9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I will not easily forget the videos of Middle Easterners celebrating the WTC's destruction. I wasn't na?ve about anti-USA sentiment, but media gave me a different sensibility. What was the general mood in the DR? Were there celebrations? Does anyone have anecdotal accounts they are willing to share? Does anyone know of any Dominican Americans who perished in the tragedy?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Washington Post
Wednesday, November 14, 2001; Page C01
For Dominicans, Mourning Upon Mourning

Community Was Still Reeling From Losses at Trade Center

By Alona Wartofsky
Special to The Washington Post

NEW YORK, Nov. 13

An estimated 500,000 Dominicans live in the section of Upper Manhattan known as Washington Heights, but in the past two days, the Dominican community here
has felt remarkably small.

"Dominicans are very close, and all of us are feeling the hurt and pain," said cabdriver Alex Torres, who was born and raised in New York but speaks English with a
Dominican accent.

Washington Heights, which spans more than 40 blocks and several avenues, is where a stretch of St. Nicholas Avenue has been renamed Juan Pablo Duarte
Boulevard, after the founding father of the Dominican Republic. Where sports shops are filled with posters of Dominican American baseball heroes Sammy Sosa,
Manny Ramirez and Pedro Martinez. Where corner groceries sell the starchy, potato-like yautia blanca and plantano verde (green plantains), and botanica shops
offer plastic Jesus ornaments, skin-lightening creams and several varieties of "Money Jackpot" soaps and candles.

And where, now, a community of immigrants is mourning the lives lost Monday when an American Airlines flight en route to Santo Domingo from John F. Kennedy
International Airport plunged into Queens, leaving no survivors. Nearly all of the 251 passengers were Dominican or Dominican American.

"Every Dominican has lost a relative, a friend, someone that they loved, someone that they knew," Fernando Mateo, president of the city's Federation of Livery
Drivers, told the mourners, politicians and reporters crammed into a memorial event Monday night at the Club Deportivo Dominicano -- Dominican Sports Club on
Amsterdam Avenue.

For Ana Nova, a teacher's aide who has lived in Washington Heights since immigrating here 37 years ago, news of the crash was almost too much to bear. "It's a big
blow, losing so many people. It's like losing part of our family," she said.

Along with everyone else in New York, Nova is still mourning the events of Sept. 11. "How much do we have to take?" she asked. "My brother-in-law was in the
World Trade Center and he survived. Now his wife and 3-year-old daughter are gone. I don't even know what to say to him."

Nova said her brother-in-law, Rafael Hernandez, had considered accompanying his wife and daughter but decided against it. "He's still panicked about what
happened and didn't want to fly," she explained.

Community leaders here estimate that as many as 30 percent of the low-wage laborers who perished in the World Trade Center attacks were Dominican. "We were
starting to recuperate a little, then this accident happened and our morale went down so fast," said Club Deportivo Dominicano President Leonard Tapia. "It's very
hard, especially at this time of the year when people are flying down to the old country to be with their families."

Despite initial indications from federal officials that the crash was caused by engine failure, many Dominicans suspect foul play. Today at Genesis Unisex, Magda
Florentino, along with another hairdresser and the salon's sole customer, spent the afternoon speculating about the plane crash. "There's a lot of confusion," said
Florentino. "Some people say maybe it was an accident, but a lot of people say maybe it was a terrorist."

Nearby, Copos Blancos, advertised as "authorized travel agent for American Airlines," was deserted.

"The community has been totally traumatized by September 11," said Nelson Pena, president of the Dominican Day Parade held annually in August. "We are asking
the authorities to investigate to the fullest, because putting a bomb's not the only way to commit a terrorist act. You can also commit a terrorist act by harming a
plane."

Makeshift street memorials, much like those found here in the days after Sept. 11, have materialized throughout Washington Heights. Outside the Deportivo
Dominicano, clusters of carnations and candles in red and white glass holders are arrayed in front of a framed picture of Jesus. Today a man stood before the display
wordlessly, holding a framed photograph of relatives lost.

No one shopped at More Than . . . Flowers on Amsterdam Avenue on Monday. "Today it's a little better," Jan Camillo said as he surveyed his empty store. "We
have some orders, but mostly it's people passing by to put flowers on the memorials."

