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
many dominicans use a product called plomerito. available in all supermarkets. check instructions because that thing burns big time. do not apply on ceramics/porcelain. you need to pour it down the drain very carefully.

Avoid using Plomerito. It is very toxic.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
A tip for once you solve your problem…
O
nce my kitchen sink was clogged. The plumber who came recommended to make sure to pour hot water routinely down the drain so this would not happen again. Have done so routinely and have not had another problem in many years. House help and myself have been good at remembering to pour the hot water after lunch on a daily basis.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
So clearly I'm going to have to use the hot water trick until I bring Draino or Liquid Plumber back with me on my next trip. I'm renting, so i'm not pulling *anything* apart to clean out the pipes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You can buy draino/liquid plumber in a number of different hardware stores in Santiago. I bought it at Bellon about a month ago.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
So clearly I'm going to have to use the hot water trick until I bring Draino or Liquid Plumber back with me on my next trip. I'm renting, so i'm not pulling *anything* apart to clean out the pipes.

If you have good water pressure take a water hose with a sprayer with a direct stream wrap it with a rag to fit the drain and blow it out it works good . If you have double sink be sure to plug other side first

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in this case empty a box of baking soda into the drain and then pour a cup of white vinegar over it. the visual effect is quite pleasing and it will unclog the drain a little bit without any damage.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Is there something akin to Draino available here in DR? My sink and tub are slow-drainers and I know the sink is because of food-stuff over the years. Tub probably due to something similar.

I'd rather not bring it back from the States with me, but if it's not available here I'll have to.

Look for Lye. 100% Sodium Hydroxide. This is the active ingredient in Drain opener. Liquid or crystal. Lye is usually sold in crystal form. Don't get it on your skin. First it itches, then it burns. If you do get it on you, use vinegar to neutralize it.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Vinegar and baking powder,the stuff you put in the frig to absorb odor

You do realize that vinegar is an acid, and Baking soda (stuff that adsorbs odor) is a base?? they cancel each other out. neutralize each other. Ever but baking soda on battery terminals that are all funky?? Ever make your kid a working volcano for science class? Same difference.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Sure. Playero has several different products and I'm sure others do, too. They are very effective. Work just as well as draino.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Baking soda and vinegar let sit 15 min than pour boiling water in to the drain

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
I realize that,,,if you pour the baking powder down the drain then pour the vinegar on top the foaming action causes pressure in the drain pipe pushes the clog thru without burning the drain,especially if you have a PVC drain.
How's thaT FOR A RUN ON SENTENCE?LOL

You do realize that vinegar is an acid, and Baking soda (stuff that adsorbs odor) is a base?? they cancel each other out. neutralize each other. Ever but baking soda on battery terminals that are all funky?? Ever make your kid a working volcano for science class? Same difference.

May 29, 2006
If all the drains in the house are slow, you may be getting root intrusion into your septic lines. Bath/shower lines do not normally clog past the S trap. If it's hair, one of the more effective ways is to snake a wire coat hanger down the line with a hook bent on the end.. it can be pretty icky though. I've also found a wet shop vac can remove clogs from the S traps if there is standing water. This is esp handy if sand is causing the blockage. With root intrusion, there are chems that are made for killing the roots but it can take time for the blockage to rot away.

Cheap soap can cause a build up on the inside of the pipes that can be esp difficult to remove. It takes many years for the build up to happen but then you need a grinder on the end of a line hooked up to a drill.

You can check to see if it's past the S traps by dumping about 10 gallons of water down the toilet. If you start getting water coming up through the shower, you have some serious problems. Most of the time, there is enough clear pipe in the toilet for the 2 gallons that go down per flush without causing backups.