Outside the Alianza Dominicana, which has set up a community assistance center for families affected by the plane crash, a mural decorated with the American flag,
the Dominican flag, pictures of baby Jesus and a single weeping eye read, "Estamos de Luto" -- "We are in Mourning."

And late Monday night on Amsterdam Avenue at 139th Street, a group of young men arranged 25 red, white and blue candles to evoke the Dominican flag.

Sitting on milk crates and the sidewalk, they passed around a bottle of rum wrapped in a brown paper bag and silently watched the tiny flickering flames. Bachata,
the dance-hall-style music favored by young Dominicans, floated down from a window.

A stranger approached them to ask about the candles. Did you lose a friend or a relative?

They seemed surprised by the question. "It's for everybody," one of them answered. "All of us."

? 2001

For Dominicans, Mourning Upon Mourning

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I'd forgotten about the November disaster as well as its time proximity to 9/11. While the difference in sentiment from one catastrophe to the other is understood, can anyone speak to sentiment from September to November of 2001? And again, What was the general mood in the DR? Were there celebrations? Does anyone have anecdotal accounts they are willing to share? Does anyone know of any Dominican Americans who perished in the tragedy?, during that 2 month period?

Jan 9, 2004
Its one of those days you will never forget where you were when you first heard the news.

It becomes even more tragic when you knew someone on one of the flights....or in one of the buildings, or one of the many rescuers who also perished.

RIP Captain.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I will not easily forget the videos of Middle Easterners celebrating the WTC's destruction. I wasn't na?ve about anti-USA sentiment, but media gave me a different sensibility. What was the general mood in the DR? Were there celebrations? Does anyone have anecdotal accounts they are willing to share? Does anyone know of any Dominican Americans who perished in the tragedy?

I lived in Santiago at the time and it was just shock, disgust, sadness and mourning...flags in Santiago were half mast in government buildings. Santiago was in mourning that week. Many many Dominicans in NY and in the DR and knew somebody who perished in the towers and/or in the plane crash flying out of JFK and crashed in Queens(flight 587) that happened just 2 months afterward.

A friend of mine was on flight 587. I never did think it was an accident. Pilots I know say it was most likely a bomb on the plane.

DR got a double dose of tragedy out of 9/11.

WE WILL NOT FORGET.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One of my cousins was FDNY with Ladder 7 Engine 16 [East 29th Street], it was his day off. Everyone else was in the buildings and died. This is his FB post on Monday:

Tomorrow I, along with 10 other brothers from 16 Engine & 7 Truck are leaving for San Diego to take part in a September 11th ceremony on the USS Midway. Although I look forward to my first trip to California, I wish the reason for it didn't exist. But... we will go and proudly honor their memory. Battalion Chief John Moran, Captain Vernon Richard, Lieutenant Kenny Phelan, Firemen Vinny Princiotta, Bob Foti, Richie Muldowney, George Cain, Chuck Mendez and Doug Oelschlager. We will never forget you

We had reservations on AA for DR that fall, and everyone was asking us if we were afraid to fly. I remember being a bit of a smart ass, saying something like 'nobody wants to shoot down a planeload of Dominicans'. To say I was shocked when AA587 went down is an understatement. We flew a week later, and I don't mind telling you that I was uneasy getting on that plane.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
One of my cousins was FDNY with Ladder 7 Engine 16 [East 29th Street], it was his day off. Everyone else was in the buildings and died. This is his FB post on Monday:

Tomorrow I, along with 10 other brothers from 16 Engine & 7 Truck are leaving for San Diego to take part in a September 11th ceremony on the USS Midway. Although I look forward to my first trip to California, I wish the reason for it didn't exist. But... we will go and proudly honor their memory. Battalion Chief John Moran, Captain Vernon Richard, Lieutenant Kenny Phelan, Firemen Vinny Princiotta, Bob Foti, Richie Muldowney, George Cain, Chuck Mendez and Doug Oelschlager. We will never forget you

We had reservations on AA for DR that fall, and everyone was asking us if we were afraid to fly. I remember being a bit of a smart ass, saying something like 'nobody wants to shoot down a planeload of Dominicans'. To say I was shocked when AA587 went down is an understatement. We flew a week later, and I don't mind telling you that I was uneasy getting on that plane.

A childhood friend of my father was on that fateful flight AA587. When my father was told that he
was one of the passengers on the flight, he was beside himself. It took him along time to accept his death, he was in denial, afterwards.

They were like brothers.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

This is the type anecdote I was hoping for. It refers human character during those days/months. Thanks AE.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'll post!
Any person who could ask the question,"Were there CELEBRATIONS in the DR, is a heartless FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"WTF"!
My son's best friend, David DiMeglio, a friend of the whole family, died that day, we DID NOT CELEBRATE!!!!!
Happy NOW???????
A$$HOLE!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

This thread should NOT BE MOVED!!!!!!!
This thread should NOT BE CLOSED!!!!!!
It should be DELETED!

Jan 9, 2004
Out of sheer respect for those who fell on 9/11.
I will leave the open as it has little to do with the DR.

Thank You.

However, the thread does not deserve to die...no more than the 40+ Dominicans who were killed on 9-11 deserved to die either.

And you can bet that there are lots of families in the DR today..who find 9-11 to be Dominican related.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
I asked my girlfriend about it. She said the country, as she could see it, stopped. People were glued to their TVs, people cried and much like in parts of the States, far removed from NYC, there was a general feeling of sadness. Like people everywhere, when many in the D.R. saw the U.S. attacked, massively, on home turf, people realized that our world had changed.

My experience on that day was surreal. I was a cop in the LA area at that time. I have a lot of memories of watching it real time and trying to grasp what was going on. Two memories that stand out are having to cite-out felony suspects because the LA County Jail closed and wouldn’t accept any bookings. The second is what I saw when I drove around that day: people, everyone, was expressionless in their cars. It was like driving in a city of zombies.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

The video that was widely shown on TV was filmed in East-Jerusalem a group of Palestinian. To believe, it was an instant street party throughout the middle East or Muslim world is incorrect. But Why focus on that ?

The mood worldwide was shock. No one ever imagined that terrorism could reach such a level. I was in NY and I started receiving phone calls from overseas (family and friends are spread out) the minute it happened. Lines were jammed for a good part of the day. Beside the fact that I was safe, every single caller including myself was at loss with words.

As every NYer, I will never forget that day. To this day, I still find it surreal. The sirens, no cars, the sight of people cover in white dust, people crying....difficult, nearly impossible to put into words.

I hope to never live a day like that again.

Last edited:

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Out of sheer respect for those who fell on 9/11.
I will leave the open as it has little to do with the DR.

Respectfully, I disagree. People from 61 countries died on 9/11, excluding the perpetrators. Among Hispanic countries, the Dominican Republic lost the most people.

Two decades earlier, I was working in a minor back-of-the-house role in the kitchens of the Windows on the World on the 107 floor of One World Trade Center. Many of the porters, dishwashers, and cleaners at the restaurant were Dominicans who did the dirty work and who were compelled to endure my rudimentary Spanish. I'm sure many of the 47 Dominicans who died on 9/11 were porters or part of the morning prep and banquet staff.

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Respectfully, I disagree. People from 61 countries died on 9/11, excluding the perpetrators. Among Hispanic countries, the Dominican Republic lost the most people.

Two decades earlier, I was working in a minor back-of-the-house role in the kitchens of the Windows on the World on the 107 floor of One World Trade Center. Many of the porters, dishwashers, and cleaners at the restaurant were Dominicans who were compelled to endure my rudimentary Spanish. I'm sure many of the 47 Dominicans who died on 9/11 were porters or part of the morning prep and banquet staff.

During my college days, I interviewed for a waitress position at Windows of the World. I didn't get the job, I was lucky.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
And we will never forget:

Rajs-110602-0012F3spotks2labSM.jpg

lady_liberty_towers.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'd forgotten about the November disaster as well as its time proximity to 9/11. While the difference in sentiment from one catastrophe to the other is understood, can anyone speak to sentiment from September to November of 2001? And again, What was the general mood in the DR? Were there celebrations? Does anyone have anecdotal accounts they are willing to share? Does anyone know of any Dominican Americans who perished in the tragedy?, during that 2 month period?

Dominicans in general are proAmerican so the likelihood of celebration would be unusual and not typical of Dominican culture. Surely you know that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If they had to "ASK", I guess they didn't!!!!
The "OP" seems to have a lack of knowledge about what went on in that time.
May I suggest a few minutes on "GOOGLE"?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
My son had a Pakistani babysitter at that time. She, her family and friends were not celebrating, they were praying for those who got hurt and scared to get out of the house because of Islamic religion. Most Muslims were not really happy that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.